• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding Magic Sequence and Cancels

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
I don't play Lucario but I was curious about frame data information.

I understand that landing a hit with a lesser move can be cancelled into the next move or special. On what frames can you cancel moves? If I hit with jab and cancel into Aura Sphere do I suffer hitlag before I can cancel? For Double Team, when I cancel, how long do I maintain the momentum for? If I cancel Double Team do I maintain invincibility beyond the cancel?

Any info is appreciated.

Akkien

Smash Cadet
Attacks can be canceled on the next available frame after your hitboxes connect without suffering hitlag. Double team can be canceled between frames 13-24. If I'm not mistaken, the momentum you gain is dependent on the frame you cancel on (but it doesn't differ that much), and if you're in the air or onstage. You don't mantain invincibility beyond the cancel as of 3.6b.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Is there a flow chart or diagram or list of moves and what they can be cancelled into? This is what I have..

Jab -> Any Tilt -> Smash Attack
Dash Attack -> Any Tilt -> Smash Attack
Up-Smash -> Jump
Double Team (use aura) -> all moves, excluding specials (?)

All moves -> Specials

Last edited:

Akkien

Smash Cadet
That is correct.

-Jab/Dash Attack > Tilt > Smash > Special
-Aerial > Special.

-Up Smash can be Jump Canceled.

-Double Team (with a charge) > Any non-special move.
-ExtremeSpeed (with a charge) > Any aerial or Special other than ExtremeSpeed. (What happens here is that you cancel the momentum of ExtremeSpeed with a different animation specifically made for this. Once that animation ends, you're free to do any move but ExtremeSpeed).

-Aura Sphere can be canceled with your shield button; known as Aura Sphere Canceling. (Though this puts you in a different animation and has nothing to do with the magic series. Like how Samus can store her Charge Shot)

And you can skip levels of the series, I.e.: Dash Attack > Dsmash; or Ftilt > Side-B.
So yeah, any non-special move can cancel into a special.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
The tricky thing is that there are an insane amount of possibilities for combos, but choosing the right option for opponent's DI and your momentum is key to another hit. It sounds basic, but the amount of options after connecting a dash attack or an upsmash or ES (or really any move that can be canceled or followed up) is daunting.

Being fast and precise with the cancels takes a lot of experience. I'm excited to read some real guides written by smashers with the experience who get down to the details of reliable combo situations, defensive tactics, neutral etc. in a clear and repeatable manner.
So many Lucario guides spend so much time going into his basics, what the moves do and how the Aura system works. I feel like very few players, even the likes of IPK and Frozen, come close to Luc's potential. The ceiling seems nearly impossibly far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom