• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unexpected Main?

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
There may be a similar thread on this, but I think this is a really fun and interesting topic.

I loved Ness in Melee, and expected to main Ness or Lucas, or Diddy Kong.

However, after playing Dedede I can't stop, he's just so funny to use. I also really like how they buffed Donkey Kong, the headbutt really levels the playing field and makes him risky but rewarding.

What are your unexpected mains, and who did you think you would main, that you won't anymore?

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
My unexpected mains is Fox,i didn't really choose Fox in Melee that much,but in Brawl he is way better,Sonic was not going to be my main,since i dislike speedy types,but Sonic turned out to be unexpected.And Dedede is also in the question!

Oi Kyon

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really expect to main PT since the idea looked pretty stupid at first, but then after getting Brawl, he actually became one of my favorites.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I knew I was going to play Link(Been my main in all 3 Smash games)..alot but I also wanted to try..ZSS...at first I was like eh...but then..I couldn't stop..now ZSS has stolen Links spotlight..

Now it's..
Zero Suit Samus
Link
Pit

I'm quite happy with her. :D

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
All three of my mains were unexpected (see sig). I am also really starting to like Toon Link as well, which was VERY unexpected.

I was expecting to stick with C. Falcon (forget that now) or maybe Marth or maybe even Pit or Meta Knight (after playing they are now my two most hated chars)

L 17

Smash Apprentice
At first I was criticizing Snake because I thought he just didn't belong at all. It turns out he's easily my favorite character to play as.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
For me it's ROB... I expected to main Fox or Metaknight, but after playing with ROB in SSE I am now playing him a split with Kirby for the most

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
oh god, I'm still a marth/fox main, but ROB is taking my secondary characters spotlight.

well what am I supposed to do when ROB can beat a lvl 9 when marth and fox have a hard time with some?

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Warnning Bio Ahead

Diddy.

Sonic - Been a fan since I was 4 so he was a no duh.
Ike - Actually like messing around with his power and suprising quickness.
DeeDeeDee - couldn't get into him. Don't know why
Meta - Thought I would like but he was just meh.
Lucario - Was to be my series main after finding out how much sonic is gimped without items, but friend decided to main him after owning me with him.
Rob - Loved in SSE but just couldn't get into him for brawals.
Olimar - Feel like a poor mans hit and runner after playing sonic.
Samus - Just felt meh.
Toon Link/Link - same.
Marth - no wavedash killed him for me and I wasn't digging his new B move. Plus his recovery just feels even more useless now when everyone and their mother can fly in this game.
And thus I came to diddy as his bannas rock, he has a nice trick to extend his jump, good ko power which is great after playing sonic, and just all around funney.

Device

Smash Cadet
Still sticking with Pikachu, but Peach was my secondary back on melee. Now tho, I've takin a liking to Pokemon Trainer... and now even Sonic... So Peach might be in trouble XD

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
I liked Pit a lot more than I expected to. He's an awesome character.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Lucas really surprised me at how incredible he was. They took out everything wrong with Ness and gave him some actual PSI-related A-attacks, which made him a thousand times better (and Ness a thousand times worse).

Lucario as well - I've just managed to learn how to use his counter move, which has made him so much better in my eyes.

Sonic is still my main main though.

T-Toon

Smash Rookie
I really dislike heavy characters. And I never was a heavy character in both Melee and Smash Bros on N64, Until I played King DeDeDe. When he was confirmed, I hated him, he seemed so slow and everything, but he is awesome!! Waddle Dee spamming rocks :D

kr3wman

Smash Master
I love playing as Ganondorf/C. Falcon in Melee...

Now I just play Ike/Marth.

It must be because I started playing FE games.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't have a set main yet but my possible mains were expected for me. I thought Pit would be good and I was right but Fox and Pikachu were different.

I didn't like Fox so much in Melee, I was too much for Falco, but the new Falco disappointed me and I went to Fox. Happy I did.

I mained Pikachu in SSB64 but I was sorely disappointed with him in Melee. Now that Brawl is here I was very happy with his changes and I love him again.

PrinceLegend

Smash Rookie
i didnt expect to main Zelda i was kina against the idea of her Fspecial i loved zelda in melee makign people drop there jaws because u pwned them XD. but i ended up stickin with zelda. i thought i was gonna main marth but disliked him

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
I thought Marth would be my main, along with a side of Ike.

Ike is still one of my mains, but I just don't like Marth as much anymore. But I'm starting to really like Toon Link and I hated Young Link in Melee... I was surprised.

Sheers Man

Smash Rookie
Link was my main in SSB and SSBM, although he has been replaced with Toon Link, since he is...well...better.

R.O.B. is another, I didn't know what to think when I first heard he was in it, but after I unlocked him I found that he is quite awesome, and I'm trying to get better with him, that was surely unexpected for me.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Unexpected main: Diddy <3
Although he's kinda tied with Ike and Snake, too, whom I hoped I'd like.

Delere

Smash Rookie
I loved MK ever since I first played him...But the first time I played Oli I hated him. Was playing random char vs with my friend and got Oli a few times, and started to like him. Now he's easily even with MK, probly gonna pass him as my favorite.

Still hate his recovery though :(

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
Ness- I never really used him in Melee(Mained Link) but played as him and was amazing at how I synced with his controls

Sonic and Snake- I never thought I would like a 3rd party character until I played as them. They are really good, too!

ChromeSonic00

Smash Apprentice
Well, my main is Meta Knight, who is my favorite Nintendo character, but I was surprised I didn't main Mario, who was my main in Melee. (Probably because you float in the air for a short period of time after using his Nair, which was my big combo starter.)

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
Well first of all, I have several characters that I use about evenly, so if you want I'll call those my mains.

I already knew I was going to keep using Pikachu, and I knew Ike and Pokemon Trainer were going to be fun as well.

I didn't see myself liking Snake though. I figured he would be too awkward and he wouldn't fit in well with the rest of the fighters. Now I love using him. He has great tilts and aerials, and projectile spamming is always fun.

But my most unexpected main was Zelda. I played around with her a bit in Melee but it seemed like too many of her moves were just ineffective. In Brawl they buffed all her formerly useless moves, without nerfing any of her good moves, and gave her a great final smash. Better still, they made her a brunette! (big plus for me) So I find myself using Zelda a lot when I originally didn't plan to use her at all.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
I did NOT expect to like Sonic. I thought he and Metaknight would be the cliche n00b characters (that turned out to be Pit), but I wanted to give each character a fair shot. Immediately after I unlocked him, I tried him out in a match. A few seconds into it, I said ".....ohh, yeah." I whip out Olimar once in a while, but Sonic's the man.

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
definitely.i was assuming i'd keep my melee mains and maybe one new one-was looking at pokemon trainer.

after playing extensively,im no longer comfortable with fox or falcon like i used to be.
my mains in order are:
4)pokemon trainer-havent gotten ivysaur down good enough
3)sonic-**** his lack of kill moves and toon link-he's uber good,need to get timing down tho.
2)pikachu-buffed and fast.i like!great success!

and my main is.....
1)r.o.b

never did i think id be robotic operating buddy.but he's just so darn good.and his playstyle fits me well.

[PU] Poison

Smash Rookie
However, after playing Dedede I can't stop, he's just so funny to use. I also really like how they buffed Donkey Kong, the headbutt really levels the playing field and makes him risky but rewarding.
Agree, I first thought I'd be using my Melee main, Samus, or Link. But then I picked up D3 and it was amazing. I can't stop using him. Wario is also very funny to use.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Lucario my first reaction holy crap im kicking a$$! Secondary Peach, heard so much horrible crap about her I was a lil put off and thought pt all the way now she is tied up with the 3. R.OB> is also goodness O.O

Top Bottom