• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Let me mark the 10,000 day by commenting how awesomely weird it would be if, in an upcoming Direct, Mike was revealed as CP11. I keep getting the vibes that CP11 is going to be first party. Imagine if it turned out to be Mike and it's combined with an announcement that ST1 and 2 will be released in regions that don't have them and we'll also get a new game?

BTW, the only other series that I know if that has received no notice in Ultimate is Eggerland/Adventures of Lolo.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
What if StarTropics had a crossover with Advance Wars?

smash puffle

Smash Ace

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
An official Japanese localization of the first game would be more than enough to renew my faith in Nintendo. Even a mediocre PNG (Spirit) in Smash would also suffice!

Imagine if, during the last Smash presentation, they reveal a Mii costume with a song! They could even give the Mii costume a splash screen as they did with Geno just to emphasize how big of a deal it is!

MIKE JONES TESTS HIS ISLAND COURAGE!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
sadly and as expected, no startropics news.
Nintendo announced that Nintendo 64 games are coming to Nintendo Switch Online, snd StarTropics 2 is STILL not getting rereleased.

BUT. Since N64 games are being rereleased now...
We can only hope Pilotwings 64, the last Nintendo game that made a direct reference to StarTropics (before Animal Crossing New Horizons) can finally get a rerelease after 25 years. It's time to spread the word for PW64 and ST2 to get the respect they deserve, it's WAAAY long overdue for both of these games.

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
If I had a dollar for every time a palm tree has fooled me, I would have 5 dollars by now.
1632450276627(1).png

Seeing that city in ruins really made me think of the planet Argonia! Also, it's quite interesting how this city happens to have a building RESEMBLING the Space Needle that also happens to be in Seattle, WA!
Capture+_2021-09-23-17-42-23(1).png

Imagine if this Kirby game ends up having a StarTropics (ST) reference of some kind!

On a different note, it seems like Nintendo doesn't have plans to release the Advance Wars (AW) remakes in Japan. This got me thinking if Nintendo is willing to remake the first 2 AW games for its western audience, could they also be willing to remake the first ST game?

Here's a chart I made for the ST timeline:
1632613853060.png

Just imagine all the possible lore we could have gotten if Nintendo hadn't abandoned the series!

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I wanted to do a recap of some of the speculation that has taken place here, but I keep getting an error message whenever I try to insert images. . . (maybe it's because there are way too many people using this site at the time)

Anyways, here's an interesting thing I came across on Twitter:

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I just replied to Nintendo's tweet about the Mii costumes with this, and I already started getting angry DMs alongside other nonsense.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Smash fans never change.

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
It was nice interacting with you guys, even if we all knew deep down that Smash would end without any StarTropics content. At least we were able to dream for a moment and believe in the Southern Cross.

I won't be active anymore on this site, but I'll continue to advocate for a revival of the series. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, one day the higher-ups at Nintendo will remember the series' existence.

Even if nothing ever happens, at least we'll rest assured knowing that we did everything we could've possibly have done to support the series.

Take care, everyone.

Sincerely,
Dr. Richie
2020102310292300-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

Oddball

Smash Lord
It was nice interacting with you guys, even if we all knew deep down that Smash would end without any StarTropics content. At least we were able to dream for a moment and believe in the Southern Cross.

I won't be active anymore on this site, but I'll continue to advocate for a revival of the series. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, one day the higher-ups at Nintendo will remember the series' existence.

Even if nothing ever happens, at least we'll rest assured knowing that we did everything we could've possibly have done to support the series.

Take care, everyone.

Sincerely,
Dr. Richie
View attachment 333407
oTXI44y.gif

It was nice knowing ya', pal. Hopefully we'll see you again some time.

And hey, maybe we'll get lucky next Smash game.

Mike feels more like he should be base roster than DLC anyway.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I made a Mike Jones skin for Lucas in Smash Bros. Crusade:

I also updated the StarTropics stage I made a while back:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I wonder how many spirit events the game has left. I know Startropics is an extremely minor series, but you would think it would get at least one spirit. Same with Lolo from the Eggerland series.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
What could've been...

Anyways, Ultimate may have gave us a lot, but it sure was a major blow to us StarTropics fans. We got a resounding NOTHING in terms of representation, and it burned us all out. And it's highly unlikely that we're getting a Mike Jones spirit at this point... But... We cannot give up now.
There's always next game, even if that will happen in the far, FAR future. And we must show our support for the series harder than ever.

This has been quite a journey, to be honest. I never expected to have made a campaign for such an obscure character for such an obscure game, but here I am, pushing it forward for over 2 years by now. The community has grown quite a bit since then, considerably more than the Brawl and Smash 4 days, and I'm happy that I at least had some sort of involvement with that. If it wasn't by this thread, I would've never done this, so thank you very much for the support.
We also got the 1st game widely available on the Switch, and who can forget the Coralcola reference in Animal Crossing!

Here's hoping the community will grow even further and the support for ST and Mike in not just Smash, but in general, with a new game to boot!
But until that happens, we must keep going. And always remember... Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible.

See ya later, you radical people!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey everyone!

So it's been another game, and no StarTropics reference of any kind..

Tbh I at least expected a spirit representation since that seems to be the bare minimum. But once one didn't make it to base game, I abandoned hope.

I've been a heavy supporter for Mike in smash for decades. I was disappointed not to see him in the original SSB for 64! And I started my first support thread for Mike in Brawl.
Whipping up a photoshopped Mike render that (accidentally) spawned a rumor of his inclusion on said game, and a sprite animation, were the highlights of my contributions. :D

So i had my share of fun. StarTropics is a legendary game to me.

It's sad to see all of our spirits crushed.. but if I'm being honest... At least we're in a better place than we were in the past 2 smash games.

Sure, we still have no representation in Smash.
We had none on NES Remix 1+2.
And still nothing on Warioware...

BUT.

• Western Nintendo devs still seem to care, as we got ST on the NES classic and NSO.

• we now have a discord! So we can all still have discussions, and share stuff. You guys aren't going POOF for another 5 years or so again.

• The fanbase has grown significantly larger if you ask me. We'll be harder to ignore next time!

If anything I have a feeling we'll at least get Zoda's Revenge on the NSO soon. Completely out of nowhere.
And when it does, we should all make a HUGE deal about it. Like get this sucker to trend or something.

Chin up people!
See you on the SmashTropics discord ser-! *TILE SINKS

Last edited:
Top Bottom