• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Super Smash Bros. 64 Hack/ GS Hack/ Mod

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
We have different ideals. To merge them that means that we would have Falcons Knee, sidestepping, and we don'tw want that. We just want to balance low tiers.

Except Maafia, who wants more content which i am sort of in-favor of.
... you literally named the 2 things that makes the hack "different". Also, Falcon knee is just a visual effect, it has the same knockback than his nair (with an electric hit to make it look like in Melee). Sidestepping is not much of a change too because it's triggered by the taunt input (which means it doesn't work OOS). Also, Falcon is the only changed high tier, aside from the Nair/Knee thing, it has a buffed Hspeed for Up B and more vertical speed for Falcon punch. Pikachu and Kirby are untouched (Fox has a better up b, more close to Melee's Fox but it's esentially the same)

And even if people's opinion differs, we don't see major tournaments hosting P:M 3.0 instead of 3.5. If something is standarized, most of people will go for the "latest" patch.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
... you literally named the 2 things that makes the hack "different". Also, Falcon knee is just a visual effect, it has the same knockback than his nair (with an electric hit to make it look like in Melee). Sidestepping is not much of a change too because it's triggered by the taunt input (which means it doesn't work OOS). Also, Falcon is the only changed high tier, aside from the Nair/Knee thing, it has a buffed Hspeed for Up B and more vertical speed for Falcon punch. Pikachu and Kirby are untouched (Fox has a better up b, more close to Melee's Fox but it's esentially the same)

And even if people's opinion differs, we don't see major tournaments hosting P:M 3.0 instead of 3.5. If something is standarized, most of people will go for the "latest" patch.
I think working together is a good idea, madao told me the more people working on the game the more knowledge we get (I think thats sorta what he said)
I'll try to help you, but in the end we'll have 2 Separate Rom hacks :3

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I think working together is a good idea, madao told me the more people working on the game the more knowledge we get (I think thats sorta what he said)
I'll try to help you, but in the end we'll have 2 Separate Rom hacks :3

Madao

I don't know who you have in mind that is interested in modifying this game, but I think most players in this community are not that interested in an actual game mod. Some minor changes like adding stages, quickmatch, etc are fine and could become popular, but I have my doubts about editing characters. All I'm really saying is that I don't think it will be that popular, but it's still worth doing for fun. To me, it doesn't matter if nobody else likes my changes. I play with my own hacks for the lols :) .

Project M is a different community. What you say may be true that they host 3.5 (idek lol), but this community hasn't even upgraded emulators!
Only thing im worried about is switching between games, since I go to Smash 64 tournaments,
This is an example of a common concern among smash 64 players.
More like 4 :) .

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I don't know who you have in mind that is interested in modifying this game, but I think most players in this community are not that interested in an actual game mod. Some minor changes like adding stages, quickmatch, etc are fine and could become popular, but I have my doubts about editing characters. All I'm really saying is that I don't think it will be that popular, but it's still worth doing for fun. To me, it doesn't matter if nobody else likes my changes. I play with my own hacks for the lols :) .

Project M is a different community. What you say may be true that they host 3.5 (idek lol), but this community hasn't even upgraded emulators!
This is an example of a common concern among smash 64 players.
More like 4 :) .
I'm with you Madao.

Balance Hack
felipe
Content

Madao

@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA I just started testing out zoinkity's file inserter and it works great. I'm going to try devoting more time to this stuff. Let me know when you're free to start working on it. I helped out Danny too, so I think we will see some interesting stuff in the near future.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA I just started testing out zoinkity's file inserter and it works great. I'm going to try devoting more time to this stuff. Let me know when you're free to start working on it. I helped out Danny too, so I think we will see some interesting stuff in the near future.
DOES NOT MENTION KAHNU BECAUSE KAHNU IS BAD

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Honestly I dont know what that means but it sounds awesome! I gotta do a whole bunch of crap today (Projects, SAT registration, celebrate sisters birth day (She's turning 22 yay)) But if you want we could do some stuff asap tomorrow :)

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Honestly I dont know what that means but it sounds awesome! I gotta do a whole bunch of crap today (Projects, SAT registration, celebrate sisters birth day (She's turning 22 yay)) But if you want we could do some stuff asap tomorrow :)
madao finally decided he would be finishing the GUI to put files freely in the game like resource files from decompressed rom, with automatic compressor

something like that i'm stupid right now

right now madao found yoshi resource file easy fast and im like lol wow kid wtf and hes like swag boiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Madao

Ok finished the basic GUI. All you do is put all the files in the same folder, then open gui, type in the file names and click the button :) .

Alright, tomorrow sounds good. Can you that of small and easy things you want to change in the game? Some of your goals are hard, so it's best to start easy and work your way through it. Like for me, I edit hitbox data and character physics. I made Luigi better :) . I understand you're more about adding content rather than modifying, but there may still be something you can do soon.
madao finally decided he would be finishing the GUI to put files freely in the game like resource files from decompressed rom, with automatic compressor
All the GUI really does is automate the compression process. So that you don't have to enter cmd commands. Anyway try exploring data, or at the very least, motivate @ Tcll Tcll to get started xD.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Ok finished the basic GUI. All you do is put all the files in the same folder, then open gui, type in the file names and click the button :) .

Alright, tomorrow sounds good. Can you that of small and easy things you want to change in the game? Some of your goals are hard, so it's best to start easy and work your way through it. Like for me, I edit hitbox data and character physics. I made Luigi better :) . I understand you're more about adding content rather than modifying, but there may still be something you can do soon.
All the GUI really does is automate the compression process. So that you don't have to enter cmd commands. Anyway try exploring data, or at the very least, motivate @ Tcll Tcll to get started xD.
Sure, hit box physics sounds cool! So can you create whole new hit boxes or swapping around existing ones? :3 and I'm unsure on what to change first X3 if you want you can make the first call and I'll follow along! Btw Id love to test out that new luigi you created :)
Gnight guys

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
or at the very least, motivate @ Tcll Tcll to get started xD.
riiiiiiight... good luck with that :p

rmbr what I told you on skype, that's exactly what I have to do next before I can get any further... heh
I can't hit that up until after I update (after releasing) 3.0a, where I can work on 3.0 with ease :)

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
@ Madao Madao @ Kahnu Kahnu Woul be, in theory, possible to expand a rom, insert, for example, a new texture to the rom, then redirect the load of a certain texture to the new one?? I know if i make a new texture with the same exact filesize and format it would load that one but inserting new stuff would be more useful for the future.

Btw expect a release of USB in the near future, the file replacer is a incredible speed up (We will not need to create stage, character, port specific codes for every single character in the game LOL)

Last edited:

Madao

@ Madao Madao @ Kahnu Kahnu Woul be, in theory, possible to expand a rom, insert, for example, a new texture to the rom, then redirect the load of a certain texture to the new one?? I know if i make a new texture with the same exact filesize and format it would load that one but inserting new stuff would be more useful for the future.

Btw expect a release of USB in the near future, the file replacer is a incredible speed up (We will not need to create stage, character, port specific codes for every single character in the game LOL)
Yes it's possible to expand a rom and insert a new texture, as long as the n64 hardware would normally be able to work with it. So I don't think HD textures would work. Just so you know, the PAL version is 32mb while NTSC is 16mb. So expanding to 32 should be feasible.

I would like for you guys to start documenting information (if you haven't already). I have been pretty sloppy throughout my time, so my documentation is not good. It's a hassle for me to make rom hacks because I did not keep track of offsets good enough. I may try getting help from certain people. I myself will try finding out what some of the files do.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Yes it's possible to expand a rom and insert a new texture, as long as the n64 hardware would normally be able to work with it. So I don't think HD textures would work. Just so you know, the PAL version is 32mb while NTSC is 16mb. So expanding to 32 should be feasible.

I would like for you guys to start documenting information (if you haven't already). I have been pretty sloppy throughout my time, so my documentation is not good. It's a hassle for me to make rom hacks because I did not keep track of offsets good enough. I may try getting help from certain people. I myself will try finding out what some of the files do.
Danny has all the documentation you need regarding stage blastzones, ledges, and character's hitboxes/properties. we made sure to take care of that.

EDIT: Also, yeah i know HD textures would flop, i just need to insert a small logo to the title screen. I am not fluent in assembly or how 64 code works (i have seen some of your work regarding creating override functions and then turning them into gameshark, would be possible to load and display, in this same way, an extra texture in the title screen?)

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Danny has all the documentation you need regarding stage blastzones, ledges, and character's hitboxes/properties. we made sure to take care of that.

EDIT: Also, yeah i know HD textures would flop, i just need to insert a small logo to the title screen. I am not fluent in assembly or how 64 code works (i have seen some of your work regarding creating override functions and then turning them into gameshark, would be possible to load and display, in this same way, an extra texture in the title screen?)
I remember that there was a universal tool for any 64 game to automatically embed a bmp into it as long as you knew where the location of the texture was in the rom

ill look for it tommorow

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
it's a shame the only linux emu is Mupen64

everything else is for filthy windows >3<

meaning the only option I have is direct ROM editing when it comes to hacking

anyone else here who can program want to port an emulator to Linux??
you'll have to throw away DirectX support... not sure why developers like that better when OpenGL is far superior >_>

Madao

Now we need to start documenting the individual files.

Unfortunately, I'm not that good at hacking. I've never modified textures in an N64 game before. I'll have to learn a lot. It should be possible to do what you're trying to do though. I mean someone made SM64 Multiplayer hack! Pretty impressive imo.
it's a shame the only linux emu is Mupen64

everything else is for filthy windows >3<

meaning the only option I have is direct ROM editing when it comes to hacking

anyone else here who can program want to port an emulator to Linux??
you'll have to throw away DirectX support... not sure why developers like that better when OpenGL is far superior >_>
There are other emu's like MAME. I hear it has a debugger too. Only problem is that the emulator is slow, due to the fact that it prioritizes accuracy. No one here codes for emulators though. Maybe you could try m64p. Imo it's better than the original one (when you're using linux). Not sure how good their debugger is though.
@ Madao Madao do you think we could get something for 64 coding/documentation like what dan got just for Melee? I'd be more than happy to share what I've documented so far (although none of my documentation has to deal with the rom), and help make tutorials (like my unfinished how to use gameshark)
I think after we collect enough material, it may be possible to have a dedicated section. First I want to collect a lot of information though. For now, I think I may start adding more info to a wiki.
http://opensa.dantarion.com/
http://www.ssbwiki.com/

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
@ Madao Madao @ Kahnu Kahnu Danny found something really interesting

While messing with Nemu, he found a memory adress that made characters unable to do certain attacks. He noticed all the normal character had this adress set to the same value. Except for the polygons. Changing its value to match the one the normal characters use make them able to do special attacks.

What does this means??? with a bit of work we could go the Brawl way and use the slot of the polygons to create characters

EDIT: If you wanna test yourself, for Dreamland, the memory adress is 002E0E38 , if you are polygon mario you will find this value: FFFC0000, change it to FFFFFFF0

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

While messing with Nemu, he found a memory adress that made characters unable to do certain attacks. He noticed all the normal character had this adress set to the same value. Except for the polygons. Changing its value to match the one the normal characters use make them able to do special attacks.

What does this means??? with a bit of work we could go the Brawl way and use the slot of the polygons to create characters

EDIT: If you wanna test yourself, for Dreamland, the memory adress is 002E0E38 , if you are polygon mario you will find this value: FFFC0000, change it to FFFFFFF0
This was an AMAZING find.
Gonna post pics l8er.

Edit: Didn't work. I went to the address and changed the value. I still couldn't use specials. Post pics pls?

Last edited:

Madao

Nice! I found an issue though. Some moves will freeze the game, unless the regular character is also loaded in the match. It's going to require a lot of code change I think, in order to make specials work. One good example of crashing, is using polygon samus. Down B and taunt crash the game, and charge special doesn't work. Yet if I do samus VS polygon samus, it all works.

That variable seems to be part of the same structure as the character physics data.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Nice! I found an issue though. Some moves will freeze the game, unless the regular character is also loaded in the match. It's going to require a lot of code change I think, in order to make specials work. One good example of crashing, is using polygon samus. Down B and taunt crash the game, and charge special doesn't work. Yet if I do samus VS polygon samus, it all works.

That variable seems to be part of the same structure as the character physics data.
P.Mario fireballs also don't work unless Mario is loaded. Seems like projectiles are a shared stat

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
So thats why it didn't work for me.
rip polygons
But you could use Up nd Down b lol, it seems like is just a projectile related problem

In a non related comment, we are making a Ganondorf over P.Falcon PSA. Weak item throw forwardas jab FTW hahahaha

Top Bottom