• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B out of shield

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Just to add something, a reversed reverse Up B has slightly more range upon startup than a normal Up B.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, this is where I tell you to learn 2 space.

Really, this should be the kind of thing where you should learn the range of this attack and don't use it if you know your opponent isn't in that range. What this attack does is limit the angles from which your opponent can safely approach your from. Pretty much anything right next to you, upwards at a 45% angle, or directly above you isn't safe from this tactic.

What also is nice is nicking your opponent with a reverse Up-B and then landing on a platform like on BF. It doesn't do much damage, but because it's a hit, it stuns your opponent, and counts towards diminishing returns.
That's the thing, there really isn't that much spacing involved with this attack because of 1. how close you have to be to land it and 2. how you can't "cancel" it like you would for a shielded jab, utilt, or other quick, close range attack with Mario. Once you initiate the attack, you have to go through which is why I would still label it as situational unless your opponent keeps trying the same tactics over and over again and you'd know you'd be safe if you did. (For example, a Jigglypuff who constantly tries to approach with pounds or fairs or an Ike who does it with fairs). It's not like the fmash where it pushes your opponent away if they shield and is fast enough to allow you to counter react if you accidently do it when they're too far away or if they run/roll back when you do it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's upB OOS covers quite a bit of range, especially DI'd horizontally. Since you're guaranteed to get the hit if you do it during shield-stun, it comes down more to reflex than spacing or w/e.

They hit your shield, you upB. Even if they DI backwards, you shouldn't have to worry about it not reaching them. If you screw it up...well...you need to work on that. This is one of the easier things to do in Brawl.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yes, it's very situational. IMO it's just really good against those aerial approaches.

I seem to use it most against Peach players because they habitually approach with floating attacks, especially dair which is easily countered by up-B. Seeng as Peach outprioritizes pretty much everything Mario has, adding up-B to the defensive arsenal is really quite useful.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
you kids need to learn how to uair and utilt with tap jump on LOL
what happened to using the jump cancel? Everything that requires you to do this with the tap jump on you can jump cancel it with buttons....

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I decided to use my tap instead.

But with it off, while shielding push jump then quickly Up B. Its more effective with tap jump on tho.

mikybee93

Smash Rookie
If i use my up-b, i get full damage, but i just dont like falling and not being able to do anything.

And for approach, i usually run up, cape, then beat the living daylights out of them. (My friend always uses lucas, and the side smash is easy to cape and punish)

Matt07

Smash Master
Well, it's harder to get punished on stages with platforms such as Battlefield. On stages like Final Destination :urg:...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's just hard to get reflexive with, especially with tap jump off, but I use one of the shoulder buttons for jumping so I can Up-B pretty well.

I got it off plenty of times against characters like Fox and Game and Watch.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
It's just hard to get reflexive with, especially with tap jump off, but I use one of the shoulder buttons for jumping so I can Up-B pretty well.
Yeah, that. I tried it out earlier today and I could do it pretty well. My main problem will be incorporating it into play. For some reason I have a hard time using ATs by reflex. :urg:

Top Bottom