• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uneducated Assumptions You Had About Characters Only Known Through Smash

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I can't be the only one that's made them right? For example:
  • For the longest time, I assumed Ness was a braniac Japanese kid, and that all of his special attacks were coming from his (unseen) gadgets.
  • Kirby in 64 gave me the impression that Kirby was an angry and ruthless little ball of horror. I swear that Kirby just looked and acted much less innocent there.
  • Until I actually played Pikmin, I got a lot of cult vibes coming from Olimar. He never speaks and seemingly bows down before the Pikmin during victory. I thought he was some space man who was driven mad in the wilderness and now mindlessly serves the Pikmin.
Then there are characters I still don't really know anything about outside of cultural osmosis - but I'm pretty sure my assumptions are off base. Example:
  • Since Roy & Marth were introduced together, I pictured them as polar opposites: Marth is a cool, levelheaded, and somewhat sheltered prince, on the other hand, Roy is impulsive, angry, and rather childish. (A quick wiki search seems to show that I am completely wrong.)
Anyone else do this? Incorrectly piece together a character based on limited exposure through Smash?

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
  • Marth was a girl.
  • Ike was Sonic.
  • Sonic was Ike.
  • Luigi was Green Mario.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Due to him being an utter nuisance in Smash64, I assumed Fox was an annoying prick. I still consider myself correct to this day.
I assumed Roy was related to Eliwood. I was right.
I expected Ness to be able to use PK Fire. Too bad they didn't give him PK Rockin' in Smash.
I thought it was silly that Lucas fought with a stick. After beating Mother 3, I still think it's silly.
I've played some of everyone's games by now (aside from ROB and Snake), so I won't be making similar mistakes in the future.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I thought the Mother series was about kids taking drugs to get their powers.
Stupid assumption, I know.

Last edited:

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I thought the Mother series was about kids taking drugs to get their powers.
Stupid assumption, I know.
Whew, glad to see that my: "Olimar is an insane cultist serving the Pikmin" level misunderstanding isn't alone :D

I've played some of everyone's games by now (aside from ROB and Snake), so I won't be making similar mistakes in the future.
I'm actually working towards that in preparation for Smash right now. Punch-out!! Wii, Mother 3, and something from Kirby are still on my list.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As someone who got Melee 12 years ago, meaning I was only 7 years old, I thought that:

Ness was a Pokémon Trainer
Samus was a guy
Game & Watch was the first video game ever made
Young Link was Link's little brother

Only Brawl assumption I ever made was that I initally thought Pit was a girl, that was at least until I joined Brawl speculation.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I think someone told me Captain Falcon was a pirate.

Also, Samus was a guy; she, Ness, and Cap were the only characters in Smash 64 I didn't know. I might not have known Kirby either, but I'm not sure. I played Kirby 64 when I was little too but that apparently came out after it.

I thought Marth and Roy were related.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I thought Marth's name was actually Martha and they messed up.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Before I played Melee, I thought Metroid was Samus's name, I hadn't really known anything about the Metroid franchise until then.
I pretty much learned about Metroid through Smash Bros (and Earthbound, Fire emblem and any other franchise new to me)

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I'm pretty sure EVERYONE in here almost thought that Sheik and Samus were men if you haven't played/beat a Metroid or Zelda game until you got to the event match where you fought all of the women in the game or read up on Sheik's trophy.
I thought Zelda was "Zolda."
I thought Mr. Game & Watch was "Mega Man."
OMG I HAAATE WHEN PEOPLE CALL HER THAT!!! XDDDD IT RIPS ME TO SHREDS!!!

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I'm pretty sure EVERYONE in here almost thought that Sheik and Samus were men if you haven't played/beat a Metroid or Zelda game until you got to the event match where you fought all of the women in the game or read up on Sheik's trophy.

OMG I HAAATE WHEN PEOPLE CALL HER THAT!!! XDDDD IT RIPS ME TO SHREDS!!!
While I agree about Samus being a common misconception, I have never ever understood why anyone could think Sheik was male.
Never really assumed much of the characters whose games I didn't play as I didn't really care about them. I thought Captain Falcon was from something like Mortal Kombat originally(Figured out quick that was wrong).

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I thought Zelda was "Zolda."
I thought Mr. Game & Watch was "Mega Man."
OMG I HAAATE WHEN PEOPLE CALL HER THAT!!! XDDDD IT RIPS ME TO SHRE
While I agree about Samus being a common misconception, I have never ever understood why anyone could think Sheik was male.
Never really assumed much of the characters whose games I didn't play as I didn't really care about them. I thought Captain Falcon was from something like Mortal Kombat originally(Figured out quick that was wrong).
Like, I never knew it was Zelda. Lol I was 10 when I got melee.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Edit: Changed for wrong context.

- I used to think Mr Game and Watch was glitched for my game because I didn't know he was supposed to look like that. I thought something went horribly wrong with the challenger approaching screen.

- I didn't think Samus had a gender, I just thought she was a robot. Thole whole time, I called her 'it'.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Simple and common, but I was among those that thought Samus was a guy initially.

Other than that....nothing. I was hardly familiar with Nintendo as a whole when I got Melee, I was only familiar with The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario, to a lesser extant, and I was pretty little, there were not many assumptions that I could make. I just recognized some characters, and all others I read about in trophies from their franchises out of curiosity.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
No, apparently even as a child I knew a lot about Nintendo games. I also seemed to assume very little. What a cold, logical child I must have been.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
Raise your hand if you DIDN'T think Samus was a guy

I remember being like 9 years old reading the character descriptions and saw "she" in her little blurb and hardcore "WHAT"'d

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I thought Samus was a robot and that Roy and Marth were from the same game (didn't help matters that their trophies both had the same "game" name [Fire Emblem (Japan Only) IIRC]).

I also thought Ness was Ash Ketchum. Was 6 or 7 at the time of the game's release, so I didn't know at the time.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I used to think Pikachu's back throw was some super secret attack. Likewise, I didn't know how to differentiate Thunder and Skull Bash. So I thought they were one and the same.
I once thought Mew (not Mewtwo, Mew) was in the game. Along with Sonic and Tails.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I used to think roy's star ko scream was him yelling "MAAAAAAARTH"
so I figured they were butt buddies since they were clones and whatnot.

Other than that, it was the infamous "Link isn't named Zelda"

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I thought Ness was a super eerie alien kid from one of the scariest and weirdest games ever, though at the time I knew nothing about Earthbound. In one sense, i was right. Great game though.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I can guaruntee that NOBODY actually legitimately thought Marth was a girl. It's only a running joke because he looked a little bit soft and feminine in Brawl, and MAYBE Melee. It's not funny anymore.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I can guaruntee that NOBODY actually legitimately thought Marth was a girl. It's only a running joke because he looked a little bit soft and feminine in Brawl, and MAYBE Melee. It's not funny anymore.
B-But I DID think he was a girl... I was only a kid...

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh, come to think of it I was also among those who thought Link was called "Zelda" for a time. I had the Collector's Edition and figured the Links from the various different games were a bunch of different ones, so I just called them "Zelda Kids" lol. Melee was what cleared all that up for me.

I also thought the Ice Climbers would have more than just an old NES game (I didn't even know such a console had existed at the time, tbh. I was still pretty new to the gaming world at the time) other than that I tried imagining what a bunch of other character's games would generally be like, a lot of them didn't end up like what I imagined.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I thought Pit was Sora from Kingdom Hearts for a brief moment, when I first saw him.

I thought Ness was a goofy Japanese stereotype (still kinda headcanon that). I also thought he was supposed to be the kid who owned all of the toys of the Nintendo characters, and thought the Earth symbol was supposed to symbolise that.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I remember having crazy ideas of what Majora's Mask was about after a few tidbits of information in Melee. I'd really have to dig deep to remember though (Since I've now played it and everything).
I thought Ness was a super eerie alien kid from one of the scariest and weirdest games ever, though at the time I knew nothing about Earthbound. In one sense, i was right. Great game though.
I assumed that all references to aliens in Earthbound trophies and whatnot were referring to Mr. Saturn. I recall thinking that Earthbound was about Ness' town being invaded by thousands of Mr. Saturns.

I also thought that Fox's up special in 64 was a jet-pack. Granted, I still don't know what it is that he's doing.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I always called R.O.B. "The Mario Kart Guy" since he appeared in MKDS.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
I actually thought Ness was Noddy, and that was the main reason why I wanted Melee in the first place..
I also thought Ganondorf was Captain Falcon's evil brother and that Roy's game was called 'Future Release'.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Not personally one of my own, but most people who haven't played Legend of Zelda assume that "Link" is actually named "Zelda".

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I thought Samus was a boy until my friend and I were shocking people with Pikachu in 64 and pausing to look at their skeletons. When you shock Samus you see a metallic model of her body :O

Top Bottom