• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unlock-able Costumes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
A lot of the Nintendo games released for the Switch have had more cosmetic options than previous games:
  • BoTW had a bigger selection of different clothes than the previous Zelda games
  • Mario Odyssey had loads of alternate costumes
  • Mario Tennis Aces has different outfits
Do you think Smash 5 could expand on the alternate colourings and Mii Costumes of Smash 4 and include special costumes to unlock for different characters? These would be more substantial than an alternate colour and less intricate than a Clone character, but some examples are:
  • Classic Link for BOTW Link
  • BOTW/Classic Zelda for Zelda
  • Dr L for Luigi
  • Classic Toad for Captain Toad
  • Boom Sonic for Sonic
  • Pikachu Libre
  • Disguised Lucina
  • Holiday Peach (with Tiara from Odyssey)
  • Classic Wario for Wario
Think for it similar to a Rare Skin from Overwatch: A slight model change, but not enough to differ in any meaningful way. More could be added as free DLC (think Odyssey), or bundled in with the inevitable paid DLC. The main problem I can see is it being hard to find a strict definition for what counts as a costume and what's just an alternate colour, and some people might be upset that you have to work to unlock them, when similar things were just given to you previously.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yeah, this is a really good idea!

Here's a few ideas I have

Dry Bowser for Bowser
Daisy for Peach (if Daisy isn't in the game)
Detective Pikachu for Pikachu
Assault Fox, Falco, Wolf
All of King K. Rool's farious outfits
Boxing Donkey Kong

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is a really good idea!

Here's a few ideas I have

Dry Bowser for Bowser
Daisy for Peach (if Daisy isn't in the game)
Detective Pikachu for Pikachu
Assault Fox, Falco, Wolf
All of King K. Rool's farious outfits
Boxing Donkey Kong
This are even better examples than mine, especially Boxing Donkey Kong and K Rool

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm more old school. I LIKE the different color schemes method. Maybe a few characters can have an alternate look, but they should be the exception.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Available from the begining, unlockable, or DLC, this is something that ought to be included.

Roberk

Smash Champion
People ask for more substantial unlockables, I think cosmetics like this are the future. After Smash 4 Sakurai doesn't seem so keen on unlockable characters, and other than that it's a handful of veteran stages and miscellaneous trophies and such.

Also, with seasonal events including these additions the game can last much longer than usual. I really want some more single player content in this one, and more unlockables/progression is just the way to do it.

Also: Groom Marth, Grima Robin, Masked Lucina, etc. would be great. Basically, the alts from FE Heroes as costumes would work great as unlockables and seasonals.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I've always really liked the idea of alternate costumes in Smash. One of the things I really enjoyed about Brawl was that there was such a huge modding community adding in endless numbers of alternate costumes to put in. So to think that there's a chance that Nintendo could do official alternate costumes excites me.

It just makes me wonder though, what way would they do it? Would they go with the new lootbox method that so many games these days are going for? Would they lock it behind DLC? Would they just make it all free from the get go? My only hope is that if they do alternate costumes they don't make you have to spend absurd amounts of money just to get cosmetics.

There are also few downsides to alternate costumes I can think of. One being that if a character has a ton of alternate costumes it just makes it inconvenient to go through all the colors/costumes to get your favorite one. Oh, you want this certain color? Well you're gonna have to spend 8 seconds pressing the X button just to get to it every time. Another downside I can see is team colors. Right now with smash most of the costumes just change the color of the character making it easier for team battles. With alternate costumes, depending on how much it changes the character, they'd have to make multiple recolors of that one alternate costume just to make it playable in team battles (Unless of course they go the same rout as smash 4 where they make team colors just an aura around the character). Now what I'm not trying to say is that alternate costumes is bad. I'm just saying that having WAAAYYYY too many alternate costumes could potentially be bad.

Just thought I'd share some of my thoughts. Like I said I really like the idea of alternate costumes. When done well, alternate cosmetics are really cool. So I really hope that if they do go for something like this they do it well.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It'd be an interesting addition. I think perhaps Link from BotW might be given his other outfits in Smash 5, rather than changing the color. He doesn't acquire the Goron or Zora tunic, so there's no point having his Champion's Tunic change colors. Instead, it could be like so. Compare the following with the images of Link's current colors.

• Champion's Tunic
  • Flamebreaker Armor
  • Zora Armor
  • Gerudo Vai Set
  • Desert Voe Armor
  • Dark Link
  • Snowquill Set
  • Fierce Deity

I'm sure there would be more options. As for my favorite character, Samus, she's pretty much set. She just needs the Power Suit, Phazon Suit, and PED Suit (perhaps cause it to become bluish the more damage Samus takes). It'd definitely be nice for the Fusion Suit to be its own, rather than a color palette on her current armor, this way more colors could be added.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
If you've ever played Project M, the costumes for Marth, Ike, Sonic and even Snake are some of my faves

Other than that, I'll have to think about this question longer

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd freaking love this. As a frequent Overwatch player, skins are the stuff I'm always looking forward to when it comes to unlocking stuff, and there's always something new to be unlocked. It'd be absolutely amazing if each character had a few alternate skins that could be unlocked through gameplay, even if only one per character. But of course, the ideal would be each character having multiple unlock options. Like, maybe every character has two alternate models, and each alternate model has three different color variations. On a roster of 70 characters, that'd be 420 skins to unlock, which depending on the unlocking process, would mean you pretty much always have something fun to look forward to. It'd probably be less frustrating than the 376 custom moves too, considering you wouldn't actually need them to make proper use of one of the game's main features. Plus, there could always be a way to pick and choose, they don't necessarily have to be random unlocks, and no one needs to get all of them other than hardcore completionists.

There are also few downsides to alternate costumes I can think of. One being that if a character has a ton of alternate costumes it just makes it inconvenient to go through all the colors/costumes to get your favorite one. Oh, you want this certain color? Well you're gonna have to spend 8 seconds pressing the X button just to get to it every time.
I think there's plenty of solutions to this. For one, you can make it so that X and Y are used to navigate different colors. while L and R are used to navigate alternate skins with separate models. So even if a character has something ridiculous like 8 separate skins, and each of them has 8 alternate colors of their own. Instead of scrolling between 64 options, you just pick the skin with L & R , and then select colors after that. It'd be a lot more options than usual, but it really wouldn't be more annoying than Little Mac is on Sm4sh.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I still really want that metallic skin from Sonic Heroes as a costume from Sonic (not Metal Sonic, it was just a metallic skin with Metal Sonic-ish eyes you could enable in multiplayer mode)

On the Sonic subject, Sonic Adventure 2 and Rivals had many costumes that could be cool as well

(woops the images aren't loading? I'll try to fix it later but the second spoilers has a racing suit from SA2, a Christmas costume Silver used in Rivals 2, and a Eggman costume Knuckles used in Rivals 2)

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think that skins would be a fantastic and highly lucrative decision for Ninty to make. They could do it similarly to Overwatch where skins and even taunts were available to purchase or to get through lootboxes. I'd like each character to have at least 1 unlockable skin in-game already though, and could be unlocked by playing the character through all-star or something. I'd love to see references to Nintendo advertising throughout it too, like Peach's kimono from that Kyoto event a while back, or ZSS' civilian outfit from Other M. Villager and Link especially has tons of alt potential with the plethora of different outfits and costumes in AC and BotW.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think alternate skins is a good idea. It could be a way to satisfy one of my dearest Smash Bros. wishes. I want them to bring back old skins for Fox, Falco, Link, Zelda, And Ganondorf, specifically the designs they all had back in Melee. Ocarina of Time's Link is still my favorite design of all time for Link. And I feel the same about Fox and Falco with their Melee skins. Also, I want to get back the design Ike had in Brawl, back when he was my main. (Also i'd like Ike to be de-nerfed by giving him back his power that he had in Brawl) And if it means they have to be unlocked that's fine with me, so long as the retro skins are in the game.

And yes I think Link and Mario should have skins based on BotW and Odyssey. Link should have suits like the Snowquill Suit, Desert Voe Suit, etc. And Mario should have some of his many skins from Odyssey, like the Explorer Suit and Aviator Suit.

And along with Zinith, i'd like to see Boshi as well.

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
Well, I think alternate skins is a good idea. It could be a way to satisfy one of my dearest Smash Bros. wishes. I want them to bring back old skins for Fox, Falco, Link, Zelda, And Ganondorf, specifically the designs they all had back in Melee. Ocarina of Time's Link is still my favorite design of all time for Link. And I feel the same about Fox and Falco with their Melee skins. Also, I want to get back the design Ike had in Brawl, back when he was my main. (Also i'd like Ike to be de-nerfed give him back his power that he had in Brawl) And if it means they have to be unlocked that's fine with me, so long as the retro skins are in the game.

And yes I think Link and Mario should have skins based on BotW and Odyssey.

And along with Zinith, i'd like to see Boshi as well.
In the trailer for Smash Switch, Link has his look from Breath of The Wild. I wouldn't be surprised if he got his traditional look as an alt, however.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
The Top #10 Alternate Costumes I Want To See In Super Smash Bros For The Nintendo Switch (Either Available From The Start Or, Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. Mario- Either His Outfit From Super Mario Strikers Or His Mario Tennis Aces Tennis Outfit

#2. Luigi- Either Dr. Luigi (From Dr. Luigi) Or Mr. L (From Super Paper Mario)

#3. Donkey Kong- Either Robot Donkey Kong (From The Donkey Kong Country Animated TV Series) Or Archeologist Donkey Kong (From Mario Party 2)

#4. Bowser- Either Dry Bones Bowser Or Moon Wedding Bowser (From Super Mario Odyssey)

#5. Link- Either Ordon Village Link (From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess) Or His Training Tunic (From Hyrule Warriors)

#6. Ness- Either Robot Ness Or Ness In His Pajama's (Both Are From Earthbound/Mother 2)

#7. Fox McCloud- Either His Outfit From Star Fox Adventures Or His Outfit From Star Fox Assault

#8. Princess Zelda- Either Her Appearance From The Beginning Of The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword Or Her Appearance From The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild

#9. Pikachu- Either Detective Pikachu (With The Box Art Coat And Hat) Or Pikachu Libre (From Pokemon: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)

#10. Samus Aran- Either Light Suit Samus (From Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) Or Fusion Suit Samus (From Metroid Fusion)

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This is a feature I've been wanting for so long. Here are my ideas:
(Get ready, it's a long list)

Mario :4mario:
Gold Mario (Mario)
Mr. L (Luigi)
Dry Bowser (Bowser)
Daisy (Peach)

Yoshi :4yoshi:
Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)

Donkey Kong :4dk:
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)

Legend of Zelda :4link:
Classic Link (Link)
OoT Link (Link)
OoT Zelda (Zelda)
OoT Sheik (Sheik)
OoT Ganondorf (Ganondorf)

Metroid :4samus:
Justin Bailey (Zero Suit Samus)

Kirby :4kirby:
Hypernova Kirby (Kirby)
Masked Dedede (King Dedede)
Nes Meta Knight (Meta Knight)
Morpho Knight (Meta Knight)
Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight)
Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)

Star Fox :4fox:
Melee Fox (Fox)
Melee Falco (Falco

Pokemon :4pikachu:
Detective Pikachu (Pikachu)
Pikachu Libre (Pikachu
Shiny Pikachu (Pikachu)
Shiny Jigglypuff (Jigglypuff)
Shiny Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
Shiny Charizard (Charizard)
Shiny Lucario (Lucario)
Shiny Greninja (Greninja)

Kid Icarus :4pit:
NES Pit

Sonic :4sonic:
Knuckles (Sonic)
Shadow (Sonic)
Tails (Sonic)
Silver (Sonic)
Ray (Sonic)
Mighty (Sonic)

Mega Man :4megaman:
Bass (Mega Man)
Proto Man (Mega Man)

Pac-Man :4pacman:
Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)

Street Fighter :4ryu:
Ken (Ryu)

Last edited:

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
The Top #10 Alternate Costumes I Want To See In Super Smash Bros For The Nintendo Switch (Either Available From The Start Or, Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. Mario- Either His Outfit From Super Mario Strikers Or His Mario Tennis Aces Tennis Outfit

#2. Luigi- Either Dr. Luigi (From Dr. Luigi) Or Mr. L (From Super Paper Mario)

#3. Donkey Kong- Either Robot Donkey Kong (From The Donkey Kong Country Animated TV Series) Or Archeologist Donkey Kong (From Mario Party 2)

#4. Bowser- Either Dry Bones Bowser Or Moon Wedding Bowser (From Super Mario Odyssey)

#5. Link- Either Ordon Village Link (From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess) Or His Training Tunic (From Hyrule Warriors)

#6. Ness- Either Robot Ness Or Ness In His Pajama's (Both Are From Earthbound/Mother 2)

#7. Fox McCloud- Either His Outfit From Star Fox Adventures Or His Outfit From Star Fox Assault

#8. Princess Zelda- Either Her Appearance From The Beginning Of The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword Or Her Appearance From The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild

#9. Pikachu- Either Detective Pikachu (With The Box Art Coat And Hat) Or Pikachu Libre (From Pokken Tournament)

#10. Samus Aran- Either Light Suit Samus (From Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) Or Fusion Suit Samus (From Metroid Fusion)
Oh my goodness. Detective Pikachu in Smash? YES. It also makes sense seeing as it's a fairly new game. It'd be eve more amusing to here Detective Pikachu grunt instead of normal Pikachu when he gets hit. xD

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, from E3 it seems like the characters would each have eight costumes to choose from like Wii U/3DS. But maybe there could be more. I would like the sports outfits for Peach and Daisy, the Twilight Princess looks for Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. The Pokémon Trainer is Red or Leaf, huh? How about Ethan, Kris, Lyra, Brendan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa, Sun and Moon? Lucina could have her masked outfit. Metal Mario could be a costume for Mario along with Pink Gold Peach for Peach.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well, from E3 it seems like the characters would each have eight costumes to choose from like Wii U/3DS. But maybe there could be more. I would like the sports outfits for Peach and Daisy, the Twilight Princess looks for Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. The Pokémon Trainer is Red or Leaf, huh? How about Ethan, Kris, Lyra, Brendan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa, Sun and Moon? Lucina could have her masked outfit. Metal Mario could be a costume for Mario along with Pink Gold Peach for Peach.
The trailer for Ridley showed a Mecha-Ridley costume. This costume wasn't in the E3 build. So either Mecha-Ridley is an Echo Fighter, or some characters will have more than 8 alt-colors+costumes in the official release.
I really hope I don't have to unlock these additional cosmetics, unless I can choose which ones to unlock.
I know Sakurai is a fan of making unlocks random though, so unlocking these outfits could be annoying.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yes please. I almost never play a character's original palette swap. I love costumes and really would like more for some of my favorites (especially Zelda, hate her hair in her new design).

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
The trailer for Ridley showed a Mecha-Ridley costume. This costume wasn't in the E3 build. So either Mecha-Ridley is an Echo Fighter, or some characters will have more than 8 alt-colors+costumes in the official release.
I really hope I don't have to unlock these additional cosmetics, unless I can choose which ones to unlock.
I know Sakurai is a fan of making unlocks random though, so unlocking these outfits could be annoying.
I don't why you would hate having to unlock certain costumes! Unlocking them by completing a certain mode would make said game mode worth playing through just to receive an outfit (What would be the point of playing any games modes if there isn't to anything to gain from playing the other modes)!

That's unless you want everything to just be paid DLC and that's it (Either way, I do just hope that one costume added in the game is Cloud's Kingdom Hearts 1 attire, as that would be the closest thing to seeing Kingdom Hearts representation in Smash Bros if they can't add in Sora)!

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't why you would hate having to unlock certain costumes! Unlocking them by completing a certain mode would make said game mode worth playing through just to receive an outfit (What would be the point of playing any games modes if there isn't to anything to gain from playing the other modes)!

That's unless you want everything to just be paid DLC and that's it (Either way, I do just hope that one costume added in the game is Cloud's Kingdom Hearts 1 attire, as that would be the closest thing to seeing Kingdom Hearts representation in Smash Bros if they can't add in Sora)!
Nah unlocking items is fun, but in most Japanese games the stuff you unlock is random stuff that you don't want.

For example, I wanted to unlock Ganon's Custom Specials and Mii Outfits in Smash4. I put a dozen hours into the Minigames playing as Ganon, but only received other character's Custom specials, and still had plenty of Mii Outfits to unlock.
Likewise, the trophies received in trophy rush were absolutely random as well, why can you receive multiple copies of the same trophies you already have?

I prefer being able to pick what I want to unlock, like in an in-game shop. And sure, I think Sakurai would be smart to include a cheat code to unlock everything to make it easier to setup tournaments, or let players pay to have everything they want unlocked.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Wouldn't mind getting an Octoling costume; Either an enemy version or Agent 8. Unlocking it through an event match involving Splatoon. (KO all the Inklings with Game & Watch's final smash.)

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Considering we've seen Wedding Tuxedo Mario, Super Mario Maker Mario and Meta Ridley, I think the dev team is becoming more open to the idea of actual alternate costumes instead of pallet swaps.

With that said: Just put sunglasses on Fox. Tada. James McCloud. It's the easiest alternate costume possible and they've ignored it for four straight games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom