• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unsure of how to combat against Ike.

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
So I seem to have trouble fighting Ike players and I really can't figure out why. I reviewed videos of myself fighting them and I couldn't quite put the finger on it but I just seem to be getting rocked at some points by them. I already learned to try to avoid his uair as much as possible since I can't seem to avoid it ever. Other than that I'm sorta lost on how to do it. Here's two videos of me doing some Zelda vs Ike fighting to show what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkofobOZBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvW5lJo2_vU

I'd like to think that I'm a pretty decent Zelda player but man I just have terrible issues with him.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
...Y-...You rolled right into a charged Fsmash.....

Play AS Ike for, like, a week. Then try fighting one. You're problem is you aren't taking advantage of all the PAINFULLY OBVIOUS openings he leaves and you attack when he doesn't have an opening.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
What terios said and the fact your really predictable

Every single time Ike was above you and you had the ability to you always did an usmash, which your opponents begin to realize and that's why he would fall a bit toward you then use his double jump into a dair. All of Ike moves hurt a lot and because of this repeating error you had the Ike player could much easier secure the win.

Most characters dair are not very frighten so your constant usmash spamming is more effective toward them as even if your opponent does start to catch on to this they can't fully punish you for it and odds are you will get in one or two usmash even if do try to avoid it (you gotta love brokenness).

The reason you were getting hit by the uair so often was because you kept on DI toward Ike and not away. If you know Ike is going to do a uair try not to fall in the same direction as him with your air dodge.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
He takes forever to attack, which is why I find it really easy to beat him.

At the beginning, it was definitely difficult. I kept just rolling right into his attacks.

You have to wait for the right opportunity with Ike. If he tries to aerial you, then air-dodge >> fast-fall >> u-air.

Get used to dodging his attacks. You can stop him with quick Dins, then dodge around him and attack. Get used to timing some FW's too. Use it to land outside his range, then quickly come in for a dash attack, followed by whatever you can get in there next. As soon as he begins his smashes, find a way to get behind him, and smash back.

Basically, to sum it up, stay outside of his range.
Wait for an attack.
Quickly get into your range.
Smash, tilt, or throw.
Get back to safety.
Repeat.

Sheik > Ike, just so you know. If you're good with Sheik, use her instead. Zelda's good, yeah, but Sheik has the upper hand here.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
my opinion: transform into shiek. Zelda can handle him, but shiek does it better.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I was fighting one yesterday. Just learn to block or dodge and you'll be fine.
Remember to block all of his jabs too, lmao. He almost won the match just by jabbing because I keep forgetting to block the last two hits of his jab >___________>

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
Shiek is a man and Ike is a clear homosexual. O_o

I never tried being Shiek against Ike before though. I'm not too experienced with him but I'll see if I can pick him up to be my secondary.

MASword

Smash Rookie
It really does seem to be your predictability. You also tend to be getting punished rather than punishing Ike, which is kind of the opposite of how it should work out. :(

Sheik is just plain fun against Ike, but then you REALLY have to take the punishing role. Use speed to your advantage and react to him.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
As an ike player I'm just going to reiterate what the others are saying, your predictability is to the point that an ike player with any skill should be able to toy with you at the moment. The difference between losing to an ike and winning is honestly very minimal, the first person to throw out a move that is too slow for their own good and misses completely is going to get hurt, bad.

Ike winning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxKqi24nv8

Zelda winning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThNzedjRWw

A day and a half apart, the differences are minimal but even so theyre important. Do not take to the air unless you have your kick game on lock and don't get baited because you will die for it. The first person to throw a quick draw or a din's fire at the wrong time is making their next move off stage. Most importantly, do not get ahead of yourself, even patient ikes are gonna have to stick their neck out and do something outlandish to get over his "slow" moves telegraphing, don't try to outdo it and end up eating an easy edgehog because of it.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
The reason you were getting hit by the uair so often was because you kept on DI toward Ike and not away. If you know Ike is going to do a uair try not to fall in the same direction as him with your air dodge.
Especially this. Zelda's foot may be made out of awesome and cotton candy but you're not out ranging a sword.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
To be honest, Leo, if I were you I'd be equally worried about what that Ike didn't do well as I would about what he did. Like others said, you got predictable and he started catching on a little, but what really surprises me is how long it took him to catch on and how little he punished you for it - he jumped on top of a lot of usmashes that he could've foreseen or responded better to. Also, it didn't look like he knew how to respond to Din's fire very well. Keep in mind that many Ikes will punish predictability better and not get torn up by Din's.

Also, I don't think the video posted by MASword was a great example of a good Ike because he fsmashed waaaay to much.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
yeah im weak to ike as well.... i never expect the hitboxes to extend where they do (like i roll BEHIND him when he fsmashes, but it just hits me with the back)....

ugh... it's really sad, too, when i lose as zamus... who has a big advantage.

Top Bottom