• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Thread

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
just got off the phone with mckinley. durand or whoever he spoke to was mistaken. if we rent the upstairs area, we wouldn't have access to it until 1:30 because they still have to use that area for lunch service, so i went with the downstairs area. I decided we'd be better off getting the bottom area like usual. The date will be March 10th. I'm going in to pay the deposit tmw.

Ricecannon

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody, my name is Patric.

I am posting to talk to you guys about running a tournament sometime on campus. I am with engineering council and we want to hold a tournament because our director really likes smash and to raise money for habitat for humanity. So pretty much I wanted to touch base with you guys because I figure you all would know a thing or two about smash tourneys. We were thinking a 10$ buy in where half goes to the prize pool and the other half goes towards donations. I am fairly sure we can get pizza to eat and drinks.

I guess some questions I wanted to know are, what is the usual payout system for tourneys in this community? what version of smash is the most popular here? (or do tourneys run multiple smash games?) I guess most importantly, would there even be an interest from you guys to attending such an event?

We are thinking about running it in feburary, and I will be checking back here often to check replies from you. Please lemme know what I can do to get some support from you.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hey!

Sounds like a great time; we have pretty sizeable communities here for smash 64 and for melee; I don't think running them both would be impossible.

A local tourney, to the best of my knowledge, would usually pay out first through third, with first getting something like 60%, 2nd getting around 30%, and 10% for third.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd definitely attend if it was on a weekend, and I'm pretty sure a few others from the boards would as well.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Hello everybody, my name is Patric.

I am posting to talk to you guys about running a tournament sometime on campus. I am with engineering council and we want to hold a tournament because our director really likes smash and to raise money for habitat for humanity. So pretty much I wanted to touch base with you guys because I figure you all would know a thing or two about smash tourneys. We were thinking a 10$ buy in where half goes to the prize pool and the other half goes towards donations. I am fairly sure we can get pizza to eat and drinks.

I guess some questions I wanted to know are, what is the usual payout system for tourneys in this community? what version of smash is the most popular here? (or do tourneys run multiple smash games?) I guess most importantly, would there even be an interest from you guys to attending such an event?

We are thinking about running it in feburary, and I will be checking back here often to check replies from you. Please lemme know what I can do to get some support from you.

Wassup Patric. I'm Kevin, a junior in ECE, so I'd be totally down to help the EC with this stuff. Pretty much everyone on Smashboards is always wanting to go to a tournament, especially one on campus. I'll be TO (Tournament Organizer) for SMYM, a pretty large regional Melee tournament, on campus at McKinley Foundation on March 10. If you guys would like, I'd be more than happy to help with organizing your Habitat for Humanity Tournament. Feel free to get in touch with me at hsu34@illinois.edu

My guess is that with our campus, it might actually be best to run tournaments for all 3 smash games. Although I don't like playing Brawl, I would happily enter 64 for fun in addition to melee, my personal favorite. A lot of other players share this sentiment of liking multiple games in the franchise. Our competitive Brawl community around Champaign-Urbana is pretty small (only Ripple?), but we do see a lot of people on this UIUC thread asking around for people to play Brawl with, so the turnout for that event should be pretty good as well.

The toughest consideration might be getting enough setups to run a tournament and have extras so people can get some friendly matches as well. You might want to consider offering a "discount" of sorts to people who can provide a full setup (TV+console+game) so maybe they'll get to enter 2 events for the price of 1, or something of that nature.

Finally, I'm curious as to which venue you guys were planning on using for this event. As I said above, feel free to email me directly.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Wassup Patric. I'm Kevin, a junior in ECE, so I'd be totally down to help the EC with this stuff. Pretty much everyone on Smashboards is always wanting to go to a tournament, especially one on campus. I'll be TO (Tournament Organizer) for SMYM, a pretty large regional Melee tournament, on campus at McKinley Foundation on March 10. If you guys would like, I'd be more than happy to help with organizing your Habitat for Humanity Tournament. Feel free to get in touch with me at hsu34@illinois.edu

My guess is that with our campus, it might actually be best to run tournaments for all 3 smash games. Although I don't like playing Brawl, I would happily enter 64 for fun in addition to melee, my personal favorite. A lot of other players share this sentiment of liking multiple games in the franchise. Our competitive Brawl community around Champaign-Urbana is pretty small (only Ripple?), but we do see a lot of people on this UIUC thread asking around for people to play Brawl with, so the turnout for that event should be pretty good as well.

The toughest consideration might be getting enough setups to run a tournament and have extras so people can get some friendly matches as well. You might want to consider offering a "discount" of sorts to people who can provide a full setup (TV+console+game) so maybe they'll get to enter 2 events for the price of 1, or something of that nature.

Finally, I'm curious as to which venue you guys were planning on using for this event. As I said above, feel free to email me directly.
I'd definitely be down for a tournament of sorts. Would you mind posting time, place, price, etc. on the thread when everything is organized? Thanks in advance!

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
yo did they change it cuz I was pretty sure doors open at 9AM, better to have people around to set up asap. Also we barely make it out the door when the tourny starts at 12PM, losing time to setting up with be bad. Also we have to clean up the place as well before midnight.

Is it pools then brackets? or is everyone gonna be in brackets. specify.
probably doubles pools at 12. then single pools + doubles bracket, and then single bracket
something like that

pool sheets needed, I assume u'll bring a laptop for organization, garbage bags needed, duck tape needed, paper needed, er megaphone if you don't want to lose your voice can be rented out somewhere, I forget. also I believe it is the day after unofficial again this year as well? so take caution on parking spaces and etc...

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm down for the local tournament as well, and I can bring a full setup (Tube + Wii + Melee), especially if its for the Engineering dept.

Ricecannon

Smash Rookie
So is Feburary 14th or 21st a good day to get this tourney running? It will be run at seibel center too most likely. Ill let you guys know more details later.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
yo did they change it cuz I was pretty sure doors open at 9AM, better to have people around to set up asap. Also we barely make it out the door when the tourny starts at 12PM, losing time to setting up with be bad. Also we have to clean up the place as well before midnight.

Is it pools then brackets? or is everyone gonna be in brackets. specify.
probably doubles pools at 12. then single pools + doubles bracket, and then single bracket
something like that

pool sheets needed, I assume u'll bring a laptop for organization, garbage bags needed, duck tape needed, paper needed, er megaphone if you don't want to lose your voice can be rented out somewhere, I forget. also I believe it is the day after unofficial again this year as well? so take caution on parking spaces and etc...
He said the upper room opened at 1:30, so he went with the lower room.

The bullhorn is an absolute necessity. I've always rented from Herriott's on Neil. And we once ended up with a really crappy old one on which I had to tape wires together to get it to work, so it may be wise to request one of the newer ones.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I got 4-5 kids from Uni who're raring to enter 64 if it happens

Charity is the ****.

Oh and anyone wanna smash this weekend? I'm feeling the 64 but melee is cool as well

tbhuang2

Smash Apprentice
Ricecannon, I'm looking forward to that tournament! :)

Also, I should be down for melee tonight

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I got 4-5 kids from Uni who're raring to enter 64 if it happens

Charity is the ****.

Oh and anyone wanna smash this weekend? I'm feeling the 64 but melee is cool as well
I'm more of a melee player, but I suppose Im not too terrible at 64 haha, I actually got the whole set up in my room in van doren (tube tv, wii, n64, both games) if you're still interested.

Battlecow

Play to Win
hells yeah! When and where?

And Ricecannon, are you sure the tourney shouldn't be on a weekend? I'll be able to show up either way, but... weekend seems like it'd be easier for more people. Your call.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
triple postttttt

when are you guys good to smash this week? Any day this week should be fine for jack and me.

Also, is anyone down to house some ppl for SMYM? You don't have to, but it'll earn you some street cred and you'll get to smash with someone before/after the tournament

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Anyone want to Smash tonight?

Also, I need to talk to someone / anyone involved with organizing SMYM 13. Reply or PM me or something. Or hit me up for some Smash this week and talk to me then please.

Edit: Lol, hai thar :p

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
WAIT you were sick when you played me on sunday? Screw you! I have a sore throat and **** now you bum

Also sorry I couldn't show today guys

Yeah and Joe I want another shot at those ganon ditto MM's this weekend (**** breaking even lol someone needs to lose money), so maybe we could have a get together with >1 setup (I could prolly bring one)?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Charlie, that sounds like a plan (and sorry about the sore throat haha).

And hell no I don't want to break even, even if I lose $5, I'll feel like I LEARNED something lmao. Ganon dittos asap.

Anybody know of a place?

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I don't have much time tmw, but we can smash Friday or Saturday at my place. I only need a tv for a second setup.

edit: GGs yesterday everyone. We need some of our non-falcons to show up next time! I also forgot to ask you guys if you're down to house some smashers for SMYM.

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
I've got a small tube available for use, just need some form of transportation getting it to your place bert.

Yeah. As hilarious as falcon team dittos may be, some variety would be much appreciated.

tbhuang2

Smash Apprentice
I've got a small tube available for use, just need some form of transportation getting it to your place bert.

Yeah. As hilarious as falcon team dittos may be, some variety would be much appreciated.
If you haven't been offered a ride yet, I wouldn't mind picking you up. Hopefully finding parking near bert's isn't too bad? Let me know.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I don't have much time tmw, but we can smash Friday or Saturday at my place. I only need a tv for a second setup.

edit: GGs yesterday everyone. We need some of our non-falcons to show up next time! I also forgot to ask you guys if you're down to house some smashers for SMYM.
Well I can bring my pathetic ganon to the party, but I still have a lot to improve on haha.

Also, I have a pretty nice tube TV, but it would be a last resort, seeing as its pretty heavy and I live 4 stories high.

By the way, just a quick question. Why is literally everybody here a falcon main? Just curious lol

sirlaser

Smash Journeyman
tbhuang: Thank you for the offer. I actually only live ~ 3 blocks away from bert, so it'll hopefully not be too much of a burden on your part.

PT: The real question is: Why isn't everyone a Falcon Main?

Top Bottom