• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

slomo431

Smash Ace
Robtown I can understand why we may seem uninviting. Most of us have been smashing with the same people for the last year, and every time we play we always get into the routine Andy referred to with the alternating teams. Unfortunately, last week was less the normal smashfest we're used to and more the first meeting of the new Smash RSO that just formed a few days ago, and we mishandled it a bit. We really had no idea how many people were interested, and I guess a lot of us couldn't bring or forgot about bringing setups, so the big screen got a little crowded. However, a couple of us were able to go home and get 2 more games set up in around an hour, but you may have left by then. I think several people did.

I was one of the people on that TV first that day, and speaking for myself, when I sit down to smash, I pretty much zone out. It doesn't matter if two or twenty people are behind me waiting to play, all I'm really paying attention to is what's on the screen, and for that I apologize. For that reason, you have to call next. Like at a pool table at a bar or a beer pong table at a party, with such a high demand, you're probably not going to get in the next game unless you call for it. It's our fault for not really talking to people about that first.

I understand that you did do exactly that, and I have no idea why you weren't let in, but maybe by then all the regulars had already paired up and didn't want to split off again. Next time you can look around and grab a partner if we're playing doubles like that before you ask. Some of us especially me don't really talk much, so those nods, mumbles, or grunts you experienced before might be all we'll give you, especially while we're playing, but it's enough to tell you that once the match is over you should make a move to plug yourself in when it's your turn.

If you don't know anyone come find me, I'll partner with you. Just look for Henrik, or slomo, or the Fox nametagged SLOW who always loses yet is still allowed to play on the big boy TV. We really are trying to be a student organization open to anyone who plays one of the Smash games to have fun and get better, not be an elitist club (at least I think so, anyway). Next time I'll get you in. I gots connections.

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
In response to this whole discussion...I kinda understand what robtown is sayin. But it's never been to the point w/ u guys that u guys don't acknowledge me since I'm not really part of the whole "clique". I suggest robtown to first befriend some of da ppl here and smash in rooms b4 expecting to be totally accepted into the event.

Oh and hey trossman I'll come down and play. or u can come up to my place in wardall. Make sure u call if u do though hehe my roommates are kinda annoyed when ppl show up w/o callin. jus look me up on fb or sumthin "Vikaas Shanker".

I got my luigi a lil better and i wanna see if u use ur shl well now.

Oh and just a side note: Is anyone goin to the DJ Tiesto concert next weekend? We're trying to get a group of people for convenience sake.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Vikaas I need to play you again, if you remember who I am. There's a surprising number of Luigi's around here and I need practice. You coming to any of the Sunday smashfests in the future?

brickman

Smash Lord
Hey, Vikass you messaged me the other day about the smash RSO. Just to let you know we will probably (hopefully) have our first organized smash event this weekend providing that orientation goes as planned. As far as playing with people I think Weston on the weekends is a pretty standard place, hopefully Allen Hall in the future, but it seems like we are getting friendlies once a week.

More information to come.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I have recently come into possession of a working Gamecube that I can start bringing and hopefully not dropping. That gives us Andy, me, and the twins bringing setups. If we could get another TV, whoever's gamecube that was paired with my lone TV last Saturday could use that for a fourth. Anybody have bigger TVs they'd be willing to lug about? I don't mind the small ones for singles, but for doubles they're not as great.

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i remember u Henrik. I'd be up for playin anytime but I'm gone next weekend as well. I can most likely come to the smashfests after that.

That's cool brickman just keep updatin w/ info and I'll see which ones I can come to. Is there a general meeting as well? And where exactly is Weston?

I have a gamecube, but my tv is awfully large and i live in the dorms. Plus I've got a whole 3 systems + DVD and VCR + video capture setup and would be really annoyed to unhook my tv.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Vikaas: Yeah we should definitely get something going. there's a suprising number of good smash players in ISR, Wardall specifically. You should look around for some of the other guys too. I have a really busy semester and don't have lots of free time after this week, heck it's a toss up as to whether I'm gonna be able to make it to Sunday smashfests anymore.

Weston is the western most dorm in the sixpack. I suppose i could bring a TV if it's in Allen, but I couldn't lug my TV to Weston w/o a car.

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
yeah jon I'm gonna be real busy too w/ classes and stuff. I'm on 8th floor and there doesn't seem to be many smashers here (that I can't easily beat w/ G&W)...i'll have to go a floor up i guess hehe. U know if david is still in ISR?

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
hey guys i have a tv that can be used for future smashfests, but its really old and requires an RFU adapter. its roughly 18 in. i could prbly bring it to Allen with someone to help half way , prbly not weston unless someone has a car. im yao's partner, frank btw. couldnt make this week's smashfest, i went home but i will definitely come by next time. i live in isr as well, pm me if you wanna smash ill try and get back asap

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
I will also smash with anyone willing to play. I live near 6 pack (at a fraternity) so drop me a line if you'd like to play.
I main ICs and Frank mains C. Falcon, for those of you who don't know us.

J

Jabbar

i'm at hendrick house and am also not particular about who i play. though my schedule and major make me pretty busy.

i'm trying to generally get better and be more consistent with my wavedashes, short hops, and just general strategy. i learn little from the smahsers at hendrick who are anti-l-canceling, anti-c-sticking, etc.

PLEASE PLAY ME

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i'm free to play all day today
pm me if u want to play

i just have some mandatory program at 7:30

so anytime before and after i'm free to do whatever

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
i like playing!

im at Europa on Oregon, its pretty close to hendrick jab

so just pm me or post i check it pretty regularly

brickman

Smash Lord
Dunno, I don't think we can have it at my place tonight, roommates don't seem up to it right now. Post as soon as someone can agree on a place to play.

We should have bi-weeklies.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
we can play in my dorm
it's in PAR
dunno if anyone is willing to come there
also i have to be leaving at 7:30 as mentioned before

or we could do it at the FAR or PAR lounge
no one ever really uses the TV

brickman

Smash Lord
haha. well it doesn't look like it is going to happen today, but I do think that it is possible for us to organize a during the week smash session somewhere. Maybe tomorrow when I am getting information on how to get spaces on campus, we will be able to get a space for bi-weeklies. Allen Hall lounge, fingers crossed.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
You mean semi-weeklies... biweeklies would be once every two weeks.

edit: When did I lose my custom title? Humph.

BIG C

Smash Master
Beard!!!!!!!!

false it can go both ways. Beard 2 Be Feared

bi·week·ly /baɪˈwikli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bahy-week-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, noun, plural -lies, adverb
–adjective 1. occurring every two weeks.
2. occurring twice a week; semiweekly.
–noun 3. a periodical issued every other week.
–adverb 4. every two weeks.
5. twice a week.

brickman

Smash Lord
Lol, thank you for the corrections. In any case, I think we should play twice a week. Friendlies during the week, and tournament/friendlies on the weekend.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Very well, Charles, but if we used both acceptable definitions, no one would know exactly what "biweekly" means and everything would be all higgledy-piggledy.

Since in smash "biweekly" almost always means "every two weeks," let's stick with that.

BIG C

Smash Master
but you can't just assume everyone in the community knows what biweekly means. I mean most do but when I first heard it I assumed they were twice a week. Long story short assuming makes an as$ out of u and me.

2222 good.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Well, on a somewhat related note, how would tournaments twice a month sound? Probably around the size of the our last tourney and every once in a while have a big tournament for "charity".

slomo431

Smash Ace
Yeah smash once a week just isn't enough. By the time the weekend rolls around I always feel rusty again.

Top Bottom