• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

upB off ledge to edgeguard

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I DID NOT DISCOVER THIS

I've seen this around in a few places but I thought it deserved its own thread.

If, while dashing toward the ledge, a character does a special attack at the exact moment they leave the stage then some interesting things happen. For example, marios cape will make him slide horizontally through the air for a long distance. If olimar uses his upB, then there is no vertical lift (as though performed while grounded) and instead he preforms the pikmin chain attack and then falls down to his death, or if you DI backwards, he can grab the ledge.

This is great for edgeguarding as it fills the dual purpose of hitting the opponent back and edgehogging them all in one swift motion. Here are a couple examples:

Pluck You! An Olimar Combo Video Trailer by shanus <-- 1:10

Olimar (NC-Echo) vs. Zero Suit Samus (El Cancel) <-- 3:35 (very end)

This takes a while to get down well enough to use comfortably but it reallly isn't that difficult. If you hit upB too early you stop short, too late and your chain will actually grab the ledge. you need to hit it at the perfect time. Once you get the timing down you need to learn to DI it at the right moment.

If you Di backwards immediatly then you will turn around and fire your pikmin chain toward the stage before falling to the ledge. I think this could also be useful! If an opponent is chasing you just run to a ledge and fire the chain back toward them while enjoying the invincibility frames from the ledge (I wonder if it would work well against MKs tornado?)

If you want the pikmin chain to fire forwards then you need to wait a few frames for the chain to actually extend before DIing back. I've found that if you time it absolutly perfectly (an instant before leaving the stage), sometimes you don't even need to DI and olimar falls to the ledge naturally. If you're a hair too slow then you can still DI back and just barely grab it at the last second. A little slower and your dead :(

Anyway, give it some practice and add it to your arsenal. I'm sure a lot of you know and use this often but im sure that somebody learned something. This was much much longer than I expected (cuz im blazed), but hopefully you found it useful. Best of luck

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I've found that if you time it absolutly perfectly (an instant before leaving the stage), sometimes you don't even need to DI and olimar falls to the ledge naturally.
Its not that hard to do it without DI. Its the same timing as ledge plucking pikmin.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
Why not just go off-stage (if you have six pikmin) fast fall and recover so that your opponent cant grab the ledge? But it doesnt work against everyone, Marth will stagespike.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
Its not that hard to do it without DI. Its the same timing as ledge plucking pikmin.
yes and no

when you do the ledge pikmin pluck it usually makes no sound; f you upB at that same moment then you still need to DI backwards. Occasionaly, if you are just a hair quicker, you still get the plucking sound and the dirt-like animation before leaving the stage; you need to upB at that moment if you want to do it without DI.

But yes you're correct, it doesn't take too much practice to get down

Does anyone else think that it might be handy to shoot the chain backwards as an attack?

RichBrown

Smash Master
I've seen both of those videos before but i never really thought of how useful that might be. It's a good thing to have in the arsenal, especially against characters like marth, diddy, squirtle, mk, and others who have good aerial priority over olimar. his chain has some whacked out crazy awesome priority, so if the opponent tries to attack, they are screwed, and if they airdodge, then it can lead to some other fun stuff.

definitely requires practice though.

asob4

Smash Champion
I've seen both of those videos before but i never really thought of how useful that might be. It's a good thing to have in the arsenal, especially against characters like marth, diddy, squirtle, mk, and others who have good aerial priority over olimar. his chain has some whacked out crazy awesome priority, so if the opponent tries to attack, they are screwed, and if they airdodge, then it can lead to some other fun stuff.

definitely requires practice though.
oli's upb is one of the few moves that actually transcend priority
goes through walls and doesn't clank

RichBrown

Smash Master
oli's upb is one of the few moves that actually transcend priority
goes through walls and doesn't clank
true dat, definitely makes a case for this becoming a more common edgeguarding technique. top priority + ledgegrabbing invincibility frames= yay

Tamoo

Smash Master
Ive been using this technique for a while now and it proves to be a very good edgeguard tactic, especially against that **** peach. It takes a while to get the hang of but its very useful so its worth it.

Top Bottom