• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Minnesota Tourney series

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I know people have been waiting for the u of m tournies. The time has finally come!

U of M monthly(ish) tournies 2010 school year edition!!

Next tourney April 30th!

Events:
brawl doubles
brawl singles
melee doubles
melee singles

i think melee will be first this time.

Signups for all events start at 11:20. You have until just before your event starts to sign up. I guarentee you have until 11:55 for melee doubles, 12:55 for melee singles, 3:30 for brawl doubles, and 5:00 for brawl singles. You can show up to the venue as early as 11.

Cost:
$5 per person per event ($5 singles, $10 per team)

Payouts - 60/30/10, unless that means third place would recieve less than the entry fee. In that case 70/ 30.

Setups:
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE BRING SETUPS TO THIS! I am not charging a venue fee now but that will change if we end up with a shortage of setups! Please make the tournament better for everybody if you can by supplying a setup if thats at all possible. Power strips and extention cords are also needed since the outlets there can be a bit inconsistent.

Centennial Hall. 614 Delaware St SE, Minneapolis, 55455. The tournament will take place in a lounge which can be a little tricky to find if you've never been here before. You'll also probably need to call Ocho or somebody to open a door for you once you're in (you should be able to tailgate into the main building, but if not just call me.
ocho's cell - 651-491-8468 .

Edit - Specific getting into the venue instrctions:
Walk in the main doors. These will probably be locked so you'll have to tailgate (which is super easy - no wait times practically) or call ocho or somebody. Once you're in, take the stairway thats to the left. There are two stairways you can take to get downstairs, take the one thats left/ east / that leads to the dining hall. Once you go down the stairway, go to the left past a few vending machines. Next go to the right. Then you'll get to a locked door that does not have a card swiper thing. Thats as far as you can go and someone will have to come let you in after that. If somone does let you in just keep going onwards and don't go up any stairways and you'll get to the venue eventually.

main TO/ melee TO -> Ocho
brawl TO -> Nappy

Rules:

Melee:
-sets best of 3, except finals which are best of 5.
-4 stock, 8 minute timer
- items off
-double blind character picks may be called for match one
-strike stages after selecting characters
-after match one, the winner announces their ban, the loser announces the next stage, the winner selects their chacter, then the loser selects their character
-repeat this counterpick process until the set is done (people only get one ban though)
-you may not pick a stage that you have already won on during the set
-stalling is banned. Stalling means avoiding conflict in order to make the game unplayable or the match unfinishable. If you think you're being stalled then get the TO to your setup ASAP
- if the clock runs out then the match is decided by stock then by percent. replay the match in the event of a complete tie (down to percent, don't use sudden death results to determine who won)
-teams: life stealing allowed, team attack on
-Ocho (the TO) reserves the right to DQ people for not showing up to their matches, or who are delaying the tournament. No refunds after getting dq'd
- the TO is the arbiter of all other disputes
- bring your own controller

stages:
singles:
Neutrals:
FD, FoD, Battlefield, DL64, Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium, DK 64 (aka kongo jungle), Brinstar

doubles:
Neutrals:
FD, pokemon stadium, DL 64, yoshi's, battlefield

CP:
brinstar, kongo jungle

Brawl:
- 3 Stock

- 8 minute timer

- Items are set to "off" and "none"

- All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

- No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

- In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

- King Dedede's standing infinites and ledge infinites are banned.

- Marth's infinites of Ness and Lucas are banned.

- Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

- You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

- Stalling is banned. All infinites and chaingrabs muse be ended promtly at 300% in order to avoind stalling.

- If a match ends with a Kirbicide, Ganoncide, Bowsercide or Dededecide, the player who initiated the "Kamikaze" is determined the victor of the match.

Update: I am instating a Ledge Grab limit for this tournament. It is now 50. For those of you who are not familiar with how the Ledge Grab Rule works: If you match ends as a result of time, and a player has exceeded the Ledge Grab Limit, he or she loses that match.

Stage List
Starter:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokémon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick:

Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

-First stage is agreed upon by the two competitors through stage striking, random selection or mutual agreement and they must choose a Neutral (Starter) stage. The default method for choosing the first stage is stage strikes.

Use double blind character picks in the event of a dispute.

The Counterpicking Process:

Before the player who lost the previous match selects their stage, the opponent may designate a stage ban. That stage cannot be selected by that player for the entire set.
The player who lost the previous match will then select their stage for the next match.
The opponent may switch characters after the stage selection.
Once the opponent has selected their character, the player who lost the previous match may finally change their character if they desire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, the schediule for this tournament will be very tight. The first event will begin at noon. Because running 4 events in the same day is super tough its imperative that people show up to their matched right away and do things in a timely manner. DQ's will be given to absentees and its quite unlikely that I'll wait to begin the tournament just because so and so still hasn't shown up yet.

yoshii

Smash Ace
Also maybe tell people to bring a lunch, so you can avoid the whole people leaving for 2 hours to go eat lunch, no one knows where they are deal all together. Obv. there is really no room for a food break imo.

Edit: I like Melee being first , thats how it should always be. :)

Sin242

Smash Cadet
Cool, i dont think i can go to this one because football interferes, but that gives R nappy and moe bigger chances at money so its all good. But one of my close friends XEELT (the hacking kid with blonde short hair) is getting a car for his 16th B-day nov. 14th, So i can then get rides from him to all of these.

napZzz

Smash Hero
YESSSS, THANKS OCHO

haha...imma start entering both events for sure if you're gonna make the entry fee 5$, this should help bring out the newer players as well. Oh if its not official then I support the 5$ entry fee idea, despite being the one who takes money from all you *****es. OH!

YearOldTaco

Smash Rookie
Finally some details from the U of M crew! :p

Glad to hear you guys are gonna keep doing the monthly(ish) tourneys because there isn't much going on up here. I'm not sure if our crew will make it to first one, I'll have to ask around, but we will definitely make it to the next one. I'm hella rusty so I need to practice up big time if I even want to come close to making the same impact I did the 2 times I've been down there :p

Triple R

Smash Lord
Will definitely be going to this.

Already teaming with sin in brawl.

Who wants to team in melee?

I also support $5 entry.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Taco, hit me up sometime and I'll visit ya! I'm actually gonna be going to Rocky Horror this Friday I believe.

YearOldTaco

Smash Rookie
Taco, hit me up sometime and I'll visit ya! I'm actually gonna be going to Rocky Horror this Friday I believe.
Seriously? You're gonna be in Moorhead for the Rocky Horror show? DUDE! You've gotta come hang out with us and we will definitely smash it up! You have my phone number right?

taco let's team up!
Hells yeah man! I have to warn you though, I'm pretty ****ty at teams. :p

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Taco, can I steal ya from Disciple? We're actually from the same areaish lol.

Yeah seriously I'm gonna be there. I don't have your number though... Message it to me?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Also maybe tell people to bring a lunch, so you can avoid the whole people leaving for 2 hours to go eat lunch, no one knows where they are deal all together. Obv. there is really no room for a food break imo.
bringing food would certainly be a good idea if you enter all four events. Last year we had breif food breaks that didn't really work too well. ill wait to say for sure that all four events are gunna be back to back without a break though.

and looks like brawl will be $5.

and i dont have a melee teamate either.

Silvaer

Smash Rookie
Woo, I'm over in Bailey. But I'll definitely head over to meet up and play some SSBM singles.

If I can get my mom to send up my Cube and Smash I'll bring those over, if not I'll definitely bring some power strips and maybe a TV.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Woo, I'm over in Bailey. But I'll definitely head over to meet up and play some SSBM singles.

If I can get my mom to send up my Cube and Smash I'll bring those over, if not I'll definitely bring some power strips and maybe a TV.
oh sweet dude.

if you ever wanna play melee hit me up. it doesnt have to be at the tourney. the u needs some more melee players.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Ocho: Have you ever thought about putting up a few flyers around campus to help advertise? There has gotta be more people that play then you think.
ive thought about it and ive even started to make a flyer before but ive always quit or not done it out of laziness.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Is melee or brawl gonna be first? If melee's first I might try to come for at least singles or something.

Wake

Smash Master

Did you live in Bailey last year? Because a bunch of people use to play Melee there almost every day.

dmac

Smash Champion
melee first works out super well for me cause after this tourney i gotta drive for 7 hours lol -_-

Top Bottom