• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-b shenanigans

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Hey people,
I noticed that on stages with hard platforms, like Arena Ferox, you can do some weird stuff with Luma. If you up-b with Rosalina hitting the hard platform but Luma unobstructed, the two will be split up. Luma will continue on what would have been Rosalina's flight path and Rosalina will stop at the platform. If you then Fair/ Bair Luma onto the platform, they will be split up without Luma immediately returning. On Ferox for example, you can split the two up where luma is on top of the platform and Rosalina on the bottom half, controlling two places at once and having near complete control of Luma, so long as a hard platform is between the two. This could potentially be done with stages as well but you would die pretty soon after because of special fall so... don't do that. I don't know if this actually has any possible usages in a match but it is just something that I had found.
I can't upload a video at the time but I would suggest that you guys try this out for yourselves.

TL;DR:If Rosalina's up-B is interrupted by a hard platform, Luma will continue on if he/she/it is not blocked as well.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Okay...on a somewhat related note, this is very similar to an extremely obscure technique I've been using to try and score disrespectful kills in For Glory.

Basically, whenever Luma is untethered, you can run next to it and use Launch star. The Luma shoots up with Rosalina, but because it's untethered, it will retain its trajectory even after Rosalina is put in free fall, and can change her direction. I've been trying to launch my opponent offstage, and catapult the Luma after them for the kill, but it's probably the most obscure and difficult option she has ( Will try again when the wave of terrible Mewtwo players eventually flood in ).

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I just tested that out with the attack up-b (wanted to see if combos could be made) and it seems that, like Rosalina, Luma will NOT continue the flight path and will stop as well.

EDIT: Also, on Arena Ferox, there is one form with hanging platforms and a weird T-looking thing at the center. On this form, you can use up-b from one side of the T-thing (facing into the t-thing) and you will land on the hanging platform on the other side. In this case, it is best to aim forward so that you land on the platform as quickly as possible. Also, if you up-b forward on the hanging platform on the right (and you are facing left), you will land on the other platform on the left side (this also works from left to right). However, I don't advise this as much, as you could be intercepted more easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom