• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Opinions you have of Smash 4

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
I'm bored. Might as well add more here. :p

- Customs should make a come back at majors. At least as a side event. I enjoy them more than doubles sometimes.

- I find timeouts hype to watch, especially with solid players (ex: Salem).

- Though I hate most of the single-players modes in this game, I actually think Crazy Order is a good and enjoyable mode.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
- Though I hate most of the single-players modes in this game, I actually think Crazy Order is a good and enjoyable mode.
You do too?!? I love the mode because it pushes me to learn about my character and makes me think about what I should do. Getting custom moves and equipment is also much easier in crazy orders.

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
Here's my list:
  • Smash Wii U's Classic mode is good. I like being able to pick which fight I want and the rival mechanic is cool
  • 8 Player Smash was poorly done. Most stages are either too big or too small making it hard to enjoy yourself.
  • Adding to that the stage list isn't that good on either version. Put together it's great but on their own it's pretty meh.

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
IMO Cloud isn't even top 5.

Bad recovery (which a lot of the time includes having to burn limit to get back on stage), poor offstage game, below average horizontal mobility and extremely predictable (doesn't have too many strings that start with grabs so shield + punish usually works).

Only thing broken about him are his disjoints (like up air and down air) but I think what makes him a popular choice is that he has a very low skill ceiling so he's easy to pick up for a beginner and easy to play without concentrating too hard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4cloud:is one of the most mind-blowing and best additions to both Smash 4 and Smash as a whole.
I know people don't like how dominant he is in Smash 4's meta and how amazing he is, but you have to take a step back and realize this... Cloud Strife is in Smash Bros. One character we never thought would be added was added.
While I don't like the decisions Sakurai has made with Smash 4 and it's still my least favorite entry, adding Cloud was an amazing move on his part and he's the character I have the most fun playing.

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
1- Fox is the best character in the game (Great neutral, kill combos, movement, etc)

2- Marth is a better swordsman than Cloud (Can kill even earlier with tippers, better edge-guarding and general offstage game

3- Ryu is a top 5 character (Best kill confirms, insane punish game)

PS.
I don't play ssb4 a lot compared to the other games. This is simply an opinion. I could very well just be uninformed. :/

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who doesn't want Smash 4 to get a deluxe edition on the Switch? How can anyone who bought the Wii U version want to flat-out buy the game again when any new additions should reasonably be DLC?

LastTheories

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who doesn't want Smash 4 to get a deluxe edition on the Switch? How can anyone who bought the Wii U version want to flat-out buy the game again when any new additions should reasonably be DLC?
I also hate the idea of a smash switch, I'm scared that the 4 community will leave the game.
Also I think Palutena is in the upper parts of mid tier. Shulk is high tier.
And I think that Lucina has an advantage over Marth in the ditto since Lucinas don't need to space to get the tipper. So if one plays close range we force out more sour spot hits.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i honestly find it bizarre that anyone wants the content they paid upwards of $110 for to be rereleased at launch price, let alone with more that you can't get in the original.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
If they were to add an adventure mode (think Subspace emissary, but with every character involved, and no padded "the great maze" section at the end) As the only new addition to a hypothetical Sm4sh 4 switch game, it would be worth it.

Donwiko

Smash Rookie
NNID
donwiko
Switch FC
SW-2343-2396-7225
I just want say that:

- Duck Hunt is a bad stage. I don't like playing on it and i hate to look at it.
- :rosalina: is overrated.
- :4corrin: :4corrinf: should've not been added to the game.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Here's my list.

I think the 3DS version of Smash 4 is the best version of the game, with a better classic mode, An All-Star Mode that goes in order from oldest to newest franchises, better stages that are more enjoyable to play on even with hazards and gimmicks turned on, Smash Run is fun to play through and is a better way to hunt for customs compared to Master and Crazy Orders, and the online seems to run smoother on the 3DS, with less of the BS that you see in the Wii U version, such as taunt parties. While the Wii U version does have its perks and looks better, the fact that Smash 4 3DS is truly portable helps make it the superior version.

-I think Six Fire Emblem characters is a good number for the series, and if I had my choice, I might even add a couple of more. While I can understand the argument that the series has too many reps, people tend to forget that there are 15 games in the series, all of which have hundreds of potential playable characters with very few ever recurring between games. Fire Emblem has also enjoyed a surge in popularity this generation, going from one of Nintendo's B-tier franchises to a money maker with Awakening and Fates selling millions of copies, and Heroes becoming Nintendo's most popular mobile title in terms of revenue.

Barring Lucina and Roy, the other four Fire Emblem characters also bring their own style of play to Smash, something that would be lost if we cut any of them. Also, on a related note, I will say that Corrin was a great choice for a DLC character.

-I like the Semi-Clones like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Roy, etc and think they all add something to the game.

-I love the idea of custom moves, which makes it a shame more was not done with the idea.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Caryslan Caryslan

Agreed on 3ds opinions especially, and in everything else to an extent.

Greninja's Fair and Fsmash suck and their blindspots make absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
-Cloud's recovery is not bottom 10.
-Ganoncide should be patched out the same way Bowsercide was.
-Aside from F-smash, U-smash, U-tilt, and Shield Breaker, Marth's tips are rather weak
-I hate every DLC character

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy:is overrated.if it weren't for Zero carrying him,Diddy would be nonexistent.
This, If it weren't for the #1 player in the world playing him I highly doubt he would be in the top 10.
If this was so, there wouldn't be other Diddy players winning. There are other Diddy players winning.

Now for my unpopular opinons:

:4mii:this character shouldn't have ever became playable in Smash
:4myfriends: is heavily underplayed and has a lot of potential
:4greninja: same as above
:4bayonetta:&:4cloud: shouldn't have been included and are definitely Pay 2 Win characters

That's about it.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
If this was so, there wouldn't be other Diddy players winning. There are other Diddy players winning.
Think he meant how zeros the only diddy winning majors but even then he still has a ton of other solo mains that accompolish good results so its not like in melee where hbox basically carries puff.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think he meant how zeros the only diddy winning majors but even then he still has a ton of other solo mains that accompolish good results so its not like in melee where hbox basically carries puff.
Ally and Nairo use Diddy as a secondary. It's a real void arguement. There's also MVD, true Diddy loyalist. He's got players, ZeRo just outshines them.

Diddy is actually the character with the best results overall and the most wins, so technically he's the best character. Take that as an unpopular opinion.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Diddy is actually the character with the best results overall and the most wins, so technically he's the best character. Take that as an unpopular opinion.
Is that actually true for all of Sm4sh's lifespan, or only if you limit your calculations to recent results?

L0rd Mace

Smash Rookie
Honestly I think that third party characters were a bad idea (besides sonic) and always will be. Seeing them in the DLC requests annoys me and reminds me of ssf2, a game I am not fond of. I think that smash should only be Nintendo characters, for it was like that in 64 and Melee.

Also seeing characters like Naruto and other anime characters really disgusts me.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say that Diddy is the best character since his dominating results with Zero has dwindled drastically for a while now, but for the people saying Diddy isn't top 5, my question would then be, "well who are the top 5 then?" Cloud, and Bayo are obviously pick for top 5, I'd then say ZSS is there, but a lot of people think she is carried entirely by Nairo just like Zero does for Diddy. Diddy is without a doubt top 5, Zero has shown the optimal Diddy, but I would probably put him below Bayo and about tied with Cloud since while Cloud has more MUs that are drastically in his favor, he also has MUs that are drastically bad for him while Diddy does not.

So for everyone that don't think Diddy is top 5, list 5 characters that are definitively better than him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ice Climbers should have made it back to sm4sh
I actually thought they where a good ridance cause of the Smash dev team not being able to get their grab game right two times in a row. Plus, nobody actually ever suggested them being in. They where picked out of a gimmick, and the gimmick is what made them horribly imbalanced and got them cut in the end. I still stand by my opinion, that a ******-free Smash is a better Smash.

D

Deleted member

To me, :4palutena: is literally the worst ****ing character in the game. I'm a casual Smasher so I don't speak comptitive language, but Palutena's moveset is just god awful. She has one damaging Special and it ****ing sucks, and most of her other moves just aren't satisfying to use other than her USmash. I like her as a character and I think she's a good addition to the roster, but her playstyle is completely awful and I think she needs a massive moveset change in the next installmants.

Oh and :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: are awful wastes of the dev team's time and resources.

D

Deleted member

Oh and :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: are awful wastes of the dev team's time and resources.
Hmm...not necessarily. To me, this create-a-character nuance was the best idea they had thus far for the series. Who would not want to make :4mii:s based off themselves or their favorite fanciful characters? Let me be honest with y'all: the only reason I even play as them are because of some of those DLC outfits the development team worked on. Only bought six of them (Ashley, Viridi, Business Suit, SSB T-shirt, Inkling, and Isabelle) because they looked good. The others are "meh" to me.

Sayonara :kirby:

Top Bottom