• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Um... Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Smash Rookie
I'm new to Smash and everything, and I wanted to see if I was okay at Ness, so I thought I would ask some people for some help...

Can a more experienced Ness main brawl me and give me some tips?

Thank you in advance. :3

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I ain't advanced, but I consider myself experienced and I'm certainly willing to help.

PM your Friend Code to me. Send me a private message (or post ) when you're ready.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
You should put up a Friend Code so that you can have others register you. There's no better teacher than experience I always say. Oh wait. I don't always say that. But that little bit of advice should hold true anyway.

As for general tips:
*Try to break any habit of PSI Fire spam. It's situationally cheap. You may want to practice against a human Bowser to learn to break that bad habit.
*This actually goes for playing as characters in general, but: Up Smash for anti-air, Down Smash to cover both sides on the ground, Forward Smash to cover a defense on one side, Up Throw for the Star KO, Down Throw to start a combo, either side Throw to throw the opponent to the side (I main a character whose Back Throw also is a kill move, but it may simply be him and Ness among a few others), Neutral Air for priority, directional Air for range, tilts for quick attacks in a direction, running attack for initiative, and jab for speed.
*Ness's Yo-Yo can take some getting used to, but expect it to be worth it. Up Smash will cover the front first, then move around Ness in a half-circle, then return to him from his back. Down Smash will cover the back side first, then move horizontally, then return to him from the front. Use these details to punish dodging or just get the initiative.
*PSI Thunder Missile should be practiced. Just be aware that it can easily be gimped and outside of Brawl+ or a future SSB where Ness will get infinite PSI Thunder, it may be better to just practice shaking the opponent off.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
You should put up a Friend Code so that you can have others register you. There's no better teacher than experience I always say. Oh wait. I don't always say that. But that little bit of advice should hold true anyway.

As for general tips:
*Try to break any habit of PSI Fire spam. It's situationally cheap. You may want to practice against a human Bowser to learn to break that bad habit.
*This actually goes for playing as characters in general, but: Up Smash for anti-air, Down Smash to cover both sides on the ground, Forward Smash to cover a defense on one side, Up Throw for the Star KO, Down Throw to start a combo, either side Throw to throw the opponent to the side (I main a character whose Back Throw also is a kill move, but it may simply be him and Ness among a few others), Neutral Air for priority, directional Air for range, tilts for quick attacks in a direction, running attack for initiative, and jab for speed.
*Ness's Yo-Yo can take some getting used to, but expect it to be worth it. Up Smash will cover the front first, then move around Ness in a half-circle, then return to him from his back. Down Smash will cover the back side first, then move horizontally, then return to him from the front. Use these details to punish dodging or just get the initiative.
*PSI Thunder Missile should be practiced. Just be aware that it can easily be gimped and outside of Brawl+ or a future SSB where Ness will get infinite PSI Thunder, it may be better to just practice shaking the opponent off.
Summary: Read the stickies :laugh:

I'm waiting for you online 'till you're ready.

Levitas

the moon
welcome to smashboards ^_^

If you have a specific question relating to ness, it should go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203533

There's a number of FAQs and vids around that should help out.

If you have the means to, post a vid or a replay somewhere so we can critique it/give you some advice.

I'm gonna close this, since I don't see a way for this to lead into anything substantial, but good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom