• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate's knock-back physics, will they be a problem?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
BronzeGreekGod BronzeGreekGod Again, how would we get this faster game? And would we want to in the same vein as Melee? I'm sure the answer you will give to the second answer is no, but I'm curious about the first. Also, we can't have the game be too fast, else it might cause it to create too high a skill floor. Honestly, I think the overall speed shown in Ultimate is a perfect amount of quickness in terms of overall moves and how you combo or chase into them, but I would definitely like more combo-DI based play, as well as more potential for combos without making the game faster as a whole (in terms of animations, gravity, physics, etc). So what would I do to achieve this?

1: Increase general fast fall speed

This is different from gravity changes because fast fall is something the player is in control of. It allows for less overall floatiness, especially in the neutral, while still allowing for slower, more methodical play should the player wish to use it, whether for situational purposes or because their character relies on slower overall play to win.

2: Increase hitstun and DI variance

These two go hand in hand. DI is the reason why I actually like Smash Bros for combos where other fighters fail, because DI allows for player interaction and thus interesting mindgames not just in the neutral, but even in the advantage state. This should speed up the game technically, but still allow for worse players to get out of these combos should they DI correctly due to the increased variance of it. However, this means the tutorial has to go over DI, which is easy enough.

3: More move functionality

We need more multipurpose moves, whether it be sourspots for combos attached to sweetspots for kills, or more shield cancelling, angles on projectiles/smashes, more multihit smashes a la Link FSmash, etc.

4: More separated move statistics

I have noticed that Smash Bros seems to have formulas in their move equations that intertwine multiple things. For example, knockback on a move is dependent on its damage, priority is dependent on damage, shieldstun is dependent on damage, hitstun is dependent on damage. If we decoupled these stats, we could create much more varied moves with more purposes, and thus much more varied gameplay between characters, which helps literally everyone: casual, competitive, and spectator alike.

These are only a few ideas off the top of my head. Notice how only one of them is something that is generally considered a trait from Melee while the others aren't really indicative of any singular Smash game?
Let's change the mode to"fast pace mode" wil that make u happy? Lol

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Let's change the mode to"fast pace mode" wil that make u happy? Lol
You want a better game right? You think simply turning the speed up by X amount across the board will do that? Because it still seems like you just think faster=better without any real substance to that opinion, nor any good reason why anyone should follow that logic to get a better overall competitive game. Also, you replied quite fast. Did you even read my comment there?

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Sales say nothing unless both games are in market at the same time which they're not and they were not. Twitch viewership at events and the fact that Melee was always the main event at tournaments basically tells the whole story. In 2016 alone Smash4 only had the upper hand over Melee in 2 tournaments. EVO 2017 Melee was on Saturday and nearly matched the same views as Smash4 on Sunday spot while being on TV, Disney, and ESPN. Not to mention that Mr. Wizard removed Smash4 from Sunday because nobody showed up to watch it at the main stage.
Entrants were not that far off between Melee and Smash4 apart from the first year due to the game's release, but that happens with any game. See how SFV had 5k entrants and now only 2k just like SF4 did even after all those years after release. The only thing left to measure this popularity is by view count and time slots which were all in favor of Melee.
Can't argue that logic. But that does bring up the question of why nintendo chose to focus on the smash 4 side rather than melee. I mean sakurai already said that he didn't want to make the game too technical for the average person but could there be more to it due to the apparent popularity?

Should we make a separate topic about this though considering that we kinda hijacked the launch mechanic topic?

Alright, I’m gonna say my piece with the little battery I have left on my phone because there’s definity a rift amongst the people who play smash, even though it’s all the same franchise.

First though, for those of you who are reiterating “Sakurai said”, well, he has said a lot of things, many of them contradictory. I can recall posts he made saying villager couldn’t be a fighter, or that Brawl was his last smash game. And while the information is important, it is not set in stone, nor do I, or anyone else for that matter, can truly establish what he has said as fact from small excerpts from interviews he’s conducted. And honestly, it’s kind of irritating when you would site this information out of malice instead of trying to hear what others are saying. That’s weak, man. If you have your personal gripes with whatever game make them be know without attempting to hide behind the words of a man none of us know, or would have never known, if he didn’t make himself visible during Brawl’s development.

As someone who plays all the smash games, but personally loves Melee, I feel like the desire to obtain such a similarity to the game is because it is not only entertaining as a spectator sport, is because the game gives you options. When you are playing Melee, every input you make counts, and with inputs being 1 to 1, no buffer window (except for techs and DI), a refined physics engine, it makes the game feel very good to play, and players optly acknowledge that whether you make a technical error or secure a kill, that it was all on you. This in itself is satisfying, because you aren’t being defeated by an anomaly or systematic error. The mechanics allow for players to fully express themselves within whatever character they choose. You can clearly see if a Fox is either Armada’s or Leffen’s purely based on how they play.

When people say they want another Melee, it’s not just seeking a pure replica of the game; nah. What I believe is that people want what the game has always offered: accessibility, the ability to have control and fluidity with your character, a solid amount of hitstun to make strings and platform based follow ups viable, as well giving characters enough control over DI so that escape is possible, but knowledgeable players can still pursue and follow up (which in congruence creates the amazing combos we see today in Melee).

The problems that occurred with Smash 4 were that it achieved its competitive success by establishing limits on existing techniques, as well as having a neutral game that revolved around landing rogue hits that left an opponent vulnerable in an engine where it is easy to predict and react to.

If you get comboed in Melee, most people can acknowledge this as the comboer having the knowledge and dexterity to follow up, and the comboee being in the right percents, weight, incorrect DI, for a follow up to happen. In Smash 4, it can be something as simple as getting jabbed, and then losing neutral position. This is because it followed the trend that Brawl established, except you had great control over your DI, and the minimal hitstun meant you weren’t screwed over in neutral. Combine the engine with neutered DI and increase hitstun and you have a game that heavily favors a rogue hit momentum swing into trading the right option into a rage KO.

To clarify, if I get SHUFFL Nair comboed across FD in Melee by Fox into a kill, I knew I didn’t DI correctly, and my opponent acknowledged the percent I am at and was able to follow up accordingly while also reading my DI. If I get Nair to Up Smashed by Fox in Smash 4, there was a 1 in 4 chance that I couldn’t tech the follow up, so the game actually killed me (and people say wavedashing is a glitch...). If I get edge guarded and gimped in Melee, I probably didn’t recover right, missed a tech, or my opponents edge play was very strong and intricate, especially when if a player can instantly drop off the ledge, waveland, etc. if I get edge graded in Smash 4, I probably got ledge trumped and lost my invincibility frames, I only have 4 options to get up off of the ledge, and with the ledge timer, I can only get up after so many frames, allowing my opponent to shut down most of my options unless I wait, which then makes me lose my invincibility frames. On top of that, some characters are more susceptible to being punished by holding the ledge more than others because of the games design. really?

Now winding back to why SDI is so important, is because it allowed you to use your DI to position yourself with enough freedom to force your opponent to have to be on point to follow up instead of racking up percent in the same way every time. Lack of proper DI in Smash 4 is why down throw to up air is such s prominent combo, and why Bayonetta can just combo you skyward to ridiculous percents. It makes things predictable and sometimes stagnant.

And yet, I still love the game because it’s fun and it’s smash so I still play it. But please don’t be blind sighted by its flaws because they aren’t as visible as Melee’s ledge hogging or chain grabbing. Recovery latency, inaccurate hit boxes, phone-it-in balance patches, and the game having checker neutral is still there. And while I do acknowledge that the passion for the fans of the game can often be blown out of proportion, I might argue that exists for all games people are passionate about, so stop attacking each other and try to listen.

Wanting what Melee brought to the table isn’t bad, and maybe if the people who attached would research or listen to others, you would know why too.

Or play the damn game, I don’t know.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I’m gonna say my piece with the little battery I have left on my phone because there’s definity a rift amongst the people who play smash, even though it’s all the same franchise.

First though, for those of you who are reiterating “Sakurai said”, well, he has said a lot of things, many of them contradictory. I can recall posts he made saying villager couldn’t be a fighter, or that Brawl was his last smash game. And while the information is important, it is not set in stone, nor do I, or anyone else for that matter, can truly establish what he has said as fact from small excerpts from interviews he’s conducted. And honestly, it’s kind of irritating when you would site this information out of malice instead of trying to hear what others are saying. That’s weak, man. If you have your personal gripes with whatever game make them be know without attempting to hide behind the words of a man none of us know, or would have never known, if he didn’t make himself visible during Brawl’s development.

As someone who plays all the smash games, but personally loves Melee, I feel like the desire to obtain such a similarity to the game is because it is not only entertaining as a spectator sport, is because the game gives you options. When you are playing Melee, every input you make counts, and with inputs being 1 to 1, no buffer window (except for techs and DI), a refined physics engine, it makes the game feel very good to play, and players optly acknowledge that whether you make a technical error or secure a kill, that it was all on you. This in itself is satisfying, because you aren’t being defeated by an anomaly or systematic error. The mechanics allow for players to fully express themselves within whatever character they choose. You can clearly see if a Fox is either Armada’s or Leffen’s purely based on how they play.

When people say they want another Melee, it’s not just seeking a pure replica of the game; nah. What I believe is that people want what the game has always offered: accessibility, the ability to have control and fluidity with your character, a solid amount of hitstun to make strings and platform based follow ups viable, as well giving characters enough control over DI so that escape is possible, but knowledgeable players can still pursue and follow up (which in congruence creates the amazing combos we see today in Melee).

The problems that occurred with Smash 4 were that it achieved its competitive success by establishing limits on existing techniques, as well as having a neutral game that revolved around landing rogue hits that left an opponent vulnerable in an engine where it is easy to predict and react to.

If you get comboed in Melee, most people can acknowledge this as the comboer having the knowledge and dexterity to follow up, and the comboee being in the right percents, weight, incorrect DI, for a follow up to happen. In Smash 4, it can be something as simple as getting jabbed, and then losing neutral position. This is because it followed the trend that Brawl established, except you had great control over your DI, and the minimal hitstun meant you weren’t screwed over in neutral. Combine the engine with neutered DI and increase hitstun and you have a game that heavily favors a rogue hit momentum swing into trading the right option into a rage KO.

To clarify, if I get SHUFFL Nair comboed across FD in Melee by Fox into a kill, I knew I didn’t DI correctly, and my opponent acknowledged the percent I am at and was able to follow up accordingly while also reading my DI. If I get Nair to Up Smashed by Fox in Smash 4, there was a 1 in 4 chance that I couldn’t tech the follow up, so the game actually killed me (and people say wavedashing is a glitch...). If I get edge guarded and gimped in Melee, I probably didn’t recover right, missed a tech, or my opponents edge play was very strong and intricate, especially when if a player can instantly drop off the ledge, waveland, etc. if I get edge graded in Smash 4, I probably got ledge trumped and lost my invincibility frames, I only have 4 options to get up off of the ledge, and with the ledge timer, I can only get up after so many frames, allowing my opponent to shut down most of my options unless I wait, which then makes me lose my invincibility frames. On top of that, some characters are more susceptible to being punished by holding the ledge more than others because of the games design. really?

Now winding back to why SDI is so important, is because it allowed you to use your DI to position yourself with enough freedom to force your opponent to have to be on point to follow up instead of racking up percent in the same way every time. Lack of proper DI in Smash 4 is why down throw to up air is such s prominent combo, and why Bayonetta can just combo you skyward to ridiculous percents. It makes things predictable and sometimes stagnant.

And yet, I still love the game because it’s fun and it’s smash so I still play it. But please don’t be blind sighted by its flaws because they aren’t as visible as Melee’s ledge hogging or chain grabbing. Recovery latency, inaccurate hit boxes, phone-it-in balance patches, and the game having checker neutral is still there. And while I do acknowledge that the passion for the fans of the game can often be blown out of proportion, I might argue that exists for all games people are passionate about, so stop attacking each other and try to listen.

Wanting what Melee brought to the table isn’t bad, and maybe if the people who attached would research or listen to others, you would know why too.

Or play the damn game, I don’t know.
I see what your saying, and I generally agree that Smash 4 could've used some gameplay refinements, and I'd argue would've had the game received longer support. Ultimate does look like it's bringing back some of the fluidity in control you had in Melee. In fact, that's actually the reason Sakurai gave for the Balloon knockback in an interview. When you get launched at high percents in Smash 4, you had to wait for your character to slowly rocket to their apex, wait about 2 more frames, then cancel your hitstun timer to return to the stage if not KOed. By that time, your opponent would've had more than enough time to set up for an easy edgeguard for free. Balloon physics solve this problem, by making sure at high percents, the player is launched to their apex as quickly as possible, and shaving off those 2 extra hitstun frames so that they can act out and get back into fight as quickly as possible. It helps give you more control over your character, and it makes edgeguarding more dynamic than in Smash 4 as now the player needs to setup faster so that you do try and recover. It was a design choice meant to improve the tempo of each match, so that the player feels more in control and makes sure every one is fighting at nearly all times.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You want a better game right? You think simply turning the speed up by X amount across the board will do that? Because it still seems like you just think faster=better without any real substance to that opinion, nor any good reason why anyone should follow that logic to get a better overall competitive game. Also, you replied quite fast. Did you even read my comment there?
No no no. increasing frame rate is not what im talking about man. I thought I was clear. Main things needed are higher gravty, higher jumping velosity to balance the gravity, and higher knockback. There are a few other minor mechanics from melee that could be added, but gravity and knockback are the main ones. Actually one other thing needed would be less end lag on certain attacks to make everyone less clumsy. Im not sure though, maybe that's already been implemented.

Also I think I read ur comment. Let me double check lol

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Ah yes I read that. My reply was just saying let's call the mode something else cause it sounds like u guys have anissuwith it being associated with melee. My thought was calling it melee would just be a cool throwback. Not for creating a carbon copy of melee.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I also have another way to address melees (or a game as technical as melee) "difficult" mechanics. Nintendo usually does this in most of its games in order to get you to learn every mechanic. Smash bros can have a number of different challenges that are specifically designed to make a player learn every little mechanic. There could be challenges that teach you how to wavedash, challenges that teach you how to air dodge, etc. There are a lot of mechanics and techniques I don't even know or use from melee or Project M, so something like this would benefit me too. This not only makes players learn the game more, but it adds some fun challenges for everyone to play.

but ya maybe we should move this discussion to another spot.

Heres the new thread, so respond here: https://smashboards.com/threads/melee-mode-discussion.457482/

Now people can get back to specifically talking about the knockback physics of Smash Ultimate lol

I for one think the new KB mechanics look a bit funky, but im hoping they work better than they look. I also hope there are adjustment options in the menu so players can make it feel how they want, similar to the old knockback scaling in past games. Hopefully knockback can be adjusted to be higher and lower like before (logically this will still be there), but also be adjusted to have less decay so KB is more smooth rather than having that weird sudden slow down. Im hoping for many more options for gameplay mechanics as well. It would be nice to be able to adjust gravity, and also overall vertical initial velocity for all characters as well cause in past games, increasing gravity can cause some silly issues with up B jumps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom