• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Teams, Lack of Orginallity.

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about seeing the same pokemon over and over ? With the same move set, same nature and pretty much the basic format. Dont you guys ever want to use a team with pokemon you dont see much ? And still build them to a very powerfull level, And still mange to be one of the best trainers ? Every time I look at a rate my, I see a good set of pokemon with an okay move set, Its not bad but it could use work, so I can see why they seek advice.

But then I continue to see the same recondmendations. Not bad, but just looking at the basic format I can see were my team would "perfect play" most teams I see. Which really doesnt bug me. Untill I see two more similare topics, with almost exactly the same format and pokemon. Not only that, but when most people post a rate my team . That give a great deal of their strategy to the open, Only to be countered online. Of course people want to use the best tanks,sweeper ect. But take the chance to be open minded with your team of pokemon, Dont allways Depend on what the Next Trainer has to say. I mean I main in tag duels so I have to depend on my advance teaming knowledge. And the basic attack format for pokemon. And I can say I have never lost a double battle. AnD honestly say the same for singles. Ive dueled Members of serebii that are very talented, but still mange to win because common setups and overly used tatics.

I guess what my point is. Is to try to change it up some. Make the online play more intresting not only for me, but to other great trainers too.

fluffy

Smash Champion
well pokemon isn't like how it is on the anime. it's not like pikachu can actually defeat a dragonite, or how pokemon with type advantages usually end up losing. but it is similar in that electivire ***** pikachu and is better than it no matter how hard you try to argue. competitve pokemon isn't fantasy-like. you can dream that castform will one day rule the ubers

OU pokemon are used a lot because they're how you say...better 'quality' than random pokemon such as xatu, delibird, or castform. the game is all about winning. winning is everything. that's why castform should never be used!

im ripping on castform a lot because my friend thinks castform can be useful.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
The OU Pokemon are overused because they work. But, like fluffy said, they play the roles a team needs better than the other Pokemon. Like in UU, Hypno is an effective Special Wall. But who plays the role better and is thus OU? You know who.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

fluffy

Smash Champion
i was gonna say milotic but i figured since hypno is psychic....you were looking for a psychic pokemon.

gardevoir isnt OU. im so stupid lol

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
i was gonna say milotic but i figured since hypno is psychic....you were looking for a psychic pokemon.

gardevoir isnt OU. im so stupid lol
Guess I worded that wrong...

Technically, at first glance, Hypno is a better Special Wall because although it has the same Sp. Def, it has 85 HP instead of 68, and also has 70 Defense instead of 65, so it can take some physical hits a little better. But, if you look into things, Hypno doesn't have a recovery move, while Gardevoir has Wish.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

fluffy

Smash Champion
gardevoir can learn will-o-wisp that halves attacks.

**EDIT**
were already off topic so help me out here.
i was thinking of using froslass cuz:
1.) it's ice and ghost, which is different.
2.) it can learn many moves.
3.) it's cute.
4.) noone ever mentioned her i think...

obviously, those reasons are pathetic but w/e.

i was thinking of this build for froslass:
Froslass @ Leftovers
Timid
Snow Cloak
252 Speed / 252 HP / 6 whatever
> Substitue
> Confuse Ray
> Ice Beam
> Spikes

other optional moves: thunder wave, spikes, toxic, protect, thunder bolt

of course, most of you may say that gengar is a better pokemon which i totally agree. but froslass can be used differently no? froslass can learn thunder wave (gengar can't) which can work wonders with confuse ray. froslass can also learn spikes (gengar can't). and btw, froslass is by far the fastest pokemon that can learn spikes. not including speed-form deoxys. which gives it a chance to at least do a little damage in case it was unfortunately 1HKOed by an unexpecting move. so yea, froslass is awesome. ideas?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Here's a good Froslass set:

Froslass @ Meh, I don't know D:
Timid
Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 HP

Substitute
Confuse Ray / Thunder Wave
Spikes / Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

I wouldn't really use Confuse Ray considering the fact that it can be cured by switching, but you can use it if you want. Always have Ice Beam, and then use either Thunderbolt for coverage or Spikes for Spikes stuff.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

D

Deleted member

frosslass is better with focus sash, ice shard/beam destiny bond

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Guess I worded that wrong...

Technically, at first glance, Hypno is a better Special Wall because although it has the same Sp. Def, it has 85 HP instead of 68, and also has 70 Defense instead of 65, so it can take some physical hits a little better. But, if you look into things, Hypno doesn't have a recovery move, while Gardevoir has Wish.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
Well in Advance Hypno got wish, I cant remember how, whether it was from NYPC, Box, or Breeding.

It it gets it by breeding it can still be used, but I can see why you could get tired of all the OU teams, try mixing in some cool UU pokemon or something, thats what I do.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I like using Gastrodon in my team. He ***** all those OU *****es.

D

Deleted member

play what you like, not what some list says you should.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
play what you like, not what some list says you should.
That's ok if you don't play competitively. But if you're going up against pros you will get *****. However, it would be nice to once in a while play a team that doesn't use the same subsets of pokemon. Fluffy's team for example, uses cloyster and staraptor quite effectively.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
there are some OU taht aren't really used like weezing, donphan and breloom

but some would rather use BL pokes, like staraptor, magmortar, and cloyster, in OU battles

some can handle it some can't, it's all your preference

just whatever you do, don't try to make sunflora useful...

fluffy

Smash Champion
Fluffy's team for example, uses cloyster and staraptor quite effectively.
*blush*
haha well i used those 2 because noone expects stabbed ice shard on cloyster that can 1HKO most dragons as well as ruining ninjasks. and staraptor is the only flying pokemon that knows close combat (correct me if im wrong).

and froslass is cuter than gardevoir >.>

fluffy

Smash Champion
i was jk haha. gardevoir is of course....cuter than froslass.

unless it's a MAN!

lol

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
With Sunny Day support...

Sunflora @ Choice Specs
Modest (SpAtk+ Atk-)
Solar Power

Leaf Storm
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power (Fire)

508 Special Attack + 140 base power STAB attack + Special Attack increase from Solar Power = Ouch.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
With Sunny Day support...

Sunflora @ Choice Specs
Modest (SpAtk+ Atk-)
Solar Power

Leaf Storm
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power (Fire)

508 Special Attack + 140 base power STAB attack + Special Attack increase from Solar Power = Ouch.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
That might be good, if it wasn't for the fact that most everything outspeeds it.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
That might be good, if it wasn't for the fact that most everything outspeeds it.
Well, the most a Sunflora can hit, even with Chlorophyll, is 348, which is just barely outsped by 125s with a neutral Speed nature and 252 EVs in Speed, which hits 349. 348 does outspeed +nature/252 EVed Infernape.

Choice Scarf, however, hits 522, but is still barely outsped by 125 CS users, once again being 1 stat higher.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

mood4food77

Smash Hero
castform works good on any elemental team

sunflora has the worst BST of any final form poke...

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
castform works good on any elemental team

sunflora has the worst BST of any final form poke...
Sunflora = 425

Male Combee = 244

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Edit: Watch this, fluffy:

Castform @ Choice Specs / Salac Berry
Forecast
Modest (SpAtk+ Atk-)
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 176 Spd / 82 Def

Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball

With Choice Specs, Sp. AtK almost hits 400. Good attack coverage. Castform can survive some unboosted hits, surviving just enough for Salac Berry to kick in. Petaya Berry can also work if you have paralysis support.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Sunflora=425
Wobbuffet(an uber!)=405
Well look at that, Sunflora has a higher total base stat than an uber.
I thought Wobbuffet was banned from OU. Nobody uses it in Uber, anyways.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Edit: Actually...

Sunflora = 425

Male Combee = 244

Shedinja = 236

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
wobbuffet has amazing HP... thats why he is banned... he also has his ability shadow tag which prevents escape.... and he has encore.... god i hate wobbuffet...

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
well pokemon isn't like how it is on the anime. it's not like pikachu can actually defeat a dragonite, or how pokemon with type advantages usually end up losing. but it is similar in that electivire ***** pikachu and is better than it no matter how hard you try to argue. competitve pokemon isn't fantasy-like. you can dream that castform will one day rule the ubers

OU pokemon are used a lot because they're how you say...better 'quality' than random pokemon such as xatu, delibird, or castform. the game is all about winning. winning is everything. that's why castform should never be used!

im ripping on castform a lot because my friend thinks castform can be useful.
Im not argueing with facts, but there is alot pokemon with major poteniol to be great, but are simply over looked because it not as popular, or because no one has brought the pokemon to light yet. Ive met very skillled trainers that can pull off some nice combos and manage to be pretty orginal with it as well. 493 pokemon, there is no need to only deem 20 25 of them only useful.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Debated uber:
Tyranitar

OU:
Slowbro
Gengar
Weezing
Starmie (4 gens in a row!)
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Dragonite
Heracross
Skarmory
Donphan
Blissey
Celebi
Swampert
Breloom
Salamence
Metagross
Jirachi
Infernape
Bronzong
Garchomp
Lucario
Hippowdon
Weavile
Magnezone
Rhyperior
Tangrowth
Electivire
Togekiss
Gliscor
Porygon-Z
Dusknoir
Azelf
Heatran
Cresselia

those are all the OU pokes as of right now

now see which are used and the oens that aren't

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
wobbuffet has amazing HP... thats why he is banned... he also has his ability shadow tag which prevents escape.... and he has encore.... god i hate wobbuffet...
No, he's banned because of this:

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Shadow Tag
Any nature that raises one of the Defenses and lowers one of the Attacks. Ubers usually use Special Attacks, so Calm (SpDef+ Atk-) or Careful (SpDef+ SpAtk-) would be good
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpDef / 6 HP

Counter
Mirror Coat
Encore
Safeguard / Charm

Shadow Tag prevents escape. Encore their attack. If it's Physical, use Counter. If it's Special, use Mirror Coat. If it's a status / stat-up, use Safeguard / Charm.

Until wii meet again
Wii4Mii 99

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
No, he's banned because of this:

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Shadow Tag
Any nature that raises one of the Defenses and lowers one of the Attacks. Ubers usually use Special Attacks, so Calm (SpDef+ Atk-) or Careful (SpDef+ SpAtk-) would be good
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpDef / 6 HP

Counter
Mirror Coat
Encore
Safeguard / Charm

Shadow Tag prevents escape. Encore their attack. If it's Physical, use Counter. If it's Special, use Mirror Coat. If it's a status / stat-up, use Safeguard / Charm.

Until wii meet again
Wii4Mii 99

yep, ur right... i was just to lazy to post the whole thing....

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's like tiers for smash

OU is top tier for pokemon

UU is low tier for pokemon

it goes OU, BL, MU (i think) UU, NU

OU stands for overused, basically the top of the top
BL is borderline, the pokes that can be used in tournaments but can't survive very well

MU is for moderately used, they just fall in teh middle, can do well but not so great

UU is for underused, pokes that almost don't have a shot but still can do somethings good

NU is for neverused, basically meaning...don't try them, they're not going anywhere

also there's Uber but those are banned pokes from tournament play

Top Bottom