• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

underused stuff

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I haven't been JC grabbing, so that would explain why I was having trouble.

While watching that video, I noticed the Magus didn't spend much time hitting his opponent inbetween throws. Is there a reason for that, or is it fine? Because I've noticed you can hit a Falco 4 times above 80%, then hit him 5-6 times after regrabbing him for to get him up to KO percent.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Listen and if they're not mashing buttons like crazy pummel them like 3-4 times lol

/gay tactic, but every % makes it easier to regrab.

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I thought people couldn't break out of grabs manually. Was I wrong about that?

Against Falco, it looks you can pummel him once above 20%, twice above 40, three times above 60, 4 times above 80, 5 times above 100, and 6 times above 120 without risk of him breaking free.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sounds like you learned that from playing CPU's. Level 9's give you a good idea as to the earliest someone could break out of your grab, but humans are rarely that fast. It does take them a lot longer to break out at higher percents, but it really depends on how hard they are trying to break out.

If you grab someone and they know the correct direction to di your throw, pause for a second. As soon as they say "omg I have a chance to break out" and start mashing buttons/control stick, throw them. Now their di is off and they won't escape the combo. Situational but good.

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That sounds good like a good strategy to keep in mind. I'd been thinking that by pummeling they wouldn't be able to predict when I'd throw them, so it would make DIing harder. I'd never tried to break out of a grab, so assumed people couldn't. I got that Falco data from playing against my friends, but I doubt any of them knew it was possible to break out of grabs.

Next year will be much better for Melee practice, since I'll be at NC State, so it'll be easier for me to play against all the people there.

Top Bottom