• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up+b

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah for anyone who wants to save that video in good quality:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html

But yeah I just finally noticed Yoshi's Up B distance and I came straight here lol! SO much better than previously stated (I believe Gimpy said it was like Mario's cape except never dies down)! Man I cant wait to try out my main once more...

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Yeah for anyone who wants to save that video in good quality:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29932.html

But yeah I just finally noticed Yoshi's Up B distance and I came straight here lol! SO much better than previously stated (I believe Gimpy said it was like Mario's cape except never dies down)! Man I cant wait to try out my main once more...

thanks...

now we can see how much distance he covers more clearly:

woohoo...

S2

Smash Lord
Looks like its going to be okay for getting some extra horizantal distance, I wonder if its going to be usable multiple times in the air (without losing a lot of verticle height)?

I think the new airdodge is going to hurt Yoshi, because in Melee he could use it get an extra bit of verticle height.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Looks like its going to be okay for getting some extra horizantal distance, I wonder if its going to be usable multiple times in the air (without losing a lot of verticle height)?
You can, but you go down just a tad. However, his movement towards the stage is what we want, which he now has.

I think the new airdodge is going to hurt Yoshi, because in Melee he could use it get an extra bit of verticle height.
Not really. You can use it multiple times in a row, but gain no distance. That might be bad, but it affects the other characters too. And, his Up B is now better anyways, so even if the airdodge system was the same, I would use his Egg Toss.

Also, his Side B (Egg Roll) can now be used to grab the stage, rather than bounce off the side wall of the platform and fall to to your doom.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Also, his Side B (Egg Roll) can now be used to grab the stage, rather than bounce off the side wall of the platform and fall to to your doom.
Has there been a video of this? I've heard that too, but I just want to kinda see it in action. I was thinking if you could it could be used more like a quick ledge guard if you knock your opponent off the stage and you need to get to the ledge quickly, but you're kinda far away, just egg roll across the stage and hug the ledge after you go over it. Should work right?

Chepe

Smash Lord
Holy, are you for real? I used that move carefully in Melee to stall in the air and mess with my foe's aim when edgeguarding, but it was dangerous at times because you could just be off by a little and fall to your doom. Being able to grab the edge with it makes it much more safe!

S2

Smash Lord
You can, but you go down just a tad. However, his movement towards the stage is what we want, which he now has.

Not really. You can use it multiple times in a row, but gain no distance. That might be bad, but it affects the other characters too. And, his Up B is now better anyways, so even if the airdodge system was the same, I would use his Egg Toss.

Oh no doubt Yoshi's recovery is going to be better in this one for sure. I'm just sad because the old air dodge could be use to save him in situations where you needed only verticle height and horizantal distance was not a factor (ie a late meteor cancel).

I'm glad Sakurai did something about Yoshi. His limited recovery in Melee basically held him back as a character.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Has there been a video of this? I've heard that too, but I just want to kinda see it in action. I was thinking if you could it could be used more like a quick ledge guard if you knock your opponent off the stage and you need to get to the ledge quickly, but you're kinda far away, just egg roll across the stage and hug the ledge after you go over it. Should work right?
I don't know, I still need to find a video. Also, this would be easier fir a quick attack for the ledge (using it over and over, still regrabbing the edge).

*Goes searching for a video...*

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
I would love to believe this Yoshi Egg roll grab, but no video=no proof=sad kunai abuser...

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I THINK I've seen it in a video somewhere, but I can't say for sure as it's been a while. And I can't remember which video it was, either. It sure is a needed improvement for Yoshi though, it might even make it a good move.

Kamagwi~Yoshi

Smash Rookie
I've been in the shadows as to what's been going on in the Smash Bros. universe lately, but I've looked at a lot of Yoshi-based content considering that I've already flagged him as my main since SSB. In any event, I must say that after watching Yoshi evolve the way he has since SSB, I must say that I am entirely happy to see the momentous changes that were made to this character.

Initially, I was disappointed to see the effect that Yoshi's Up+B has on his trajectory, but after some thougtht, I saw that it was the best choice for him, as to avoid making him into something crazy impossible to kill ( Imagine Fox, without fastfalling *shudders*). I think it helps Yoshi users - the good ones - get some more ground through the base parameters of the character, because skill can only unlock the potential of what is already there, it can only do so much for Yoshi. This merely opens up more options, tools even for the good Yoshis to use.

As for anyone who complains so much in these forums, they need to get better at using Yoshi so they can understand that this Dinogon (somewhere between a Dinosaur and Dragon) has been buffed in a lot of areas. This means that Yoshi will be better able to avoid those helpless situations in the first place. So be glad that they even considered giving him a little floaty repeating egg throw capability after all the other augmentations they gave him.

All in all I'm looking forward to using Yoshi more than ever. I can't even think to complain about him at this point.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I've been in the shadows as to what's been going on in the Smash Bros. universe lately, but I've looked at a lot of Yoshi-based content considering that I've already flagged him as my main since SSB. In any event, I must say that after watching Yoshi evolve the way he has since SSB, I must say that I am entirely happy to see the momentous changes that were made to this character.

Initially, I was disappointed to see the effect that Yoshi's Up+B has on his trajectory, but after some thougtht, I saw that it was the best choice for him, as to avoid making him into something crazy impossible to kill ( Imagine Fox, without fastfalling *shudders*). I think it helps Yoshi users - the good ones - get some more ground through the base parameters of the character, because skill can only unlock the potential of what is already there, it can only do so much for Yoshi. This merely opens up more options, tools even for the good Yoshis to use.

As for anyone who complains so much in these forums, they need to get better at using Yoshi so they can understand that this Dinogon (somewhere between a Dinosaur and Dragon) has been buffed in a lot of areas. This means that Yoshi will be better able to avoid those helpless situations in the first place. So be glad that they even considered giving him a little floaty repeating egg throw capability after all the other augmentations they gave him.

All in all I'm looking forward to using Yoshi more than ever. I can't even think to complain about him at this point.

Great post. Yoshi has recieved nothing but buffs in all areas.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Which by all means we still dont know the implications of. For all we know Brawl Yoshi without DJC will play better than Melee Yoshi with DJC...

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I was just saying he wasn't buffed in all areas. I wasn't saying that Yoshi is going to be worse because he can't DJC anymore -_-

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I was just saying he wasn't buffed in all areas. I wasn't saying that Yoshi is going to be worse because he can't DJC anymore -_-
I think his lost of a DJC isn't a loss at all; in fact, I think this will actually help him more, as he has upward momentum, to follow into a combo (easier Uair-Uair combos, Bair-Anything, etc.).

Sharky

Smash Master
A few notes from playing the game yesterday and today :yoshi:

The side-b does let you grab the ledge. However, this comes at a big price, as you don't get any vertical distance from it anymore. I would not use this as a recovery move, and it's gonna take a bit to get used to not being able to egg-roll onto the stage while hanging onto the ledge. =/

The up-b's recovery ability comes in very handy, mostly because you can use it multiple times. You don't go as far with subsequent up-b's but it's still a decent amount. Edge cancelled eggs are MUCH easier now, though you can't do them as fast as we saw fumi gunning them at in melee.

I'm still getting used to the lack of DJC. It's disappointing in some ways, but it's also useful in others. Keeping your momentum after an aerial is very useful. I particularly like nairs with it now. I would like bairs with it but it's harder to get all the hits on people with it now I think. Also, I think the super armor from the double jump got a slight downgrade. I've noticed more attacks have knocked me back, and at greater distances, while using the double jump. A very sad thing for yoshi, indeed. =(

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, but can you hug the ledge from an egg roll? Like, can you roll off the ledge while in the egg and as you go off push the joystick back to the ledge and end up grabbing it instead of falling to your death?

Thanks for the info :grin:

Sharky

Smash Master
I'll look into it, but I don't think it'd work. I haven't even been able to auto edgehog with anyone but yoshi like I heard we were gonna be able to do. (not that I'm complaining about yoshi still being unique with this) =D

and yes that means yoshi can still edgehog with the double jump, incase anyone was worried about that =D :yoshi:

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
A few notes from playing the game yesterday and today :yoshi:

The side-b does let you grab the ledge. However, this comes at a big price, as you don't get any vertical distance from it anymore. I would not use this as a recovery move, and it's gonna take a bit to get used to not being able to egg-roll onto the stage while hanging onto the ledge. =/

The up-b's recovery ability comes in very handy, mostly because you can use it multiple times. You don't go as far with subsequent up-b's but it's still a decent amount. Edge cancelled eggs are MUCH easier now, though you can't do them as fast as we saw fumi gunning them at in melee.

I'm still getting used to the lack of DJC. It's disappointing in some ways, but it's also useful in others. Keeping your momentum after an aerial is very useful. I particularly like nairs with it now. I would like bairs with it but it's harder to get all the hits on people with it now I think. Also, I think the super armor from the double jump got a slight downgrade. I've noticed more attacks have knocked me back, and at greater distances, while using the double jump. A very sad thing for yoshi, indeed. =(
I'm guessing you got Brawl? This is very good, as you'll be able to answer our questions about the game (including the one above).

Yesh! :)

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ah, a Yoshi player with the game?! Great, that means you can answer me something. See, I have reason to believe that Yoshi can DJC with his air dodge as explored in this thread:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=130447

So yoshinator, can you try something out for me? Can you try air dodging with Yoshi IMMEDIATELY as you start the second jump? As in, air dodge right as Yoshi is dipping down before going up with his second jump? Can you try many times and tell me if there is ever an instance where Yoshi air dodges down to the ground instead of going up? Because in the demo video in that thread he did that, and I want to know if it is still in the final product...

Sharky

Smash Master
Yeah, I've seen other people with the game that have reviewed the characters, but I'm of the opinion that someone who didn't really know yoshi previously can't truly determine how good he can be here, at least not so quickly. I saw another guys's "tier list" earlier today, and he placed yoshi at the very bottom of the list, giving him a 1 out of 10. He claimed that all of his attacks were nerfed, and I noticed several mis-statements about some of his attacks. He obviously didn't know how yoshi works. >.<

That's a pretty interesting question, I'll have to look into that. I don't think it'll do any good, though, if you're trying to come up with some type of "yoshi wavedash." I've tried short-hopping, and air dodging at the end of the jump so it goes into the ground, and got no wavelanding effect. I'll give it a try though, cause it does seem like an interesting concept. More on that next time I come by to post, I hope.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I saw another guys's "tier list" earlier today, and he placed yoshi at the very bottom of the list, giving him a 1 out of 10. He claimed that all of his attacks were nerfed, and I noticed several mis-statements about some of his attacks. He obviously didn't know how yoshi works. >.<
Where? I'd like to give him a piece of my mind. :)

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
I'll look into it, but I don't think it'd work. I haven't even been able to auto edgehog with anyone but yoshi like I heard we were gonna be able to do. (not that I'm complaining about yoshi still being unique with this) =D

and yes that means yoshi can still edgehog with the double jump, incase anyone was worried about that =D :yoshi:
Sweet. The instant edgehog was my favorite move, and I'm hoping that they took out the auto edgehog for everyone else.

Anyway Yoshinator, I was wondering if you could answer two questions for me. First, is it possible to upair an opponent twice within the scope of a single second jump, or do they fly upward too fast?
Also, how far is the fixed distance of dtilt in Brawl?

Thanks.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've seen other people with the game that have reviewed the characters, but I'm of the opinion that someone who didn't really know yoshi previously can't truly determine how good he can be here, at least not so quickly. I saw another guys's "tier list" earlier today, and he placed yoshi at the very bottom of the list, giving him a 1 out of 10. He claimed that all of his attacks were nerfed, and I noticed several mis-statements about some of his attacks. He obviously didn't know how yoshi works. >.<

That's a pretty interesting question, I'll have to look into that. I don't think it'll do any good, though, if you're trying to come up with some type of "yoshi wavedash." I've tried short-hopping, and air dodging at the end of the jump so it goes into the ground, and got no wavelanding effect. I'll give it a try though, cause it does seem like an interesting concept. More on that next time I come by to post, I hope.
Thank you for trying out my request. Oh, and Im stealing your first paragraph for a thread here on the Yoshi forums that is complaining about that guy..

Chepe

Smash Lord
Dude, dont. Like yoshinator has said, that guy doesnt know how to handle Yoshi and is trying to play him like its Melee. Dont go start something now...

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Dude, dont. Like yoshinator has said, that guy doesnt know how to handle Yoshi and is trying to play him like its Melee. Dont go start something now...
Than he shouldn't have said anything. He's looking for people for Fox and Kirby. He could have at least done that. He didn't back anything up either, and the whole thread is stupid. There are already tons of topics from people who own Brawl and have played non-stop for 60 hours. He only played 20 hours. And, from his "knowledge", it only looks like he played 20 minutes.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I agree. But you got to admit he's going a lot out of his way to make Yoshi seem a lot worst than he really is.

Sharky

Smash Master
Now, now, don't start a flame war over it. I said I didn't agree with him, but I'm not gonna go "make war" over it, I dont' want people to see yoshi players as getting pissed at anyone who doesn't know much about the character. =/

I tried to work out that double jump air dodge thing today, but my fingers weren't fast enough, I'm afraid. The best I got was an airdodge that went slightly upward. I'll keep working on it though, as it can do nothing but help out my game. =)

I did some more work on edge-hogging today too, and it turns out other characters can do it, though it involves good timing on their part. It's done by dashing to the ledge and turning around just before you fall off. The sliding from turning around takes you off the ledge. It's slightly slower than yoshi's edge-hog, which slowed down slightly, itself, due to yoshi being a bit more floaty. It's still effective, though, don't worry. =)

Chepe

Smash Lord
I agree. But you got to admit he's going a lot out of his way to make Yoshi seem a lot worst than he really is.
Perhaps, but it doesnt really matter as in time people will realize Yoshi's true potential as more people get the game. Like yoshinator said, no flame wars, it only makes us look insecure...

Top Bottom