• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC Smashfest's

jamz

Smash Journeyman
ok so this saturday (9/9/06) from 2:00 pm - whenever. ill prolly be quitting no later than 7 or 8 though seeing its a saturday night and im a typical college student. its gonna be at weston dorms

Weston Hall
204 East Peabody Drive
Champaign, IL 6182

cubes and TVs are needed seeing as we will prolly only have two set ups. parking may be a little rough seeing as how the weston dorm parking is only for like 15 minutes but im sure u guys will be creative and find some place.

tAKs

Smash Rookie
i go there twicea year around campus town so if you keep holding them, i guess i can go there sometime

slomo431

Smash Ace
I am there. Saturdays would be fine for me, or any other weekend day. Tuesdays too. Yay for no class on Tuesdays.

jamz

Smash Journeyman
^ lol, lucky *******. ok so i guess ill set something up and then run it by u guys. cubes would be appreciated and if anyone feels like bringing a TV that would be sweet too :) . AOB u gotta get grid to come, i gotta get a rematch after he beat me so badly at the tiny charity tourney my roomie and i held at weston last year.

REY

Smash Cadet
i like that........yes smash fest kinda close to my home i got better now so........... il b looking foward to that

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
really, kamikaze falco? i can't imagine this would be worth the 3-4hr drive.

about grid, well, it might be possible that i can perhaps convince him to come along once, maybe.

Jazzness

Smash Ace
Kamikaze ... dude we drove from champaign urbana to your place = 4 hours...

I'll be in Urbana from time to time. I'm always up for smash if i'm in the area.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
yeah, but there was money involved, and we're stupid like that. if he doesn't want to drive 4hrs for a smashfest, it shows that... he has a brain!

ike--Luigi

Smash Rookie
lol... too funny...

i'll most likely be here, like i said...

yeah...

we should do a $5 entry fee

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
it was the word "dude" that made you come off that way, just so you know.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Hey I traveled to Des Moines. Which is 4 hrs. Like I said I hope to see you guys at the St Louis tourney. Sep 30 i think. I'm definetly going to SMYM6 on November 4th. And I guess in between then I'm going to try to find some smashfests. I just want to get as much experience as possible. so far I have been to two tourneys and one smashfest.

jamz

Smash Journeyman
^ lol impatient a little :) . ok so this saturday from 2:00 pm - whenever. ill be quitting no later than 7 or 8 though seeing its a saturday night and im a typical college student. its gonna be at weston dorms

Weston Hall
204 East Peabody Drive
Champaign, IL 6182

cubes and TVs are appreciated. parking may be a little rough seeing as how the weston dorm parking is only for like 15 minutes but im sure u guys will be creative and find some place.

slomo431

Smash Ace
****, I have to go home this weekend so I'm gonna have to miss this. This is happening again next week right? If so there's no way I'm gonna miss that.

rentaknight

Smash Rookie
I live at Weston and i'll be setting these things up with Jamz. I wouldn't mind playing every staurday for a few hours as long as theres enough interest/people. There are probably 6-7 avid smashers around here that i know would probably be available at least once a week. It would be nice if we could get some exposure across campus, find all the quality players and see if we can't get a weekly thing going.

slomo431

Smash Ace
The Facebook group Super Smash Bros. Melee seems to have a few people looking for people to play every now and then. If you're part of that maybe you could make some type of announcement and hopefully a few quality players will turn up. It'd be nice to have these weeklies, SMYMs, and the Smash tournaments at the Student Union during Illinites. That'd make for a lot of SSBM competition down here. Judging from the Illinites tourneys last year, there's plenty of people interested in smash, although a lot of them don't know much about advanced play. Is there anyone on here that helped with those Illinites tournaments last year and know whether or not these will keep happening this year?

jamz

Smash Journeyman
yea, rent is gonna help me run this stuff since he is the one that lives at weston. the facebook thing is a good idea.

rentaknight

Smash Rookie
yeah that's no problem, i might go home for labor day as well. I am interested in setting up weekly events here at Weston so it won't matter which day whoever will be coming.

I joined all the smash facebook groups last year, and they are not active, at least noone has posted anything in a few months. I think i'm going to create a new facebook group for a weekly smashers thing and keep it updated regularly.

I attended both the illinites events last year, and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. The time constraints are too much when you have 100+ players signing up when only a handful know how to play the game competively. With no buy in or regulation on who can sign up, the tourny's ran rather sloppily with poeple not showing up for their matches or not knowing when to play or even how to play. I will say the 2v2 tourny wasn't as bad, accept for everyone getting kicked out before finals could even get started. I'm not sure who orginizes illinites, but i woudln't be suprised if they hold another smash event there this year. But i doubt it'l run any better than the ones they held previously.

Last year, here at weston we (me and jamz) held a small charity 1v1 tourny that turned out pretty well. Was a 5$ buy in and with very little exposure we drew maybe 50 players? i can't remember. Again only a handful were decent, but we had a good turnout and it it went pretty smoothly. I'd be willing to setup something similiar every other week as long as there is enough interest, and we could find enough tv's/cubes

slomo431

Smash Ace
Heh, yeah those Illinites tourneys were a mess, but I'll take any opportunities to smash I can get. Illinites, MLG Chi 2006, and your charity tourney were the only ones I've ever been to. Plus my friends usually only want to play like twice a month.

Your charity tournament was pretty fun though. It was my first experience playing on a screen bigger than 20". For some reason it really threw me off. I really sucked at Smash back then, but now thanks to Smashboards, I suck slightly less.

I always have a cube and sometimes even two I could bring. 2 mem cards too. Unfortunately, I only have smash version 1.0. Don't know my friends' version. I know how much everyone here hates anything but 1.2. I have a TV too, but it's only 13".

Jazzness

Smash Ace
I've been playing competitive smash for over a year, and have been scouting out Urbana for up and coming talents. Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

217-714-7182 .

I'll be in Urbana this weekend, probably going to the Ship Smash League, but I might be able to smash some other time.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
13" isn't a tv, that's a wristwatch screen. I'll be down periodically, so I'm in sometimes, and when I do, I'll bring at least one decent person.

Hopefully I can get down there for school next semester, so I'll be able to attend more often.

The Illinites tourneys were a mess, but they were free, so I'm not complaining.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
hey, fyi.. some friends of mine run the SoComFG (society of competitive fighting games) club at uiuc. one of them told me that they had a lot of people sign up on quad day for smash. ill pass along any info i get to you guys for things that they set up and vice versa.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Is that a new RSO or something? I've never seen that in 3 years of Quad Days. But then again I just go for the free **** they hand out. Info on their doings would be nice.

rentaknight

Smash Rookie
hey, fyi.. some friends of mine run the SoComFG (society of competitive fighting games) club at uiuc. one of them told me that they had a lot of people sign up on quad day for smash. ill pass along any info i get to you guys for things that they set up and vice versa.
got any contact info?

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
jamz & rent:

i was talking to my friend and we came up with the following. would one of you guys like to be the "smash chair" of the club? i think it'd be a real good way to centralize all the people that play smash at uiuc. SoComFG is an official RSO, they are working on a website as we speak. You could prolly use the club to get room reservations and funding for i dont know what (maybe food for one of your smashfests).

if you guys are interested, the president of the club is jerry.. his SN is SuperAzn73. you can IM him anytime, just tell him that i sent you.

also, most of the officers are into standard 2D fighters, so if you guys do the smash part of it that would really help the club out.

the post regularly on the uiuc forum at srk (shoryuken.com). if you guys want to post there, thats a good way to contact them as well. the link is here.

as a side note: if anyone is willing to learn guilty gear or some other 2D fighters, they are more than willing to teach you.

i think he told me that there were at least 6 smashers that signed up that were serious about playing competitively.

if theres anything else you need let me know.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
** bump ** since this was on the second page.. =(

andy, im sorry.. i guess the champaign smash scene is dead after all. except for all the newbs and newcomers that i know that go to school there.

Top Bottom