• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated? Untapped?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Played around with Mii Gunner yesterday. This guy will likely be a contender in the right hands, I think he has the tools he needs.

His flame pillar side B is great, as good as Robin's in a different way - can be shorthopped and will still hit the ground and erupt, and is super quick and has low end lag. He has great smashes, good aerials, and good specials to tackle pretty much any situation. And that nair as well as bair makes him feel like he'll be fine in aerial CQC.

He has special-treatment attacks - uniquely designed fair and fsmash that other characters are lucky to have as well. Megaman's fsmash is a unique tool for him, but readable and reactable to reflector characters. Not so much the case with Mii Gunner's fsmash due to speed, it seems.

His fair, though. Wow. Tried retreating SH fairs and it's really good. If you use it at the center of FD and retreat midair while shooting it forward, you get boosted to the edge of the stage basically. Really solid and safe spacing tool.

In the air, fair has a lot of end lag so you won't be putting up a wall while in the air, but it has low landing lag (weird how moves differ so much in aerial lag vs landing lag in this game, more than usual it feels). So you can SH it safely. Great for edgeguarding.

He's got a spike, decent recovery, a normal grab, samus' specials plus alternatives that are really solid. Great tilts too - ftilt and utilt are great tools that Samus doesn't have the likes of.

It'll be cool to see how well he does competitively. He's a bunch of fun. Counterable with reflectors maybe, but he's got a small frame, high speed, and good melee options to change his playstyle around if need be.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Wouldn't be surprised if he was as good as the Mii Brawler. Nobody has really played him so its very possible. The Mii Fighter characters in general are heavily slept on and ignored for no reason.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I myself wouldn't call the extremely high probability that they're banned from tournament use "no reason", but ok.
Ah, no need for the rudeness really. Where I currently am Mii Fighters are legal in tournaments, I was not aware of this.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Ah, no need for the rudeness really.
What?

Where I currently am Mii Fighters are legal in tournaments, I was not aware of this.
People ignore miis because their legality on the world stage is not confirmed, and they are untapped because of it, but the implication is that they're rated highly as justification, so they're not really underrated imo.

Last edited:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Most tourneys I have seen have Miis legal. Basically if customs are legal, I don't see why Miis wouldnt be. The weight difference can be easily adapted to as well. It's just that no one plays them. :(

I think Mii Gunner has some pretty good stage control and even a pretty decent off stage game (although his up b options aren't super amazing). His fair is just ridiculous. With the low landing lag it can be comboed into dtilt, dsmash, ftilt, flame pillar, dash attack, and another fair after a jump.

Also grenades and bombs are amazing at covering options. Definitely think he is underrated and I have been practicing with him. I will try to upload some videos of him later,

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Weight can either be adapted to, or forced to be standardized. The only issue is custom moves(which could be standardized, but will likely lead to no one using them as the defaults suck).

That out of the way, I think gunner is legit as well, and am always shocked to see people hating on gunner and brawler. The only one looking awful is swordsman, and that's because he just has too many terrible customs, mixed with by far the worst recovery(no wall jump)

I really think gunner's got the longest viable movelist, due to a lack of anything being overly good. My only issue with him is that I just flat out suck with campy characters, so i don't quite know how to get the most out of it.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
I thought gunner was one of the better characters in the game, odd to know others didn't think so. Anyway, an easy way to be easily standardized and therefore easily legal is to just use the default height and weight.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I won a couple local 16-entry Singles tourneys and placed 2nd in Doubles twice as well with Mii Gunner before swapping over to MK/Sonic so I have a decent background with this character. (Gunner is still my Doubles character of choice.) The character is above average, certainly, but has issues that are going to make life a little rough for Gunner.

First off tho, Mii Gunner's default moves are by far the best she has and I'm genuinely surprised so many people bash them.
  • The Charge Shot is an absolute must-have for various reasons, the most important being tacking on damage or getting free KOes from afar (Sniping recovering opponents his huge) and having a very powerful punish for shielding our F-Air. That last point, I really wanna hammer in. How often does an opponent learn to just shield your SH F-Air? All the time right? And they always attempt to approach while your grounded before you can F-Air again. A fully charged shot to the face changes that and can net you a crucial KO to take a set. Even uncharged is free damage if they fall into the pattern of shielding F-Air.
  • Fire Pillar is stupid good against foes with below average recoveries. A well-placed Fire Pillar completely covers the ledge with it's very deceptive range. This make Little Mac a joke for Gunner. As for other characters, this is the one move that I'd say a custom is better for as Missiles are just solid pressure in any MU but if you know you'll be fighting a Mac, break out the Pillar and take your free game.
  • Down-B Grenade has a stunning amount of ending lag that makes it incredibly unsafe if you whiff it. The Absorption Barrier is MU-dependent but the ability to stall your descent with Reflector is good in any MU.
  • Standard Up-B offers too much mobility to not use. The recovery that spikes is a decent alternative but being able to recover from just about anywhere very safely is too good to pass on.
So I could harp on the good aspects of this character all night but let's focus on the negative:
Mii Gunner gets bodied by well-timed shields. Mii Gunner has no moves that are safe-on-shield and by no moves, I mean anything but F-Air which is an issue because F-Air, while a ridiculous zoning tool no character should ever have, has very little for damage and stales hard. I can't stress enough how important this is. F-Air can only keep them at bay for so long and one hit from the more powerful characters or one bread-and-butter combo from others is equivalent to FOUR of our F-Airs! (Some examples: MK's D-Throw to Up-B combo does 22%, Sonic's Side-B to Up-Air combo does 33%, Dedede can just bop us with an aerial for 13-19%) If the opponent gets a percent lead, we have a hell of an up-hill battle just to get it back and in most match-ups, we won't be able to. Gunner doesn't have the combos or grab-game a lot of characters fall back on for easy damage; and on top of that, our dash grab is pathetic to begin with so shield is a really good option against us. We don't even have safe pokes like Samus does with her legs for days, legs that make Marth's Falchion look like a toothpick F-Tilt. So much of our damage is going to come from F-Air that, when people adapt to our F-Air, we're gonna have some serious trouble.

Our character has the overall issues of not enough safe damage and no grab game to punish shielding. Don't get me wrong, the positives of this character out-weigh the negatives but it's the negatives that are really going to decide just how good of a character Gunner is.

But, Wii U is going to change a fair bit for us. Stages like Smashville are going to be super good for Gunner but also the C-Stick is huge. Gunner has a real solid D-Smash that the 3DS just makes too inconsistent to spam in the heat of a fight. F-Air's gonna get intresting with a C-Stick as well since you don't have to move forward at all to use it. But there's also the double-edged sword of Smash DI which works against us more than with us with our multi-hit F-Smash and Up-Air. Interesting times for an interesting character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom