• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

slomo431

Smash Ace
I'm up for smash this weekend. I really need to get my fox back in shape, I'm messing up technically way too much now. I think my cube has officially died now so I'll no longer be able to bring one, but I still have a 13" tv, game and mem card we can use.

As for the RSO, I'm fine with the name Smashing Illini and the current administration. I'd prefer smashfests on Sunday afternoons or maybe nights because those would least conflict with my schedule, and on weekends I go home I'll mostly be back in time to still play. I'm not too supportive of the LCD tvs people have been offering up, simply because even a little lag screws me over so bad. I don't have the kind of adaptability to handle it, but some people don't mind it so as long as there are some normal TVs around I guess we could still use em.

Challenging other schools would be interesting. Let's have a Big Ten Championship.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Yuck, the laggy LCDs are a no.

The only school anywhere near us that could challenge us is Purdue. Cunning, Tink, Iggy...

brickman

Smash Lord
Yea, after bringing my one LCD I agree whole heartedly, LCD's are not for smash. As far as setting up the RSO, at about 1pm Thursday, I am going to head out and set that up. We should probably contact Robyn in order to reserve the Allen Hall lounge for Sunday.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll ask Robin, but if that falls through we should just play at weston. So we're gonna make this for sometime in the afternoon on Sunday? Say 3 on sunday?

Edit: Ok, it seems we can't rent the room in Allen w/o being an RSO already. So think we should just count on being at weston at about 3 on sunday. Is that good for everyone?

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, how was summer?

I'm at Wardall 816 (triple) if any of ya wanna smash. All 3 of us are up for it anytime until next week classes start or on the weekends. You guys should definitely come up if you have time especially Abhi...

Just make sure u call my cell first: 630-730-6941

brickman

Smash Lord
So the RSO has been formed, just need to have myself, Dave O, Matt and Tom Radovich, and Trossman to sign the form of non discrimination. Then I have to attend the orientation on Wednesday, and then we can begin to plan and hold tournaments, friendlies and other events on campus. I hope that all the aforementioned people are attending Weston tomorrow so we can get this form signed.

brickman

Smash Lord
Non discrimination form is all signed. All that needs to be done is to turn it in. we should be able to have a legitimate tournament sometime in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I'll work pretty hard to get a friendlies together this week at Allen Hall.

Azuryu

Smash Cadet
I assume your LCD lag with Smash is from using a GC? I haven't seen this problem with progressive scan for the Wii. I guess if anyone brings a Wii to these things we can use the LCD for that and GC's for normal Tvs.

CrimsonQueso

Smash Apprentice
I'll try it at my friend's (jhunwung is his SWF name, I think)
I'm pretty sure we tried progressive scan and it didn't work.

Azuryu

Smash Cadet
I tried my Wii on a 17" Sony LCD with PG on and there was no lag. I also tried on a 37" Insignia LCD and no lag either. Both TVs are HD TVs and I used componet cables instead of the composite ones. When I disabled PG on my Wii and used either composite or component cables, I noticed some lag. It could be the LCD that is the problem.

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
I didn't notice any lag on my 4x" LCD at home using either the Wii or Gamecube w/ or w/o progressive. I dunno maybe it's just a selective problem for certain products.

Anyways, once you get this whole RSO up and running, gimme a call or sumthin.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
i thought the lag had to do with the HD technology, last year i played on my friend's lcd (no HD) and there were no problems... something about upscaling the resolution resulting in some number of frame lag... something like that?

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i bet the people that don't notice lag are people that haven't played enough lol
plus, people adjust to lag, there was lag on the TV at weston

brickman

Smash Lord
Alright, so the people in charge of processing the non discrimination forms are taking a while and are not getting back to me yet with the information about orientation. This inevitably will mean that the date for actual organized friendlies will probably be pushed back another week due to bureaucratic nonsense. In any case, I think we should have another friendlies this weekend at Weston, if at all possible. Discuss what day you want it on, Saturday or Sunday. It seemed like 3 PM is a pretty reasonable time. I'll bring a sheet of paper so you can write down your email addresses for the RSO mailing list.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Same time, same place would be good with me. And maybe we should do a mini-tourney this time? (no $, of course)

brickman

Smash Lord
Sounds good to me. Singles or doubles? Both? We should get a rough estimate of the amount of people who want to play. Round robin, swiss, double elimination?? Andy, you obviously know the most about these things, please help figure out what is best for us.

P.S. when is SMYM 9?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
That's all fairly easy to decide once we see how many people and TVs we have.

...and by the way, if you guys could each bring half a setup like you did last time, please do.

edit: Are we on 9 already? I believe we're looking at early December.

brickman

Smash Lord
Alright, the orientation meeting that I have to attend in order for our RSO to be created is on September 5, 2007 from 3:00 – 4:00 pm. After this I think everything should be in order.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I won't be able to make it on Sunday, leaving town that day. Nevertheless, I vote for doubles.

slomo431

Smash Ace
I'm here Saturday. If everyone can make it on Saturday, I vote for singles.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
It just so happens that this Saturday is better for me also. Usually, they aren't.

How's 2pm?

I figured we would do doubles AND singles. If we have 3 TVs we'll have plenty of time.

R

Robtown

I smashed with you guys last weekend in Weston and I must say that I was less than impressed. Not in your skills, but in your demeanor. I have never played with people that were more uninviting and less enthusiastic than you guys. If you wish to find other fellow smashers to play with, you guys need to change your attitude. It's not all about the competition; sometimes it's about the fun. So I suggest that if you want to actually have a large UIUC smashfest one day, that you begin to welcome new players instead of shutting them out. I hope you gentlemen can find the error in your ways before you push all of the other smashers away.

Regards,

Robtown

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
If you had stuck around a little longer, you would have had plenty of fun on the other two TVs with the various people that showed up. Unfortunately, smash has cliques just like anything else, and the big TV is for the best players.
I may just be speaking for myself here, and if any of my friends want to disagree, they're welcome to, but that's what I've observed in my many years of playing.

Now then, when I get up to set up another system so that other people can play, I would rather not have some unknown player try to steal my seat and my controller. He (was that you, or one of your friends?) may not have realized it, but that was rude.

R

Robtown

Cliques are not an excuse. Just because you have a group of friends that you play with doesn't mean you can't be accepting of other people that want to play. And I was not that person that you are referring to; I played last weekend, not yesterday. I didn't steal any seats or any controllers or anything of the sort. I asked to play and instead of getting a "sure, you can play" or "you can play the next round" or even a "I'm sorry but we don't usually like when new people just jump in", I was merely acknowledged with grunts and mumbles. It's not like I barged in either. I brought my own controller, I sat down and waited my turn, and I politely asked if I could play. Despite this though, you all remained disinterested and aloof.

I'm not trying to say that you're all a bunch of jerks, that isn't my point. I love smashing and I like to take any opportunity I can to meet fellow smashers. I'm just saying this because I'm disappointed at what I saw at Weston. It wasn't what I expected from players of such a fantastic and fun game. I do want to play with you guys; you're all skilled and knowledgeable. But I don't want to play if you all act in the same patronizing manner.

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
I would say that I agree in that we're not the most inviting. That isn't to say we shut people out, just that when we start playing, we just start playing and don't really ask the people around to play much. On the other hand, if you ask to get in next we would be sure to accommodate. Even if you need a controller, someone would eventually let you use their's.

I don't think any of us are really competitive while we're playing friendlies, we're pretty much playing for fun. I mean, we closed the night out with item FFA's on Hyrule. You might have caught us during a tourney though, in that case we were being competitive.

I'm sorry you didn't feel welcome, but I think you just caught us at a bad time for friendlies. This weekend we'll just do a smashfest I think. But really, to say we're not enthusiastic is a lie and an insult lol.

Edit: Took my time writing this as you wrote yours. Hmm, I'm not really sure what happened then and I'm sorry but I don't really remember. If it was near the beginning of that smashfest we were all playing on one TV and had about 12+ people. It's tough for anybody to get in at that point.

If it was later then I still don't know what happened. At that smashfest we all pretty much stayed on that TV which over crowded it.

I'm really sorry that you felt excluded and I agree that that shouldn't have happened. I know I at least am always up for playing random people in my dorm room (ISR townsend 308).

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Well, here's the thing. For most of that afternoon, we were switching between 3-4 teams of comparably skilled players who are all good friends, and the idea of having some unknown guy pop in was not appealing. Some of us (perhaps not all) would have been annoyed to have to mess up the rhythm like that.
I didn't mention cliques as an excuse so much as to tell you the sad truth. You can't just pop in and be accepted, and I wish it weren't like that, but it is.

Did you give the other TVs a shot? For most of the time they were full of players, and my guess is that you could have gotten a spot much more easily.

Top Bottom