• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated recovery?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's recovery isn't as bad as many say imo. He has decent DI and his up-B covers some pretty good distance coupled with his cape. Any thoughts?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
his up b travels a shorter combined horizontal and vertical distance than nearly every character's Up-B...the cape helps only slightly

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
It is not really the distance that makes it better than average (my opinion that it is but whatever). It is the fireballs along with the upb that makes it hard to edgeguard (compared to others). That is the true beauty of the recovery.

The distance is not that bad either, just nothing to brag about. XD

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I hate Mario's recovery. I have to try so hard just to get close to the edge. With other characters, you usually just push one button, and you're there.

With Mario, it's Over+B, Over+B, B to stun them, Over+B, Down+B+B+B+B+B+B, Up+B.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
his up b travels a shorter combined horizontal and vertical distance than nearly every character's Up-B...the cape helps only slightly
Um...no? He's got moderate horizontal and vertical recovery because of his DIable up-B. Not like G&W who only goes up or DK who can only go horizontal. And yea, his fireballs protect him from edgeguarding.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Thing about Mario's Recovery is it actually requires you to try...and take time to practice and master it. His recovery is okay, but some people underrate it because it requires so much to simply get back to the stage edge.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Good to see you post here again Matador. Weee.

I agree that his recovery is underrated, not by too much though. It is still pretty easy to keep him off the stage compared to many other characters but his fancy doodads and whatnot give him enough oomph to get back more often than some might expect.

If someone is trying, and knows how to edge guard Mario, ask Eggz, there's no hope vs a lot of characters.
Fireballs are easily avoided. There's always a way around them and onto the ledge, whether it be WDing off, FFing past the ledge and bairing, or whatever. Not a good recovery. Still not as bad as Sheik's though.

YangKang

Smash Apprentice
When Mario gets knocked off very hard he needs to use all his "tools" just to get to the edge most of the times you will get edgeguarded because you got JUST the range to get to the edge and if someone edge hoges ure lost.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If someone is trying, and knows how to edge guard Mario, ask Eggz, there's no hope vs a lot of characters.
Fireballs are easily avoided. There's always a way around them and onto the ledge, whether it be WDing off, FFing past the ledge and bairing, or whatever. Not a good recovery. Still not as bad as Sheik's though.
I agree, I just didn't understand why people say his recovery is among the worst when it isn't. It's about average if you know how to use it correctly and utilize your fireballs.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Okay. I thought it was everyone. You're always right soooo......it must just be Mario mostly. XD

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Mario's recovery is crap, once you know what to expect. Sure you can throw in a few capes, a down-b stall, and some fireballs, but you don't get the same kind of distance and/or variation as you would with say, Samus' bomb DI or Jiggs' jump+pound stalling. When you get down to it, his up-b is very easy to edgehog. His fireballs are dead easy to avoid--well timed ledgestalled hops or ledgedashes -> edgehogs work extremely well. And up-b stalling to get the edgeguarder off the edge leaves you very vulnerable.

There's really not much to Mario's recovery. Yes, it's better than Doc's, but it's still relatively easy to edgeguard compared to the rest of the cast out there.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Compared with Samus and Jiggs? They have the best recoveries in the game. My arguement was with the people putting him amongst the worst recoveries. I'd say he's about middle.

Top Bottom