• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uneducated Assumptions You Had About Characters Only Known Through Smash

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Along with thinking Samus was a guy and Marth was a girl, I used to think Kirby was a girl too.
I also thought Marth and Roy were best friends.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought Popo and Nana (the flower people) were joined together by the hips and had hammers for hands.
Dude, I thought they were flowers too. I played melee at some kids house ( 2 years before I got the game myself ) and was so perplexed by those "flower people". I only saw thier character select box at the time so for the next couple of years I just imagined a moveset for them, I thought that they would have a body similar to bellsprout's and shoot seeds at people.

Also, I didn't unlock Ness in smash 64 until after I had already got Melee. Judging by his silhouette in the opening I had always just assumed that it was Toad.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I was a weird kid, so after the first couple matches I looked at the character bios in 64.

...Dunno, I really can't think of anything. I even assumed Marth and Roy came from different games in Melee because I had a pretty good understanding of games at that point.

Oh, I thought the hearts in Zelda were the same thing as the Heart Containers in 64, not that I even knew the name. I remember being kinda surprised seeing a Heart Container in Zelda the first time.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
In the Melee days, I thought mostly everything was related to Mario.

I thought Ness was Kid Mario, the Ice Climbers were toads without Mushroom caps, Game & Watch was Marios old form, and Kirby was a helper from a Mario game. AND that Dr. Mario was Mario ' s uncle with the same name

Other thoughts included:

Samus is a man (brawl trailer cleared things up later)
Link and Zelda were siblings and Ganondorf was their evil dad
Young Link was Links brother
Falco Never Existed In A game.
Marth and Roy Were brothers

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
So I'm like 800,000 posts too late to say I thought Samus was a megaman armored guy named Metroid right?

I also thought kirby and captain falcon were characters made JUST for smash bros.

And that Marth and Roy were from same game, not series.

And that game and watch was just a... thing. Until I pressed pause on his stage "THEY HAD SOMETHING OLDER THAN THE GAMEBOY??"

For the longest time, I assumed Ness was a braniac Japanese kid, and that all of his special attacks were coming from his (unseen) gadgets.
I also assumed the brainiac thing since his unlock screen called him "the child genius" or something like that.

I thought Marth and Roy were from the same game. I also thought their game would be like some kind of real-time medieval war game, going solely off the trophy descriptions of the two characters.

I wasn't familiar with Game & Watch specifically but I recognized Mr. G&W as being like the numbers on a liquid crystal display calculator, so I figured he was just a reference to those cheapo handheld games you could find at Wal-Mart back in the day.

I vaguely remembered Ganondorf from OoT, but his placement on a different row than the other Zelda characters made me question if he was the guy I thought he was.

Edit - Oh yeah, I also thought Mr. Game & Watch had a whole family somewhere. Mrs. Game & Watch, Game & Watch Jr., etc. I started to think of him as a short, big-nosed, hard-working little family man and found it endearing.

Last edited:

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
Some of these may turn out to be rude but:

64:
-Samus was a robot
-Captain Falcon was a comic book hero
-Link was a white boy

Melee:
-Marth was a manly woman asian
-Still thought Samus was a robot
-Still thought Captian Falcon was a comic book hero
-Still thought Link was a white boy
-Young Link was when Link got shrunk in size
-Mr. Game and Watch was a black man

Brawl:
-Still thought Marth was a manly woman asian
-R.O.B. was Nintendo's weapon of mass destruction
-Wolf was a pirate animal thing

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I thought Marth's name was actually Martha and they messed up.
I thought Marth was a girl just because he had a tiara.
Both of these. Upon discovering Marth was male, I then proceeded to presume he and Roy were brothers with Marth being the clean, polite, bishie and Roy a rough housing shonen protagonist as a counterpart. Whoops.

I also thought Samus was a robot(I knew nothing of Metroid), Captain Falcon was a superhero(which is kind of true I guess) and that Ness was supposed to be a kid that represented the average Nintendo fan. As a UK resident had I not learnt about Ness through Smash I may not have found out this wasn't the case until last year when we finally got Earthbound on the VC.

14 years after his Smash debut. Yeesh.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
For a while I believed what a friend had told me during smash 64. According to him, C. Falcon is Samus' dad.

Years later (brawl prelease) I had a dream about Falcon singing "Into the Night" as a way to express his love for Samus.

Freud would love me.

D

Deleted member

Snake was owned by SEGA.

I also thought R.O.B. was a Mario character, and his placement on the character select was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Sheesh, I can't believe I was only eight or nine when Melee came out; I feel both ridiculously young and old at the same time.
it IS a bit jarring to think about how this game was the one we dreamed about as kids and now it's considered the go-to classic smash game. i remember watching people at EBgames before gamestop took em over playing melee and being so shocked and excited that zelda was in it. was kinda annoyed by her star-KO screaming though. XD

i was 11, so take that.

as for me, i can't really think of anything in particular that i mistakenly thought. even though i was only 9 when smash 64 came out, i knew most of the characters. didn't know falcon or ness, but we read their character descriptions and it was obvious from ness's moves what sort of character he was. had played kirby's dreamland, pokemon r/b/y, starfox 64 (and snes), plenty of zelda, and donkey kong country... the only character left out was samus, but i was VERY early on alerted to the fact that she was female, so i didn't really think she was a robot for that long.

though marth was a girl because my mom's name is martha, but that too was dispelled quickly (the only reason i believed false things about melee during it's first year was because my friend had the gamecube and he was always falling for these sorts of rumors and then telling them to me as if he had experienced them himself).

by the time brawl was out i was already 18 and had been a member of various nintendo forums for several years, so there wasn't a lot for me to mistakenly fall for.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I should also add that in Melee, I had no idea about 'retro' characters. Game & Watch was still getting some games at the time, and I thought the Ice Climbers were part of an ongoing series and had a game on the NES, SNES, and 64.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I was 9 when smash 64 came out. I knew Samus was a girl but I thought captain falcon was her husband. I thought Ness was kirby's brother and they were Samus and Cap falcon's kids lol

For melee I was 11. I thought marth was a girl and Roy was from the same game. I had no idea who they, the ice climbers or Mr game and watch were.

By the time brawl was released I was almost 18. I knew who all the characters were or I looked then up on Wikipedia.... same for the next game.

Top Bottom