• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UFGT10:X - May 23-25, 2014 - Chicago, IL

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
I will be there. I'm in pool G1 so I'm playing at 10AM Saturday morning.

Thanks for the challonge brackets CurlyW - really helpful!

Last edited:

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
I went and it was fun, but I was a bit dissapointed for a few reasons:
  • Some of the music on the PM stages were aweful, terrible hype music
  • A lot of the sets were decently boring with characters like MK and ROB in PM and Shieks, Foxes, Jiggs ... all characters that were not Captain Falcon in melee
    • Darkrain and Pink Fresh were probably the most exciting for everybody to watch
  • This is out of our control, but during melee, UMVC3 stole a LOT of hype, and a lot of us kept looking over at that main stage
  • Most of us were from chicago, so almost all of us rooted for Oro while my friend and I rooted for Pink Fresh
    • That probably sounds dumb, but it was a bit disappointing when people would react to a play by Oro but remain silent when Pink Fresh would answer right back
Still decently fun, but I would be a bit uneasy about going to a tournament that's not exclusive to smash in the future because there was really divided attention, and watching games got dry at points.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
you want to hold separate tournaments because of divided attention? ....what?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
awesome tourney loved every minute of it will come to combo breaker next year if PM is ran.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
awesome tourney loved every minute of it will come to combo breaker next year if PM is ran.
I think Keits said that this was the last UFGT, but I hope it isn't. As a relative newbie to competitive Melee/Project M and this being my first major tournament, I still had a blast and learned a lot, even if I didn't make it out of pools. I would definitely come back if there was another one next year; please consider it @ CurlyW CurlyW and Keits!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
From my understanding, it was the last UFGT and the last event ran by Keits, but the general TOing staff will be running an event in Chicago to replace it.

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
Rick, who is the third member of the triumvirate who ran UFGTX, will be taking over the job of head TO for the big Chicago tournament next year, to be called Combo Breaker. I will be back as well to handle brackets & bracket-related products.

EDIT: Also if you're waiting for the results to be sent in, I'm going to try to have it done by tonight. The Top 32 bracket for PM and the Top 16 bracket for Melee are completed on Challonge, but I still have to update the pool brackets on Challonge. I have the completed paper brackets back at home, so it's just a matter of replicating the bracket online.

Last edited:

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
you want to hold separate tournaments because of divided attention? ....what?
What do you mean, what? There were tons of tournaments going on, and at some points during melee, very few people in the melee audience cared about melee and looked over at UMVC3 instead.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
What do you mean, what? There were tons of tournaments going on, and at some points during melee, very few people in the melee audience cared about melee and looked over at UMVC3 instead.
So? Why do you care about what others want to watch? The only ones that are forced to watch Melee are the ones that are playing it themselves.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
I went and it was fun, but I was a bit dissapointed for a few reasons:
  • Some of the music on the PM stages were aweful, terrible hype music
  • A lot of the sets were decently boring with characters like MK and ROB in PM and Shieks, Foxes, Jiggs ... all characters that were not Captain Falcon in melee
    • Darkrain and Pink Fresh were probably the most exciting for everybody to watch
  • This is out of our control, but during melee, UMVC3 stole a LOT of hype, and a lot of us kept looking over at that main stage
  • Most of us were from chicago, so almost all of us rooted for Oro while my friend and I rooted for Pink Fresh
    • That probably sounds dumb, but it was a bit disappointing when people would react to a play by Oro but remain silent when Pink Fresh would answer right back
Still decently fun, but I would be a bit uneasy about going to a tournament that's not exclusive to smash in the future because there was really divided attention, and watching games got dry at points.
People root for their favorite, and for Chicago folks Oro was the favorite. Please tell me this doesn't surprise you.

Imagine a Germany vs USA soccer game in the US. Now imagine there are 60 people there, and not 30,000. 58 of the people are rooting for USA and 2 for Germany. Of course the crowd's roars are going to be one sided. This happens in everything.

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
People root for their favorite, and for Chicago folks Oro was the favorite. Please tell me this doesn't surprise you.

Imagine a Germany vs USA soccer game in the US. Now imagine there are 60 people there, and not 30,000. 58 of the people are rooting for USA and 2 for Germany. Of course the crowd's roars are going to be one sided. This happens in everything.
It doesn't really surprise me, but it's not very sportsmanlike or fair at all.

Last edited:

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't really surprise me, but it's not very sportsmanlike or fair at all.
There isn't really anything unsportsmanlike about it. We all cheered when it was over and cheered for K9 afterward. But during the match we cheered for the favorite. If you want people to clap for everything and everyone, try golf. Everyone claps after every sunk putt because it's a snooty game. Haha

Top Bottom