• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UGH. Why do I enjoy playing Roy more than Marth now?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
His air game sucks.
His combos don't look as cool as Marth's.
His recovery is garbage.
He isn't as fast as Marth.
His outfits aren't as cool(White Mart > Gold Roy)
His throws don't have as many follow-ups.

WHY DO I LIKE PLAYING HIM MORE?!?!?

All in all, I feel some of my MArth coming through in my Roy. I tend to Fair directly out of my shorthop. I guess I SHDF too much with Marth. Not to mention I probably shouldn't be Fairing with Roy in the first place unless I wanna lead into an Fsmash.

I also tend to mindgame more with Roy than probably any of my other characters. Or at least, my mindgames seem more apparent. Also, timing the counter feels SOOOOOO good.

I guess I like his physics. I see what he could have been though. Oh well, at least he has fire!!

TheLake

Smash Master
Well Shffl'ing with roy makes you feel like the fastest player ever.. Hes a noob destroyer so maybe you have weak competition and arent forcing your self to try your hardest? Fight some good folks...like fox users. Then marth will start looking a whooole lot nicer.

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
I also find playing Roy more satisfying too as a Marth player. I also agree with TheLake, when I SHFFL fairs I feel like lightning and I do also tend to mindgame more since it's harder to combo. But I love fair -> dtilt -> fair -> fsmash at low %. Works like a charm for me. :D
Roy is extremely underrated imo.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
just because a character is high tier it doesn't make them any more fun (unless you need to win to have fun). Since many players switch around who they find most enjoyable to play with, perhaps you will end this unhealthy addiction.

royinator

Smash Cadet
Bragging rights

Roy's pretty low tier while Marth's high tier
Beating fox/falco/marth (all high tier) w/ Roy nets some nice bragging rights :laugh:

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
because the sound of a well sweetspotted fsmash is like an orgasm in your ear.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Because you enjoy losing?

Heh, I like using Roy more than Marth as well, simply for his physics though. I don't really use floaty characters, so Marth is "blah" to me.

Btw, Roy's recovery isn't that bad when you compare it to the rest of the cast. Also, he's at least as fast if not faster than Marth. People get the feeling that Marth is faster since, obviously, Marth players tend to hit with the tip while Roy players need to get their opponent closer. That being said, Marth players hit there opponents sooner than Roy players.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
It is the worst, I'm pretty sure.

Also I think I like roy because I feel more agile as him than with marth. And it feels like more of an effort to fight with him and I like the challenge. Marth is just tippers... zzzz ...

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Just play Marth and refuse to play Roy. Marth will grow on you and you'll begin to like him more. Then you'll wonder why you ever played Roy.

Worked for me. Marth's legitimately my favorite character to play now.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Really? All that happened for me was I ended up playing them both.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Everyone who played Marth has tried out Roy and found him a little more fun. But later, meh, Marth is more fun. They end up picking both up, dropping one, or just keeping one in the first place.

Roy's SHFFL are smexy fast, and he has his reverse Up-B on those angry Jiggz. Not to mention is counter attack, (possibly for an edgeguard?).

Even in Marth Player's eyes, Roy will always be too darn fun to play!

Top Bottom