• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
As much as I want the remaining two characters of the Pass to be third party, I am willing to sacrifice one of them if it means Mike Jones gets in.
If we are indeed getting Mike as a playable character, then he has to be revealed next! If for whatever reason he is the final character, then for people it would be a disappointing way to end the DLC. Not to mention how much hate he might get for being a Nintendo character and also being the last fighter. . .

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Just me taking a jab out of this new "figure theory" dumb dumb thing:

EDIT: Smash X Math is fun

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Just a "little" rant here but I'm really starting to get tired of people seeing blue R.O.B. as a navcom reference. NAV-COM's sprite is NOT BLUE. It's PURPLE. If anything, the pink skin resembles navcom more by that logic since that skin has purple segments. Heck, his original artwork has robs gray colors.
Can I also just say, that this thought makes no common sense? So, how is it possible that NAVCOM is the character that represents StarTropics for all these years with an objectively inaccurate skin, and there's still NO Mike Jones trophy/sticker/spirit? It just doesn't add up. It's very obvious that NoJ doesn't care or is even aware of StarTropics, so why would they even give rob a skin referencing a minor character in that game, and yet they refuse to aknowledge the MAIN PROTAGONIST OF SAID GAME FOR OVER A DECADE NOW!? In the end, ST is NOT represented, the Chronicle mention from Brawl does not count and they BETTER give us at LEAST a glorified PNG of Mike before Ultimate is done with dev support, or else... I dunno what we're gonna do after this you guys...

Allright, let's end this post on a more... positive note?
Anyone here remember this Brawl in the family comic? I do... Honestly I get its made to mock the EarthBound/StarTropics comparison, but... kinda getting annoyed of that whole thing as well. Specially in regards to Smash...
unnamed.png

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Can you just imagine the reaction if Mike Jones had been revealed instead of Pyra/Mythra? I wonder if he did get in, would he get an alt? Main appearance is how he looks in Startropics and his alt is with his jacket as in Zoda's Revenge?

I'm not sure if we would even get a spirit event for Startropics. The first Fire Emblem game got localized after all these years and it'd be nice if Star Tropics was ported to Japan.

It'd even be interesting to see a Mii Swordfigher costume with a baseball bat standing in for the sword.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Happy 1st birthday to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The Nintendo game that brought us the first reference or even a mention of StarTropics since Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Just a "little" rant here but I'm really starting to get tired of people seeing blue R.O.B. as a navcom reference. NAV-COM's sprite is NOT BLUE. It's PURPLE. If anything, the pink skin resembles navcom more by that logic since that skin has purple segments. Heck, his original artwork has robs gray colors.
Can I also just say, that this thought makes no common sense? So, how is it possible that NAVCOM is the character that represents StarTropics for all these years with an objectively inaccurate skin, and there's still NO Mike Jones trophy/sticker/spirit? It just doesn't add up. It's very obvious that NoJ doesn't care or is even aware of StarTropics, so why would they even give rob a skin referencing a minor character in that game, and yet they refuse to aknowledge the MAIN PROTAGONIST OF SAID GAME FOR OVER A DECADE NOW!? In the end, ST is NOT represented, the Chronicle mention from Brawl does not count and they BETTER give us at LEAST a glorified PNG of Mike before Ultimate is done with dev support, or else... I dunno what we're gonna do after this you guys...

Allright, let's end this post on a more... positive note?
Anyone here remember this Brawl in the family comic? I do... Honestly I get its made to mock the EarthBound/StarTropics comparison, but... kinda getting annoyed of that whole thing as well. Specially in regards to Smash...
View attachment 307829
It really grinds my gears when people start saying that StarTropics copied EarthBound. The only reason they have stuff in common is that both were created with an American audience in mind! Oh, boy and don't get me started with the whole "bUt MiKe wOuLd Be A nEss ClOne." Mike doesn't use his yo-yo and psychic powers the same way Ness does! And even then, they also like to ignore the fact that Ness borrows nearly all his special attacks from other EarthBound characters! Just take a look at this:

Attachments

smash puffle

Smash Ace
One of these days they'll say yes.
For context, the Seattle Mariners are a baseball team. They were used to be owned by Nintendo. Mike Jones is an ace pitcher from Seattle and he comes from a Nintendo developed game. It's just a perfect mashup.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Anybody want to see art of Mike Jones and Ayumi Tachibana for Famicom detective club xoxo (It's not vulgar at all it's just romance)

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I'll be watching this just in case a new StarTropics game is revealed tomorrow.

EDIT: GetsuFumaDen got revealed instead, what

Last edited:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Is it safe to say that there are other versions of the box art in different languages? (I hope they don't become lost media)

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I know that I might be setting myself up for potential disappointment, but I just can't help but speculate. I genuinely believe Nintendo will unveil something StarTropics (ST) related during this year's E3.

This announcement can be a Japanese release of ST, Mike in Smash, or even a third game! Apparently, there was a rumor of Retro Studios working on an ST reboot back in the Wii U days. After reading countless forums, I found that this rumor started as a joke. What if said rumor ended up reaching Nintendo?

The ST series has been dormant for nearly 3 decades, and Nintendo suddenly started to acknowledge it after the reference found in Animal Crossing New Horizons (ACNH)! Here are some examples of this sudden acknowledgment: ACNH reference, pig butt in Luigi's Mansion 3, Nintendo Power Podcast, and Nintendo recommending the game through the News Channel!

Why would Nintendo start to show some interest now!? We also know that Sakurai heard about ST in an interview, and he also has stated that he imports games to Japan, with Super Punch-Out being an example. There's just no way he isn't aware of the series, specifically when you take into account that there are Japanese Nintendo fans who do know about ST.

I once came across a series of tweets in Japanese where Nintendo fans themselves were pointing out Smash's bias towards games released in Japan. They said that it would be fair if Mike joined the game, specifically when considering Lucas's inclusion. Mr. Sakurai has tweeted some images that could be interpreted as references to ST 1 & 2! The two images at the bottom were tweeted by him on a particular day: April 8th. You know what else happened on that particular day; the Gematsu leak happened!

In another interview, Tanabe stated that he would be working on bringing back series in which Takeda worked. We got a Punch-Out reboot for the Wii, then we got a new Pilot Wings for the 3DS! It's also important to note that Next Level Games approached Nintendo for the Punch-Out reboot. If anything, they would probably also approach Nintendo for a new ST.

Around the time of the Nintendo Direct back in February, someone posted an ST leak on the StarTropics subreddit. The leak itself turned out to be fake. However, a certain Twitter user by the name of @HotGirlVideos69 later said that the leak in question was fake, but that an ST reboot has indeed been in the works.

Last year, Nintendo of America (NoA) tweeted a poll in which Zelda fans could what type of Zelda games they prefer (2D or 3D). 3D Zelda won the poll with an outstanding 80% of the vote! ST did more than enough to distinguish itself from Zelda; both series can coexist. I don't know, I just found that poll interesting.

People are still interested in ST, just take a look at how much traction the following tweets got: the ACNH reference, the letter we sent to NoA, the Nintendo Power Podcast, and Devolver Digital's tweet! Anyways, those are my two cents regarding ST speculation.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
The SGDQ game lineup was revealed yesterday:
And look which game will be featured in it...
E07TblQWYAIVYja.png

StarTropics 2 will be at the event. Exciting! Maybe this kind of exposure to the game will finally motivate Nintendo to rerelease ST2 on the Switch after all this time...

Top Bottom