• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Super Smash Bros. 64 Hack/ GS Hack/ Mod

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
So i was thinking of something, does any one want to create a mod/ thing with this list of things?:
Stages: Have Meta Crystal, Battle Field, Final Destination, Kirby Beta, Kirby Beta 2, and Tutorial Stage on the Stage Selct Screen? Like some how add them to the choices of stages to pick
New Stages: Create some unique and future stages like Pokemon Stadium and others? (to be able to create new stages)

Add Existing Characters: Adding Metal Mario to the stage select screen, making the announcer say his name when chosen, and showing him on the results screen to prevent crashing, adding an option to select your character as polygon (for the pro's who are cocky) maybe by selecting your character and pressing up on D-Pad?

Alternate Costumes: Having some costumes selectable by pressing on the D-Pad?

And Finally, if this thing actually makes it some where

New Character: I was thinking Hit Mon Lee, like almost all his moves involve kicks of other characters? Like captain falcons F-air, a similar B-air to yoshi's with his legs stretching out, his up B could be how he was when he comes out of the pokeball, a start up, then a kick with super armor and a fixed arc, during start up he could be vulnerable? during start up he slightly moves down (like ness up B, but faster and further)
Solid Snake is another thats been lurking in my mind, I'll try to implement the motion detector mine into snakes down smash, use tranquilizer darts for standard B, and either make a new skin for snake, or use his MGS1 skin for nostalgia

Comments: I might be dreaming, cause this probably isnt possible, but would any one be interested in creating this? I have zero skill/ Knowledge of coding and stuff, but i really would love to try, hey, cant a 16 year old dream?
Btw, I think 64 is awesome the way it is, i just think it would be amazing to add all this extra stuff

Last edited:

Madao

Some of these are super hard, while others are doable. The more you want the change, the better off you are, just making a game from scratch. Although if you want to become an extremely talented reverse engineer, then be my guest. It just depends on your goals.

My advice is to start small and work your way up. For starters, learn the basics and start debugging! You're going to need to learn MIPS assembly too. I can help you get started but I don't have the time to actually be an active partner.

By starting small, you get to see your progress. This not only encourages you to keep going, but it also gives you feedback on what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

If you're wondering what to start with, I suggest trying out a ton of gameshark codes, study the internal game, write your findings down, and make basic rom patches. Expanding on previous people's work is a great way to start.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Some of these are super hard, while others are doable. The more you want the change, the better off you are, just making a game from scratch. Although if you want to become an extremely talented reverse engineer, then be my guest. It just depends on your goals.

My advice is to start small and work your way up. For starters, learn the basics and start debugging! You're going to need to learn MIPS assembly too. I can help you get started but I don't have the time to actually be an active partner.

By starting small, you get to see your progress. This not only encourages you to keep going, but it also gives you feedback on what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

If you're wondering what to start with, I suggest trying out a ton of gameshark codes, study the internal game, write your findings down, and make basic rom patches. Expanding on previous people's work is a great way to start.
I'm not sure what a MIPS is, and I'm like 100% new about all this stuff, so should I start off with creating game shark codes?

Madao

I decided to give rom hacking another try and it's been a success. Thanks to Zoinkity and CaitSith2. Now I've overcame the compression issue. Now it's just all about finding addresses, and debugging the complex stuff.
Just to be sure, you mean the play station products right?
Anyway, I suggest you play around with cheat engine, then start making character mods, once you have a feel for the game mechanics. I may start doing character mods myself. So far, I can change Hitbox data, Character physics, some moveset data properties, animation swap, etc.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I decided to give rom hacking another try and it's been a success. Thanks to Zoinkity and CaitSith2. Now I've overcame the compression issue. Now it's just all about finding addresses, and debugging the complex stuff.

Anyway, I suggest you play around with cheat engine, then start making character mods, once you have a feel for the game mechanics. I may start doing character mods myself. So far, I can change Hitbox data, Character physics, some moveset data properties, animation swap, etc.
Madao I always look up to you, you are really amazing you know that?
Btw so I've never used cheat engine before, does it combine with project 64 or something?

mixa

Banned via Warnings

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace

Danny_SsB

Smash Apprentice
here´s the Dream Land without top platform code :)

812184D0 0000
812184D8 0000
812184E0 0000
812184E8 0000
812184F0 0000
812184F8 0000
81218500 0000
81218508 0000
81218510 0000
81218408 0000
81218400 0000
80218836 00D0
8021883C 00D0
80218842 00D0
80218836 00D0
8021883C 00D0
80218842 00D0
81131410 0002

You must be on during the Match, and disable after the match, because got glitch xD

-nero

Smash Rookie

You must be on during the Match, and disable after the match, because got glitch xD
This actually works, cool. If you turn it on before loading DL instead of mid match, as soon as you leave the ground you go right through every platform for the rest of the game lol.

caneut

Smash Ace

812184D0 0000
812184D8 0000
812184E0 0000
812184E8 0000
812184F0 0000
812184F8 0000
81218500 0000
81218508 0000
81218510 0000
81218408 0000
81218400 0000
80218836 00D0
8021883C 00D0
80218842 00D0
80218836 00D0
8021883C 00D0
80218842 00D0
81131410 0002

isn't working for me. i just get graphical errors on the all the platforms but everything still works. activated before and mid match to test.

PLS
but i tried it with someone else TIHS IS GODLIKE

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
So since school is in the way I havnt had much luck with this project, I'm planing to go to college with virtual world development (gaming) should I wait till I learn some experience for this or just try my heart out on this project?

Madao

So since school is in the way I havnt had much luck with this project, I'm planing to go to college with virtual world development (gaming) should I wait till I learn some experience for this or just try my heart out on this project?
My advice to you is, the sooner the better. I could only imagine how much better I'd be at programming, if I started at an earlier age ;/ . I bet there are at least some less important things you do, that you can cut down on. Like for me, sometimes I cut down on videos & games, when I need to get serious.

So try to be more time efficient :) . Do not put it off, because the earlier you familiarize yourself with a subject, the easier it will be, later on. There have been difficult subjects where I read it and thought it was very hard. Slowly over time, just by reviewing it a bit, it started making more sense. What you should do is start trying stuff out, that other people have already done (gameshark and cheat engine on emulator). Try to play around with that for now. Then just keep building off of what you know. Take breaks anytime you get stuck on something.

You'll need to learn assembly, in order to make significant changes to the game, so hopefully you're the type of person who doesn't give up easily :) .

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
My advice to you is, the sooner the better. I could only imagine how much better I'd be at programming, if I started at an earlier age ;/ . I bet there are at least some less important things you do, that you can cut down on. Like for me, sometimes I cut down on videos & games, when I need to get serious.

So try to be more time efficient :) . Do not put it off, because the earlier you familiarize yourself with a subject, the easier it will be, later on. There have been difficult subjects where I read it and thought it was very hard. Slowly over time, just by reviewing it a bit, it started making more sense. What you should do is start trying stuff out, that other people have already done (gameshark and cheat engine on emulator). Try to play around with that for now. Then just keep building off of what you know. Take breaks anytime you get stuck on something.

You'll need to learn assembly, in order to make significant changes to the game, so hopefully you're the type of person who doesn't give up easily :) .
My main thing with game shark is that, what do I do?? Do I just put in random codes and see what happens? :0

Madao

My main thing with game shark is that, what do I do?? Do I just put in random codes and see what happens? :0
Sure some codes are basically on/off switches, but others you can tweak. For instance, color codes, character physics, stage hacks, etc. Usually cheat engine is more convenient though, so you should generally use that for experimenting. You're going to need to learn assembly and how to debug though. Gonna be tough at the beginning, but you'll reap the benefits later on, rather than if you waited to learn. Without assembly knowledge and debugging skills, you won't be able to do much (without help anyway).

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Sure some codes are basically on/off switches, but others you can tweak. For instance, color codes, character physics, stage hacks, etc. Usually cheat engine is more convenient though, so you should generally use that for experimenting. You're going to need to learn assembly and how to debug though. Gonna be tough at the beginning, but you'll reap the benefits later on, rather than if you waited to learn. Without assembly knowledge and debugging skills, you won't be able to do much (without help anyway).
How do I get cheat engine? And where should I learn assembly and debugging from? Could you teach me when you have free time? I would appreciate it greatly!

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Last edited:

Madao

And where should I learn assembly and debugging from? Could you teach me when you have free time? I would appreciate it greatly!
I'll send you some links when we chat with IM. Yes, I can spend some time helping you out :) .

Madao

Thanks so much! Oh my god congratulations!!! YOU HAVE A SHINY RED NAME! TOGETHER, WITH MY BLUE NAME, AND YOUR RED NAME, FIRE AND ICE SHALL RULE THE WORLD
Thanks & you're welcome. I could certainly benefit from having more people working on things. Teamwork is nice.

isn't working for me. i just get graphical errors on the all the platforms but everything still works. activated before and mid match to test.

PLS
but i tried it with someone else THIS IS GODLIKE
I may give it a try. Stage edits seem like fun and now that I can freely edit the rom, there's more incentive to editing now.
HOLY HELL MADAO YOU GOT MOD? NICE JOB!!!
Yup :estatic:. All thanks to everyone who supported me.

caneut

Smash Ace
Madao, now that we can remove the top platform, what about wider/shortening distance of platforms, one platform in them middle, MOVING PLATFORMS(????), slanted platforms?

If we could have a good 5 different configuration of dreamland platforms, and remove whispy, it will be the only 5 stages needed.

Madao

Madao, now that we can remove the top platform, what about wider/shortening distance of platforms, one platform in them middle, MOVING PLATFORMS(????), slanted platforms?

If we could have a good 5 different configuration of dreamland platforms, and remove whispy, it will be the only 5 stages needed.
Dunno about moving platforms, but I might be able to change the size and also make slanted platforms. I could remove the wind too.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
i didnt know what to write lmao so i'll post an old thing studstill said
More accurately
Rom destroying, if you follow me.
Rip everything out of it
except the goddamn single player skeleton
-chris studstill

Madao

@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA . What time are you usually available to work on this stuff? You're interested in modding characters right? Like for balancing. I think that's a great place to start. I still haven't managed to explore stage data yet, but I plan to work on that soon, along with the TASing tests and animation data.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA . What time are you usually available to work on this stuff? You're interested in modding characters right? Like for balancing. I think that's a great place to start. I still haven't managed to explore stage data yet, but I plan to work on that soon, along with the TASing tests and animation data.
I can be free on Thursday after school :3 and I don't want to balance characters cause I like how they are and I want competitive people to feel right at home, but I do wanna modify the characters and try to create a new character out of it ^-^ I was thinking of hit mon lee (pokemon) could be like captain falcon but with all kicks, and maybe even Snake from metal gear solid (down smash will plant a mine, like the item, and will take as long as a fully charged mine from brawl/project m since there's no charging in this game :3

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I can be free on Thursday after school :3 and I don't want to balance characters cause I like how they are and I want competitive people to feel right at home, but I do wanna modify the characters and try to create a new character out of it ^-^ I was thinking of hit mon lee (pokemon) could be like captain falcon but with all kicks, and maybe even Snake from metal gear solid (down smash will plant a mine, like the item, and will take as long as a fully charged mine from brawl/project m since there's no charging in this game :3
Hakeem it would be great if you can be on right now on skype.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Hakeem went on for 5 minutes, left shortly after.
WHAT

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Hakeem went on for 5 minutes, left shortly after.
WHAT
I fell asleep XD I'm sorry I'll get on tomorrow but today I gotta go some where with my older sis

is there anything wrong with that cheat engine? is there a better version to use? im about to start experimenting, and btw i dont want a new search engine and it wants to install one, @ Madao Madao @ Kahnu Kahnu is this the best cheat engine to download?

Last edited by a moderator:

Madao

is there anything wrong with that cheat engine? is there a better version to use? im about to start experimenting, and btw i dont want a new search engine and it wants to install one, @ Madao Madao @ Kahnu Kahnu is this the best cheat engine to download?
I'll walk you through the process in the chat.

Anyway, lets discuss some basic ideas here. Lets just look at character physics. Which character(s) would you be willing to alter their physics? For Instance, increasing Link's Up B height, or making Luigi move faster in the air.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'll walk you through the process in the chat.

Anyway, lets discuss some basic ideas here. Lets just look at character physics. Which character(s) would you be willing to alter their physics? For Instance, increasing Link's Up B height, or making Luigi move faster in the air.
i dont know, i feel like the characters are fine but maybe if they really do need a buff, we could make a poll saying if people want the characters to change

Madao

i dont know, i feel like the characters are fine but maybe if they really do need a buff, we could make a poll saying if people want the characters to change
I don't think you need to ask other people's opinions on who needs a buff. The reason why is because, you should experiment on your own first. Sometimes you just can't know until you try :) . For instance, I had a blast buffing Link, but I'm sure most people would say I made him OP, despite the fact that there are already OP characters, such as Kirby. Not that I'd disagree that I did make Link OP, but I think it can be fun when every character is OP.

My advice is to have fun and experiment.

Top Bottom