• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-B out of shield

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Everyone knows about using up b out of your shield by now, or at least i would hope so. Its quick, has great knockback if you hit with the sweetspot, and is relatively safe to use since you can move while in the attack. Its also great at hitting tall opponents like ganon, samus, marth, etc. But what about shorter characters like fox? or Pikachu?

I might have a solution that i've been messing with. I haven't integrated it into my game quite yet, but i'm getting there. In certain situations, one for example being when a fox does a dash attack to your back while you're in a shield, you don't really have a way of counterattacking. Most characters, like samus or even falco can be hit with an up b out of your shield and it will hit them with the full force of the up b. On fox, thats not the case. But what if you jumped first before you did your up b? And i mean, up b just after you get off of the ground. I've been doing this, and it will knock the fox away with the initial hit. Now obviously its not nearly as strong as it would be on the ground, but its still great for a counter attack and its safe. This can be used in many situations where the up b wouldn't normally hit, because when you're in the air, the initial hit doesn't just hit above dk, it hits at his sides too. Like i said, i haven't been able to do this yet as just a natural reaction, but everytime i've done it, its worked out great.....

Your thoughts?

OH yeah, and i was also wondering about something else, but i don't have a copy of smash right now to test it, so if someone could test it for me, that'd be great. I was wondering if you're on battlefield, and you're grabbing the ledge, and there's someone standing near the ledge (hoping to attack you as you get up), i was wondering if you can drop down and jump beneath them (beneath the flat part of the stage), and up b them through the stage. If so, it might be a great way to safely get up since you can survive it easily. Can someone test this theory for me?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
That's pretty nice I'm going to have to start working that into my game.

I just tested out that upb under battlefield and yeah you can hit them through the bottom of the level

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Interesting idea. I think it's worth noting that you can hit small characters who are in front of you with the up B, but it's not very reliable.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try to start using it against fox, i hate that little rodent, especially since he's just short enough to not get hit by the initial hit of the up b on the ground, when falco gets hit by it

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What happens if samus CC;s your upB? >_>.

I've never tried that lol.

Gea

Smash Master
lol, wtf? you've never even seen me play besides maybe that one really old video...
I helped Neal run SCC, nublet.

Well, the strong hit you aren't gonna CC I don't think, maybe at like 0% nd you'll do a slide backwards as you dtilt. The weak hits you're just gonna eat them.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord

Depends on the situation. Are you talking about the up b from the ground? or after the jump? If its from the ground, if samus is crouched, then it won't hit her anyways, and if its one of those times where you're holding down while in the middle of an attack which is still a cc i guess, it depends on the damage she's at. Higher damages, she'll be knocked away from the up b on the ground. Lower damages, she d smashes dk or d tilts.

The up b from the air, it doesn't matter if samus cc's, dk will be out of range and off the floor before samus can punish him after the cc.

Oh, and sorry, i have no idea who you are Gea. lol. Did i ever play you? lol, but honestly, i rarely ever remember anyone unless they beat me. If you don't play me and beat me, its likely that i won't remember you. :lick:

Gea

Smash Master
Naw I was so busy I didn't get a chance to call many friendlies. But **** it I did see you play. Hahaha.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Naw I was so busy I didn't get a chance to call many friendlies. But **** it I did see you play. Hahaha.
Who'd you see me play? Anybody good? lol, i'm betting you probably saw me play hugs, cuz most people saw it. I still can't believe i lost to a ganon. lol

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double post, but i just wanted to say that i got my copy of smash back, and i've been using this technique, and it works beautifully. It's really good against a lot of characters. I reccommend you guys try it out

BUM163

Smash Lord
don't b surprise u lost 2 a ganon. if ur a defensive player ganon has the advantage. dk small shield n a good ganon can overpower dk. that fight requires offense n real good spacing n dodging game. i got more videos up n if anyone wants 2 see, message me here.

BUM163

Smash Lord
also in jungle japes u can up b cancel into a combo, if u timed things right. that battle field trick is risky. a good player like pc will just hit u guranteed, just cuz i try it mulitple times.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I don't like to up b out of shield vs. fox, usually I try to hit him with up b out of an Uthrow or after bairing his shield (expecting him to jump out). Fox is too fast and can **** through your tiny shield too easy to mess with up b from it. I would just roll away.

As for the up b from ledge, it has a weird hitbox and will jack people in front of you even if you use it directly from any ledge. I spam up b when i'm on the ledge (as anyone who's critiqued my videos knows because they always yell at me for it :D) and that tends to happen when i do it. If you got it to work on battlefield going under, I'm guessing you'd never get it to work again. Though it's sweet on levels like brinstar or dk64 where you can rise through the platform. Same idea, jump under the level from the edge, come up with an up b under them. MINDGAMES!

BUM163

Smash Lord
in the midst of battle when sumone is constantly pounding on u, thatz differently n ur gonna 4get at least once to do so. thatz y i have a battle plan 4 each character. regardless ganondorf overpowers dk, but dk has more range n speed 2 evade if u know how 2. whoeva grabs who first also will do dmg to each otha

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The less DK gets hit, the more DK can own I guess.

I find it really hard coming back on the stage against Ganon though. His Bair/Fair **** all entrances.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
For the tiny shield problem, thats what light-shielding is for. :)
lightshield decreases your traction does it not? Therefore getting hit druing a lightshield will only further decrease the chances of your ub b hitting (or especially sweetspotting) the attacker.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
lightshield decreases your traction does it not? Therefore getting hit druing a lightshield will only further decrease the chances of your ub b hitting (or especially sweetspotting) the attacker.
And it also extends the shieldstun lag. :)

I don't lightshield with DK.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Sweet man, this works pretty well. Speeds up DKs game a whole bunch.

I'm a big fan of approaching with a shield, and this just makes it a whole lot better.

good find.

peace out

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I love to approach with a shield, but with DK that seems like a bad idea...?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I'm not saying to sit in your shield, but if you gotta shield, i'd rather light shield. I know it increases your shield stun, but i'd rather shield and roll away, even though it may miss an oppurtunity for an up b, rather than risk getting shield stabbed. But again, thats just a personal preference. I try not to have to stay in my shield longer than i absolutely have to though. Once i have my chance, i either roll out or jump out and away, and then usually go back to dding. lol, i dunno. I always light shield, and i do very well. :lick:

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I completely agree with you mexican, in every aspect you mentioned. lightshielding is great for that. It just doesn't work well if you're trying to up b them from it.

Top Bottom