• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding Shine-Cancel?

D

Deleted member

So, I have been doing a lot of testing with shine lately and I've been trying to understand exactly how it works when cancelling it.

Here's what I have come to understand about how shine jump cancelling works in various ways

If you cancel shine within the first few frames you can let go of both down on the control stick/B and then press either X or Y to jump

BUT if you hold the shine past a certain amount of frames in order to cancel the shine you must be holding B in order to jump out of it (no matter how fast I seem to let go of B and press X it doesn't jump so you need to use up on the control stick to jump out)

I'm pretty sure those are correct, right?

Here's what I've come to understand about jump cancelling shine to an aerial when my shine connects

If I don't do a turn around shine I can instantly shine->jump->aerial

My problem is when I go for a shine turn-around (when the shine connects) aerial such as shine->turn-around->dair

I seem to have no problem doing this as fast as I can when my shine isn't hitting an opponent, but when the shine connects I seem to always get stuck in the shine. It seems like I have to wait for a split second for the turn-around to occur or something. Is turning around in your shine slower on hit? I only ever get stuck when I am going for a turn-around and even when I go for a turn around sometimes I get stuck, but I'm still facing the original direction. Its hard for me to know exactly my problem I guess lol, I'm just trying to understand it. Thanks.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
wait more. you are getting stuck in hitlag which means both you and your opponent are frozen for a few frames. then you can turn around dair or bair.

D

Deleted member

It's just weird because if I don't do a shine turn-around and just do shine->jump->aerial, it feels like I can press the buttons as fast as I want, but as soon as I want to do a shine turn-around aerial I have to slow down and have specific timing.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
It's just weird because if I don't do a shine turn-around and just do shine->jump->aerial, it feels like I can press the buttons as fast as I want, but as soon as I want to do a shine turn-around aerial I have to slow down and have specific timing.
You can't jump out of shine during the turnaround animation, and the hitlag from the shine connecting delays that animation a few frames. You don't have to delay the turnaround (holding the direction you want to turn will basically buffer the turnaround), but you DO have to delay the jump.

If you cancel shine within the first few frames you can let go of both down on the control stick/B and then press either X or Y to jump

BUT if you hold the shine past a certain amount of frames in order to cancel the shine you must be holding B in order to jump out of it (no matter how fast I seem to let go of B and press X it doesn't jump so you need to use up on the control stick to jump out)

I'm pretty sure those are correct, right?
You can let go of the B button after holding it and then jump using X/Y, but it's a tight window and pretty unnecessary. If you want to use X/Y to jump out of a held shine, I recommend clawing the jump input while holding B.

Top Bottom