• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up my video game .... game

GeneralD2.0

Smash Rookie
So I have played smash bros. for some years and all ways played for fun. Hang out with my friends pull the 64 and just punch each in the face until we are bored or fall asleep. Now I am older and I have gained some form of competitive battle lust. I do not desire to play with my friends for fun but rather for glory.

The problem with that is:
1. I main lil mac
2. I do not know how to play any other character
3. All those things like baiting, canceling etc. go right over my head when it comes putting them into action

I was hoping someone could give some tips or some video links on these things when it comes to the play styles or skills.
When it comes to characters I have no idea what so ever. I pick lil mac because for some reason I love playing boxers in fighting games. I never really thought of using any one else. if anyone has any words of wisdom that would great and even more appreciated.

Toadoroki

Smash Rookie
Hey, man. Definitely a good place to start is with Izaw Smash's videos. He's an awesome guy, the vids are professional and clear, and he really helped up my game back in Smash 4 when I went to tournaments. I'll link one of his "Art of Smash Ultimate" vids. Even if you're rolling your eyes at how basic it seems, there is plenty to learn and plenty to practice.

Also I have absolutely nothing against Little Mac, but if you're really trying to get a feel as a new serious smash bros player, I suggest starting off with someone a bit more linear. Mario, Samus, Fox, DK are all great places to start. Little Mac is grear, but if you're trying to learn the game with him it can be difficult. He has a really specific playstyle and you won't learn to be utilizing aerials, reading, B-reversing, and some other great tools with him. I'm all for you maining him, but come back to him after you have a great grasp on the fundamentals.

You said you didn't know how to play anyone else, but maybe try Young Link? He's more similar to the links you played in 64 and Melee. Very straightforward, powerful, and doesn't need complicated tech to be played decently.

Just be sure to always be aware and search for new ideas. I love to watch matches on youtube in my freetime from channels like VGbootcamp. Smash can be surprisingly complex and you'll learn a lot through analysis.

Finally, as cheesy at is sounds: have fun. A lot of smash players can agree that the game can become frustrating if not downright infuriating. Don't get bogged down trying to become the best and don't give up something because it doesn't immediately work. It's a learning process and you still need to enjoy it as it is: a video game.

Hope this helps and here's IZAW's video! Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta3L35wsE6o

GeneralD2.0

Smash Rookie
[QUOTE="Toadoroki, post: 22874488, member:
You said you didn't know how to play anyone else, but maybe try Young Link? He's more similar to the links you played in 64 and Melee. Very straightforward, powerful, and doesn't need complicated tech to be played decently.

Do you have any other characters to suggest?

Toadoroki

Smash Rookie
Hmmm, maybe the FE characters. Marth, Lucina, and Chrom, but I wouldn't try any others just yet. It's all up to you though, man. I believe in you!

If you like to get up in peoples' faces and go for grabs, then try Captain Falcon. He's a lot of fun, very simple, and is similar enough to mac in his playstyle. It's completely your choice though. Let me know how it goes, mate.

BK SAMUS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9507-3538
Switch FC
5973-4525-5596
I suck so bad but hearing encouraging advice like this from the community makes me want to stick around longer and keep playing even if the salt is pouring in abundance.

Toadoroki

Smash Rookie
I suck so bad but hearing encouraging advice like this from the community makes me want to stick around longer and keep playing even if the salt is pouring in abundance.
Keep at it, man! Can't wait to see your Richter in grand finals some day

Top Bottom