• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Smash Spike %'s

Trillion

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a list that they have compiled of the %'s at which the up smash can spike an opponent? I began working on compiling one myself and then realized there may be one in existence somewhere already. If not, would anyone be interested in helping me to get as much information about this as possible? The reason I believe this to be important is because I believe that it could be very helpful in advancing sonic's game overall. As some of you may have seen in my combo vid, the down throw to up smash could be a very nice combo that with more information about precise %'s at which the spike occurs may help sonic to step it up.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I like this idea!

We've tried before and failed. Usmash is like a whole blob of hitboxes and we just tend to get random spikes. It's a very strange move to analyze. Although, There must be a way to get some kind of data on it. I think it also has something to do with the way your opponent DI's.

Trillion

Smash Ace
If you really do like the idea, then would you be interested in trying to help obtain information on this? I have several ideas as to how we might be able to find some more data. Since people have began being able to hack the game, we may find someone who can analyze what the hit boxes are doing when the spike occurs. It IS rather hard to make this happen, but my idea is that we can try to get replay data of when it DOES happen and send it to the person who can analyze the hit boxes to tell us what exactly is happening.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Eh, I doubt it. :( Who knows, I guess we can split up and test huh? I'll try to do some too, when I can. :D Thanks for starting this magnum.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'll help any way I can, but I sure as hell can't hack my Wii or anything at this point..

Trillion

Smash Ace
I have a few vids of the myself doing the spike on my comp that I'm checking like the fox in my combo vid. I have another of Ivysaur and I think I got a few more that I can check. So, if you guys wanna start with other characters than those to begin with, then maybe we can start to get a list of at least one scenario that works on each opponent.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I'll help any way I can, but I sure as hell can't hack my Wii or anything at this point..
I can't hack mine either and that's ok. I wouldn't want to ask anyone to hack their wii just for this project. If we find someone who has already done it, then maybe they can help.

That actually reminds me. Does any of you guys who play Brawl+ know any way to check hitboxes like this?

Boxob

Smash Champion
The reason why this won't work is because opponents caught up in this move will often try to DI differently every time. So you need specific DI, you need to hit at the right time, at the right percent, with the right character weight. while sliding upsmashing near the edge.

You're better off just letting it be random. Putting thought into it really won't do anything at all. Unfortunately.

:093:

Trillion

Smash Ace
The reason why this won't work is because opponents caught up in this move will often try to DI differently every time. So you need specific DI, you need to hit at the right time, at the right percent, with the right character weight. while sliding upsmashing near the edge.

You're better off just letting it be random. Putting thought into it really won't do anything at all. Unfortunately.

Is it proven that your opponent's DI can affect the outcome? I originally heard that it could, then I heard it couldn't, then that it could again. Either way, I think that larger characters might not be able to do anything about it since they wouldn't be able to DI their bodies far enough away. Even if we are only able to get approximate %'s on characters like Dedede and Bowser, it could still prove to be useful right?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
While that's true boxob, I think we should set up some base percentages. Ex. at this percent to this percent, it will work sooooooooo +/- some stuff and you will know when it definitely won't work and probably will work. Right? =/

Boxob

Smash Champion
Well, different DI will give you different working percentages. In general, you should just know that it will work anywhere from 20 to 80ish, after that, nothing.

There really isn't much else to it.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I agree with you, Boxob that there is a lot of different variables in determining what the percent is. It may be that we are completely unable to narrow the margin to being anything less than 20 - 80%, but I think that if we can even narrow it from a range of 60% to a range of 30%, then it would be worth it. Perhaps not, but a little testing can't really hurt anything, so might as well see if we can't figure anything out.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
So I pulled off the upsmash spike in a real match a couple of days ago.

Against a semi-decent player.

It was teh_sex.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I actually pulled one off on an Ivysaur a while back.
Then edgehogged him for the kill because he was too slow probably thinking "WTF was that ****?"
He was at a bit under 70% I think. Typically, the percentage range is between 40%-80%, depending on weight of the opponent.

Ehh, it's still pretty useless though. The character has to be at pretty low percents, and so the knockback throwing them down off the edge won't be enough to kill them or even make it so they can't recover with their two jumps + optional Up B.

Plus I'm too busy thinking of other things in game anyway. Useful things.

Top Bottom