• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unusual Glitch with Pacman

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
aight so I don't play pacman but something unusual happened. I'll lay out the scene.

I started a match offline, normal smash, on omega halberd. It was Pacman vs Robin.
Robin started the match charging thunder.

I started with a shortened side b, shortest distance possible. I aimed it up for the most part, like straight right for a bit and up at the end. When I got into the air after doing it, I went out of the ball form. At this point, I instantly flew about 3/4ths of halberd's length in the air, right over robin's head.

I no contested afterwards but I didn't know that you could only save replays for completed games.

Has this happened to anyone? I tried to replicate it but I never got it to work again

tl;dr shorten side b with pacman at start of game, randomly float long distances afterwards.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Hmm this is useful in 2 ways:
1. For low to high recoveries
2. If you can attack while moving that extra length, it will create new combos and KO opportunities off the top
Q: Did you move that length after or before the end of side-b? Or was it all combined into one long psuedo side-b

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I think I've seen videos of this before. It's after the attack ends, when Pacman is reverting back to his humanoid form.
It was the same thing, too. Side B angled mostly straight then slightly up at the end.

Edit: Here it is. It was on @Hylian's stream. http://www.twitch.tv/hylian88/c/5627617?t=48m20s
Yes, it was like that. I was a bit higher up than that though, I was a little bit above charizard's head, if we use that video for reference.

And to Jay-kun, yeah, at the end like the twitch video. I really have no idea how to replicate it.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Yes, it was like that. I was a bit higher up than that though, I was a little bit above charizard's head, if we use that video for reference.

And to Jay-kun, yeah, at the end like the twitch video. I really have no idea how to replicate it.
can u give me a time where it is? i don't got time to find it myself

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I finally (partly) figured it out. I am now able to consecutively do these glitches at the start of every match. Yes, I said the start of every match. This is the only time it works, I wanna explain more but gtg...Also you can momentum shift forward AND backward but I haven't tried up or down yet. Can someone tell me some factors that are only found in the beginning of a match that might induce this?
So far I have:
-moves are all fresh
-haven't moved yet

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
There seems to be a specific timing for it at the beginning of every match to do it, and a wind sound happens when you do.
I recorded a video of it that I'll put up tonight, but trying to find a way to replicate this in a useful part of a match.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
There seems to be a specific timing for it at the beginning of every match to do it, and a wind sound happens when you do.
I recorded a video of it that I'll put up tonight, but trying to find a way to replicate this in a useful part of a
match .
EDIT: Please look at @ fromundaman fromundaman post below for more accurate testing and a video
INFINITE LIKES
Yes, if we can replicate this anytime during the match it would be amazing

Concepts I need to check out:
-does it work when spawning?
-does it work at beginning of matches on stages like battlefield (spawning on a platform)?
-does it only work going to the side and diagonally up?
-can you attack out of it or attack while moving?
-can it be done on a diagonal slope?
-can it be done in midair?

Concepts that I have figured out:
-it can work if you walk forward and use it at the start of match meaning, (it can probably work if is always your first damaging move in the start of a match regardless of whether you move or not..I have NOT tested this with jumping..)
-it can work by using it at the start of a match in training mode (tested on FD)
-holding forward or back depending if you are going forward or back will make your momentum flight longer and can result in a quick SD
-I think you have to hold "b" the whole time while doing it (most of you do this unconsciously) AND hold a direction (meaning no neutral control-stick) while doing it
-I think it does NOT have to be the same angle to work
-it can be done on either spawn side at the start of a match

My theories:
-it can be done anytime at the start of a match while on the ground
-it can be done by resetting your stale-move list and using it in a certain spot
-it can be done anytime by tilting you control stick in a certain way, but it is hard to do
-it can be done anytime you have 0%, but is hard to do
-it can be done anytime, but for each point on the stage to do it, there is a specific different trajectory

Most valuable find:

When doing the glitch, after you are pushed by the momentum, you stop abruptly. Now I am almost sure this is because the game thinks that the move is not finished OR that you somehow do another side-b. In the scenario that the game thinks that the move is not finished, we may be able to cancel it/ extend how long the side-b goes. In the scenario that the game thinks you do another side-b, we can unlock it's potential and possibly do 2 side-b's in the air after each other!
EDIT: Please look at @ fromundaman fromundaman post below for more accurate testing and a video

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Here's a video where I'm experimenting with this glitch

http://youtu.be/i2oEU_cgZzY

First example of the glitch working is at 1:45
Before that I was experimenting to see what would make it work (And one time I just messed up).

Here are some things I've found so far:

-It can only be done at a specific time at the start of the match. I've been experimenting to see if it has anything to do with what second is shown on the clock, but so far no dice; seems to consistently require you to start a sideB 3 seconds after the game starts. Easiest way to do this is to start the match charging to orange, then special cancel into sideB.

-It doesn't seem like you can attack out of it.

-It does NOT have to be the first hitbox you throw out in a match (You can see near the end of the video I experiment with throwing out hydrant 1st and it still works), but it doesn't seem to work if you use a normal before doing the side B (Though I may have just messed up the timing, but I tried multiple times, as you can see in the video).

-You can do a SideB at different angles and still have it work, so long as you started it at the right time.

-You do not need to hold B to do this, and while I didn't test it, I don't think you need to hold a direction either; just have to start the side B at the right moment.

-It seems to always push you back the same horizontal distance, but the vertical angle seems to depend on where you aimed your side B.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Here's a video where I'm experimenting with this glitch

http://youtu.be/i2oEU_cgZzY

First example of the glitch working is at 1:45
Before that I was experimenting to see what would make it work (And one time I just messed up).

Here are some things I've found so far:

-It can only be done at a specific time at the start of the match. I've been experimenting to see if it has anything to do with what second is shown on the clock, but so far no dice; seems to consistently require you to start a sideB 3 seconds after the game starts. Easiest way to do this is to start the match charging to orange, then special cancel into sideB.

-It doesn't seem like you can attack out of it.

-It does NOT have to be the first hitbox you throw out in a match (You can see near the end of the video I experiment with throwing out hydrant 1st and it still works), but it doesn't seem to work if you use a normal before doing the side B (Though I may have just messed up the timing, but I tried multiple times, as you can see in the video).

-You can do a SideB at different angles and still have it work, so long as you started it at the right time.

-You do not need to hold B to do this, and while I didn't test it, I don't think you need to hold a direction either; just have to start the side B at the right moment.

-It seems to always push you back the same horizontal distance, but the vertical angle seems to depend on where you aimed your side B.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) nice findings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):)
also, 2 ways this can be used (if it can be used in this way xD)

1. offstage side-b -> momentum glitch back onstage
2. DOUBLES!! Use this move and BAM! you have the other team in the middle and your team on both sides, like a sandwich!
BTW anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole vid here are the times:
1:49 omega stage
4:40 charging orange/ on Halberd's "moving platform" at start of match
5:54 places hydrant first (first wave of water comes out)

Last edited:
Top Bottom