• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlocking characters! Choose your weapon

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
So I don't know how many people know this, but in brawl every character (to my knowledge) was unlockable 3 different ways.
1. SSE, seeing how there isn't going to be a giant story like this I doubt this will return
2. Old school, Completing classic, event matches, adventure ect. This is in every one, so I expect a return.
3. Playing matches, in melee and brawl 1000 vs matches unlocked every character... some like luigi being as simple as 2 matches. (I assume this will return as well)
First of all, how did you unlock your characters in brawl? I've unlocked both ways in melee, completed 64, and I never did the classic mode in brawl, I did however do the thousand matches. It seemed overly tedious to fulfill the requests for old-school method when I need to do the subspace anyways (for trophies).

The reason doing it old school was such a pain in brawl, was because requests like beat the game with every character, becomes a playthrough with 34 characters. I expect smash4 to have more. So Lets just say 40. some are expecting more, but I say this is a safe number. This would become increasingly annoying playing through the same thing. At some requests multiple times. Even in melee, it got to be almost too much. (Adventure mode just took forever)

So overall discuss what past methods have been used, what you like, what you don't like, what you think the methods will be in U/3ds, and the overall process of unlocking.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I know something exactly Ike SSE won't return. But I hope that some sort of 1 player mode aside from classic exists and all star. I don't know exactly what that would be, but the idea of only being able to unlock characters like unlocking achievements as it was in past games kinda feels like a chore... And one that would take a long time for me, since I don't have that much time to devote to video games anymore.

I'd like to be able to unlock characters ASAP so that I can get to the point where what little playtime i get is mostly multiplayer matches with friends with all characters available.

Either that or have some sort of cooperative mode of any sort that expedites the process. Something not as large in scope as SSE but still something more than plain match after match.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Id actually like story mode/event battles to unlock most characters, as grinding classic/allstar isnt the most enjoyable experience.

Stuff like matches and time arent good concepts to unlock characters.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Smash bros needs at least a cheat code so you could get all the characters from the start. Unlocking characters is an outdated concept, that many are opposed too. It was cool how Brawl offered you all those options of unlocking though.

SSE was the easy way, put in 8 hours in the story mode to beat it plus an extra hour to find the 3 hidden characters, plus ya get rewarded with awesome cutscenes.

Completing Classic gave you a way to unlock the characters in whatever order you wanted, depending on who you beat classic with. But it can be repetitive if the characters you fight are in a preset order, as is the case in Brawl.

I didn't know you could unlock stuff by playing matches, I remember in melee it was based off how much time ya spent fighting in vs matches.
I really suck at fighting bosses in smash bros, I was so used to the character's movements, and couldn't beat crazy hand so I was unable to unlock anything. I found out that you could just unlock people by playing for hours. I spent 4 hours a day playing smash for a week to get mewtwo. I thought it was strange I hadn't unlocked him by this point until I realized I had only been playing in Special Melee's lightning mode, and the game only counts hours played in regular vs matches. This method is weird though as the amount of time you play varies depending on how many players you are with. 5 hours for 4 players, 7 hours for 3 players, something for 2 players and 20 hours if you play by yourself, not to mention you can just set a match to time and leave it running. This method's broken.

Personally I prefer being able to unlock the characters in whatever order you want, by beating a game mode once with a certain character. But you need to look up which character unlocks which in which mode online which ruins the surprise, on second thought this method sucks too.

Ya know what, I just like the surprise of unlocking characters. But they should include a sort of checklist, similar to the challenges mode in Brawl. With a list of challenges you know what you have to do to unlock something, without knowing what it is you will unlock.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel about unlocking through event matches? I feel they could take event matches to the next level... It also might be interesting if aside from the regular event matches each character had their own like event match timeline, of course ending with an epic showdown. Give a little story with every character, mario vs bowser, kirby vs DeDeDe, link vs Gannon. It would make for a cool way to unlock characters.

EDIT:... lmao wii fit trainer vs wario

[Corn]

Smash Ace
How would you guys feel about unlocking through event matches? I feel they could take event matches to the next level... It also might be interesting if aside from the regular event matches each character had their own like event match timeline, of course ending with an epic showdown. Give a little story with every character, mario vs bowser, kirby vs DeDeDe, link vs Gannon. It would make for a cool way to unlock characters.

Well, that is what I suggested

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I loved EM in Melee.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
In Brawl, I unlocked the characters through subspace, not because I wanted to unlock them all immediately, but because i wanted to watch the cutscenes and experience the story.
I think smash 4 should really go back to the melee way of unlocking things (ex. 100 man melee, really hard event matches)
If i had the option i would start off with only start off with only mario, pikachu, link, and kirby.
If this smash game is going to be the newest one for another 5 years, i want unlocking characters to be extremely hard.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
In Brawl, I unlocked the characters through subspace, not because I wanted to unlock them all immediately, but because i wanted to watch the cutscenes and experience the story.
I think smash 4 should really go back to the melee way of unlocking things (ex. 100 man melee, really hard event matches)
If i had the option i would start off with only start off with only mario, pikachu, link, and kirby.
If this smash game is going to be the newest one for another 5 years, i want unlocking characters to be extremely hard.
I like yo style

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo

Actually that sounds like a really good idea. Each character having their own little mini story based on their series and you could unlock one/the other characters from their series by completing it.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Actually that sounds like a really good idea. Each character having their own little mini story based on their series and you could unlock one/the other characters from their series by completing it.
The only problem with it, is for characters who don't have any other characters in their game. Wii fit trainer have her beat up all the heavy characters, but as for like the villager.... i mean thats tough.

And sorry for taking your idea corn, I didn't really read into it lol.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Id actually like story mode/event battles to unlock most characters, as grinding classic/allstar isnt the most enjoyable experience.

Stuff like matches and time arent good concepts to unlock characters.
Honestly, I could probably live without some alternate adventure mode if and only if they made an in depth and creative event match list. It wouldn't happen, but just imagine if there were 200 some utterly amazing and creative event matches, and that was how you unlocked most characters. That would be amazing! A better adventure mode definitely works though, and is more likely to happen.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Honestly, I could probably live without some alternate adventure mode if and only if they made an in depth and creative event match list. It wouldn't happen, but just imagine if there were 200 some utterly amazing and creative event matches, and that was how you unlocked most characters. That would be amazing! A better adventure mode definitely works though, and is more likely to happen.

Well, my idea of an adventure mode is a short 3-5 minute long platformer/battle area like SSE, but with characters from that specific characters universe. Then it would end with a boss fight specifically for the characters.
Repeat that for each character.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Well, my idea of an adventure mode is a short 3-5 minute long platformer/battle area like SSE, but with characters from that specific characters universe. Then it would end with a boss fight specifically for the characters.
Repeat that for each character.
I really like the idea, but my previous response still stands.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I hope we can unlock them thru classic, story, Event Matches, or Brawl matches. I love the whole challenger approaching thing lol.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
They should have a loyalty system to unlock characters of certain franchises.
Example, to get Luigi you'd need to score 50 or 100 KOs with Mario, Peach or Yoshi. Then you get the challenger approaching event.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
They should have a loyalty system to unlock characters of certain franchises.
Example, to get Luigi you'd need to score 50 or 100 KOs with Mario, Peach or Yoshi. Then you get the challenger approaching event.
It's an interesting thought, but I think it would get old fast. I personally am not a fan of match grinding too unlock characters regardless of the specifics of said match grinding.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel about if you have brawl memory on your wiiU it insta unlocks all returning characters? For some of you that sounds like a saving grace,,,, with an option to deny it of course.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
SSE sucked hard. It took all the fun, effort, and sometimes randomness out of unlocking characters, on top of being the story equivalent of a 3rd grader playing with his toys and making himself the hidden ultimate villain. If you don't have time to unlock characters, or if it's too hard, or if you just find it all a chore, you can just use someone's save data, for Yoshi's sake.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just picked up Melee again. I really like that there are multiple ways to unlock each character. Personally my favorite were the Versus Match unlocks. It is really fun to grind it out and play 1000 matches to just unlock one character. I hear that Sakurai is going to make the game more appealing to competitive players though. Competitive players want everything unlocked at the beginning for obvious reasons. I really like to grind though. I wiped my memory card so that I could experience unlocking everyone again.

In Brawl I didn't mind the SSE. It was an easy way to unlock all characters. Good for players in a hurry to unlock everything. So something like that in SSB4 would be pretty cool.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I remember the excitement of unlocking characters in Smash 64. Even though I had no idea who Captain Falcon or Ness were at the time, unlocking them felt like a big accomplishment.

I never owned Melee, but I regularly played it at a friend's house and that feeling of success when unlocking a character was still there. Brawl, on the other hand, never made me feel that way. I don't think I've ever unlocked a character in Brawl with the "classic" method (with the exception of Ness, who was relatively easy to unlock that way).

I hope Smash 4 follows SSB64/Melee's route of unlocking characters.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
As long as I can unlock Falco while doing the 100-Man Smash everything is fine for me :D

But personaly I hope it will be a bit harder again to unlock everyone, like in Melee.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
As long as there's both challenging and quick methods, I'll be happy.
Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to grind open characters I want to play as in a fighting game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The old school method, at least the first time around, is always the most rewarding. LET'S DO IT!!!

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I think it would be neat if characters were hidden throughout Adventure mode, and you'd have to trigger some kind of event or open up a secret path to unlock them. Maybe certain characters would be able to interact with things differently, but in ways that make sense, like using Mario's up B on a special block, or having Yoshi ground pound a suspicious floor. There could then be a feature acquired later that lists which areas still have secrets.

You're playing as Samus and you've just blown open a cracked wall with a super missile, revealing an area vaguely reminiscent of Norfair. . . . .

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I think it would be neat if characters were hidden throughout Adventure mode, and you'd have to trigger some kind of event or open up a secret path to unlock them. Maybe certain characters would be able to interact with things differently, but in ways that make sense, like using Mario's up B on a special block, or having Yoshi ground pound a suspicious floor. There could then be a feature acquired later that lists which areas still have secrets.

You're playing as Samus and you've just blown open a cracked wall with a super missile, revealing an area vaguely reminiscent of Norfair. . . . .
As long as they did it well and not like SSE where progress in the mode = character, and for characters like Wolf you have to backtrack.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The only problem with it, is for characters who don't have any other characters in their game. Wii fit trainer have her beat up all the heavy characters, but as for like the villager.... i mean thats tough.

And sorry for taking your idea corn, I didn't really read into it lol.

Yeah, I see what you mean. But at the same time, characters like the Villager could have a rivalry with anyone, given a story behind it. Sort of like a Soul Calibur feel. Characters can have more than one rival.

In Soul Calibur 2, Raphael's "Destiny Match" was against NIghtmare. But if you played as Link, Link's was against Raphael.

For example, We could have a cutscene of Ness getting bonked on the head with the Villager's net. The Villager could be trying to play with him, but Ness doesn't understand that, and thus decides to attack. End scene, begin Destiny Match.

Does that make sense?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yeah, I see what you mean. But at the same time, characters like the Villager could have a rivalry with anyone, given a story behind it. Sort of like a Soul Calibur feel. Characters can have more than one rival.

In Soul Calibur 2, Raphael's "Destiny Match" was against NIghtmare. But if you played as Link, Link's was against Raphael.

For example, We could have a cutscene of Ness getting bonked on the head with the Villager's net. The Villager could be trying to play with him, but Ness doesn't understand that, and thus decides to attack. End scene, begin Destiny Match.

Does that make sense?

Rivalries... Coming from them in PSASBR if they are short and corny like this people just end up hating them and wishing they either weren't in, or done a bajillion times better. Then you have to pick who rivals each other and why, though PSASBR usually did an okayish job on that,

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I just hope there will be many methods of unlocking the characters and they will make sense.
Ex: You master the strongest characters in the game => you get a very strong character. You master the quickest characters in the game => you get a very quick character.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Is it just me, or are trying out the characters the thing I look the most forward to? I'd unlock the characters as fast as possible, get to know them, then proceed to explore the game like that.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
OK I think Melee's style of unlocking was superior to brawl's because it made it more challenging and interesting. But seriously if I have to unlock a new character the same way I had to unlock mewtwo in melee I'll be ummm very annoyed. Because frankly I play vs mode more once I unlocked everyone, I don't want to play 20 hours of VS when I haven't even unlocked everyone!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm fine with just about anything, so long as they don't: a.) add 'masterpieces' and b.) don't require you to play every masterpiece to unlock a character. Or worse: unlock a character by accumulating x amount of trophies and/or stickers. They haven't done this before, but ****, I guess it's still possible if these features return. They can do anything they want.

I'd understand if it were a character like Tingle though.

Top Bottom