• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unedited Gameplay Footage for Smash Wii U

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Thoughts?

Aesthetically looks absolutely beautiful but between this, the trailer, and the dev video I'm pretty worried that we're going to end up with another Brawl gameplay wise.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Overall the gameplay seems faster, with quicker fall speeds.

Hit stun wise, can't quite tell.

Feeling hopeful. At the very least looks more promising then Brawl

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
FLUDD confirmed and Megaman's Flame Blast is his down smash. Does this mean that Flame Blast isn't his final smash?
I didn't see any landing animations when they hit the ground after an aerial attack (except for Up B), they were able to sprint right after landing, I like this. Also the characters erupt into fireballs when they are sent flying by a smash attack even if it isn't a KO, awesome.

BSP

Smash Legend
I made a thread on stale moves, but that seems to have changed. Overall, it is looking pretty similar to Brawl.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I made a thread on stale moves, but that seems to have changed. Overall, it is looking pretty similar to Brawl.
are you surprised? they did start with brawls game engine to begin with didn't it?

compared to brawl though, it looks more "fast paced", and characters do seem to not "float" as much as they used to.

lets not get ahead of ourselves though. ITS STILL IN DEVOLOPEMENT

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It looks similar to Brawl, but better, and that's a start.

Plus, no tripping.

I think it looks equally as fast as Brawl to be honest.

It also looks like moves have stupid amounts of knockback.

Revven

FrankerZ
Mario's FLUDD looks like a similar situation to when we saw Kirby's Melee Side B in the Brawl reveal trailer. In other words, nothing is sacred for character movesets except what we see as new (moves such as Bowser's drop kick).

Anyway, yeah, apparently in one of the vids you can definitely see someone air dodging to cancel hitstun anim. I'm not sure which vid, but when I was talking to Magus he said he saw it. So it's definitely still there... which isn't good.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
So is the universal consensus that there's no credence to a Smash title if it isn't Melee 1.5?

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Mega Man's Smash did ~45% damage.
The first time I saw it, I though it was a bit too much. However, when I looked again, I noticed that at first, Mario got hit by the left column of the attack (closer to the edge of the stage) and seemed to DI toward the center of the stage (into the other column). If there was proper DI, he would have only been hit by one column and taken far less damage. You can see it really clearly in this link since the angle is a bit nicer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-hPRocg8Yw&t=18

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Anyway, yeah, apparently in one of the vids you can definitely see someone air dodging to cancel hitstun anim. I'm not sure which vid, but when I was talking to Magus he said he saw it. So it's definitely still there... which isn't good.
Do you think you could ask Magus which video he saw it in where it would be plainly obvious for the hit stun cancel? I just perused all the videos, there are 4 instances where someones reacts with an air dodge after being knocked away, but all of them were from low knock back moves, or done at low percents. Either way, you would be able to air dodge rather earlier to remove tumble but not use the hit stun cancelling. Brawl did accidentally implement the hit stun cancel in air dodging, but they intentionally made it so you could get out of tumble with it as well, so we could just be seeing that.

As for gameplay, it looks closer to Brawl, but it looks like it's heading in the right direction. The off stage seems much larger, and with moves having a bit higher knockback, not every recovery looks like it can make it back, not just link and ganon. Death's are also more in the realm of the 90-110% area, so that should speed up matches as well. Landing has a smoother transition for sure, and there's still no sign of random tripping. So far, it's looking good, but we need a lot more testimony and footage of a non-developer build to confirm anything else.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
also i noticed that both mario's fair and megamans fair when they collided canceled them both out as no one recieved any damae or knockback. The game looks overall smoother than brawl where moves looked so static where here they seem to flow better. But seeing as sakurai said he was using brawl's engine as the base for this game im not surprised that it looks similar. Though i do think both hitstun and the way characters falls are somewhere inbetween melee and brawl.

Overall i like what im seeing even if there is no wavedashing or l cancels

Tarzan le Gitan

Smash Rookie
On the subject of Megaman's Downsmash, I don't think it will deal 50% in the final game. This footage was meant to show what Megaman was capable of, and we all know Sakurai is'nt the best Smash Player, so I think they just made Megaman overpowered to show him of.

gnosis

Smash Lord
So is the universal consensus that there's no credence to a Smash title if it isn't Melee 1.5?

A smash title could be very different from Melee and still be good, but many felt that Brawl made certain mistakes that they hope aren't repeated.

Aka it doesn't have to be Melee 1.5 but a lot of us are hoping it's not Brawl 1.5.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Megaman's f-air looks ridiculously good.

There is still a lot of landing lag on aerials. Look at 6:06 in the full video to see landing lag on Mario's f-air.

My first impression is that this looks like an improvement over Brawl. Would have to see more footage/try it myself to know for sure though.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
On the subject of Megaman's Downsmash, I don't think it will deal 50% in the final game. This footage was meant to show what Megaman was capable of, and we all know Sakurai is'nt the best Smash Player, so I think they just made Megaman overpowered to show him of.
They wouldn't do this.

I imagine it's sort of like Peach's down-smash in melee. It CAN do a ton of damage, but it usually won't and the person being hit is the one who controls that

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
People who want melee with updated graphics are going to be disappointed.

If we get "Brawl, but better" I'll be happy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, we still have another year and half of development for the game. The final product could be different. But it does look like a slightly faster, better balanced Brawl. (right now)

peeup

Smash Lord
Does anybody happen to have a link to Brawl's reveal at E3 oh so many years ago? Cause some people are saying that the Brawl demo used a modified Melee engine, much as this Smash 4 demo seems to be using a modified Brawl engine. I'd like to go back and actually watch it.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Do you think you could ask Magus which video he saw it in where it would be plainly obvious for the hit stun cancel? I just perused all the videos, there are 4 instances where someones reacts with an air dodge after being knocked away, but all of them were from low knock back moves, or done at low percents. Either way, you would be able to air dodge rather earlier to remove tumble but not use the hit stun cancelling. Brawl did accidentally implement the hit stun cancel in air dodging, but they intentionally made it so you could get out of tumble with it as well, so we could just be seeing that.

As for gameplay, it looks closer to Brawl, but it looks like it's heading in the right direction. The off stage seems much larger, and with moves having a bit higher knockback, not every recovery looks like it can make it back, not just link and ganon. Death's are also more in the realm of the 90-110% area, so that should speed up matches as well. Landing has a smoother transition for sure, and there's still no sign of random tripping. So far, it's looking good, but we need a lot more testimony and footage of a non-developer build to confirm anything else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qJmzalIXRKw#!

0:11, Hitstun Canceled by an airdodge

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'm not 100% sold on that being hitstun. Could just be getting out tumble. Who knows until we actually have it in our hands.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
That's also at an awfully low percentage. I think in Brawl you can air dodge even sooner than that.

Still too soon to say it is one way or another.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
In the discussion of the specific part of the gameplay after the downsmash hits similar to Peach's after Megaman is hit off he double jumps into a whiffed Fair. He then right before the ground tries to begin an fair. The fair begins, but then Mega hits the ground. He goes instantly into his Shoryu (utilt?).

This is the clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-hPRocg8Yw&t=18

At the beginning of Mega's Fair he flashes once, but then when Mega lands he flashes a 2nd time then begins his utilt. Just like how L cancels animate.

Does anyone else see this?!?!?!

How did I not notice it until now???

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Hmm, interesting call, but that doesn't look like an L-cancel. He lands, and you can see him go through the lag frames just as he should:

This is - however - a good example of how the landing lag was quite heavily reduced in this game from Brawl.

Hell, maybe this game implemented a system where lag is reduced if you land from an attack before the hitbox comes out? could be interesting

Also, please don't shorten megaman's name as "mega" it just sounds so wrong.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
I know it didn't look like a good, or accurate L cancel. Although if you implement a rather slow L cancel like some newer players might do it sometimes comes out like this. Especially when someone is unfamiliar with the mechanic, or if you are using an awkward controller, i.e. Sakurai using a wiiU game pad. I would guess L canceling on that controller might be a little awkward due to its bulkiness.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
is it me or does sakurai spam roll dodge a lot. ha!

actually watching the roll dodging I feel as if the range / spacing of roll dodge has increased, like you could roll backwards from one end of BF to the other in 3 rolls instead of ... 5 or whatever.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
As a side note, I have to say I'm really digging the font and design for the % numbers they chose this time around. Very sleek. :shades:

Top Bottom