• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two very special moves. (and some thoughts on IC skill)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Alright, so I've been playing a lot of friendlies and trying new things. Here's my two cents on two very little used special moves of the Ice Climbers: up-B and down-B

part 1: BELAY

Pros
- Nana has a LOT invincibility
- Knockback kills floaties at 100+ percents
- DI after the belay can confuse opponents
- you are fairly safe afterwards if it connects, but the percent has to be high enough (sometimes if it is a fast faller, you still won't be safe)
- as long as nana is not in a tumbling animation, you can teleport her to popo for the belay from a good distance. this helps both to save nana for the recovery and sometimes to help nana dodge an attack.. for example, if popo was knocked off and you are trying to recover, sometimes you can save nana from an fsmash by pressing up-B right before she gets hit. this may or may not benefit you, but it's definitely another option
- DID I MENTION NANA HAS INVINCIBILITY?

Cons
- Extreme Lag, you WILL get hit afterwards (possibly to death) if you miss
- Not useful as an attack at low %'s because popo has way too much hangtime when coming down
- smart opponents might wait intil nana is completely on the ground and standing still before they attack because they know about the invincibility frames
- don't belay parallel to the ledge because if you are interrupted by a projectile (like laser or missile) then you might be screwed.
- i consider that fancy belay cancel where popo sweetspots and nana goes up a CON because it frees up nana for DEATH lol.
- even though i listed more pros, the cons are much more prominent.

Right now, I'm going to discuss belay as an attack. I am well aware of its uses as a recovery, and I'm sure most of you do too. But have you ever considered abusing its invincibility for attacking? I remember Gimpyfish saying that one has to look at the strong points of a character and accentuate them with your knowledge of that character's weaknesses... ever since then, I have been freely experimenting with less used moves like Belay, dtilt, blizzard, squall, and nair in friendlies.

Belay is VERY situational as an attack, but finding those situations can be very valuable when you can find no other options to continue a combo. Given, this attack usually doesn't combo after anything, but the fact that Nana is invincible at first makes it very useful for vertical kills at high percents. This attack can make Yoshi Story or Pokemon Stadium even MORE useful for the IC's.

Here are some situational things that matter when trying to attack with this move
- the opponent must be above you, obviously
- you have to have hit the opponent high enough to be able to anticipate his fall
- the opponent must be at a high percent, like 80 or above, depending on the stage
- if the opponent is like 100% or over, you can likely kill on PS or YS
- you must not miss

some cool things to know:
- belay will cancel pretty much anything nana is doing (is there anytime you CAN'T belay besides when nana is tumbling?)
- you can double jump with popo and still teleport nana for the belay, which makes you go VERY high (high enough that popo will gain percentage on the top magnifying glass)
- way more useful against floaties than fast fallers, because it hits them higher and they are less likely to punish
- if you use it right... it is great against peach, luigi, samus! guys... isn't that awesome? and can you find other possibilities?
- unexpected move. obviously. if this move ever becomes a popular option, though (which is unlikely), people might start to adapt and expect it. you see, ice climbers to me have always been a learning process. people evolve and adapt to new moves, which is why i wrote the no-grabs guide. counter picks are always changing because this character isn't used very much. ic's used to **** falco, now the match is even. now, IMO, i'm not struggling with peach nearly as much as i used to. fox is easy, falcon is a breeze, sheik is hard, and samus isn't that hard. times are changing.

so yeah, for now, belay is an unexpected attack! use it while it's still unpredictable!

here is an excellent example of a belay kill, but unfortunately my only one caught on video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uMQ1MCER4BA
skip to the very last KO

part 2: BLIZZARD

Pros
- jump and short hop blizzards shoot in the same direction. this is very important. ground blizzards are useful too if you want the defensive coverage on both sides, but more than likely you will want to do an SH blizzard for more damage and reliability
- stops many, many, many non-projectile approaches
- basically they are holding out a long distance shield in front of them that also damages, and sometimes freezes
- stops people in their tracks
- don't forget bout the high % freeze, if you react fast enough, you can punish hard
- spotdodge/roll desynch blizzards are very useful defensively
- if you are ever doing a continuous desynch, it is interesting both defensively and offensively if you alternate between nana blizzards and various popo attacks (tilts, smashes, ice blocks, tilts, short hop aerials, taunts... belay?) nana's blizzards will cover your front while popo is free to do anything in between
- because of nana's blizzard duration, it is a very easy and effective desynch move for nana

Cons
- sometimes if you mess up a desynch and blizzard will popo, nana will always blizzard behind you afterwards, even if she is already doing a desynched attack. this leaves her open facing the opposite direction (no ice, no ice-shield!) which leaves popo open also
- doesn't stop missiles/lasers/other projectiles
- there is little lag before and afterwards, but overall the move is slow and very punishable (though less punishable than most might think)
- requires precision timing and spacing because if you are too close/too far/too early/too late, it could be bad news
- once again, i listed more pros, but the cons weigh more heavily. it is better to know both and accentuate the pros.

Blizzard is an amazing option I discovered while playing my friend's DK. A lot of you might not know about the DK vs IC's matchup, but DK's fight it by spamming bairs, running away, and charging the giant punch. The giant punch is VERY difficult to avoid, it is safe when it hits your shield, and it hits nana very often. One climber vs DK isn't very pretty...

Unless of course, you spam blizzards ^_^. I discovered this when I realized that DK doesn't have any projectiles. So what if I started using my projectiles? Well ice blocks are too small and don't have much effect on DK since he is already running away and can easily jump over them or dtilt them. So I tried sh blizzards and defensive blizzards, and they stopped him in his tracks EVERY TIME. They even stopped his giant punch when I spaced correctly. Blizzards stopped all his approaches, and I was free to approach with fairs and smashes (the hard this and disjointed hitboxes make them hard for him to punish, and abuse his bad shield.) When I discovered this, I was able to breeze (pun intended!) through the matchup because DK had no options left against me but to run away and TRY to bair me.

Even though giant punches were still very deadly, using blizzards made it much easier for me to get grabs in, especially after Nana blizzards because DK is such a noob at getting away from blizzard chase to grab. His spot dodge sucks and his roll opens him up for more blizzards. He can do pretty much nothing if you just come at him with a running sh blizzard. Remember he has no weapons and projectiles and a bad shield. This means he can GET GRABBED, and get *****.

DK is just one example that shows blizzard's usefulness. Here are other possibilities where I have found it useful:
- Peach vs IC's is all about ground control. IC's are ground based, and Peach's dsmash covers all their approaches... except the blizzard!! short hop blizzards will stop her if she is just camping there and dsmashing! it is free damage! However, it is actually better to approach her with blizzards than camp her with them, because her turnips will go through them.
- Blizzards are very similar to a tap reset when edgeguarding! spot dodge > nana blizzard > turn around wd ff edgehog! very effective edgeguard against people recovering from underneath! if they try to sweetspot, you are edgehogging... if they go over, they will be tap resetted by the blizzard! time this right when you know the person will try to recover. (one time against a falco he was tapped by the blizzard and he fell and didn't upB in time and i edgehogged im! YAYUHZZZ!)
- ever been laser camped by falco? and he's not getting hit by ice blocks? throw yourself at him with a double short hop blizzard. you will get hit by a laser while nana keeps going with ice in front of her. this can set up a grab or smash!
- captain falcon likes to approach with short hop attacks that come straight at you. if you sh blizzard, it may disrupt his approach and possibly set him up for a grab. reverse dair for a 0-death!

discuss belay and blizzard!!

notes from choknater:

These are certainly not all the possibilities, but I hope they have opened your eyes to some uses of less-known moves. They are not combo moves, but it's alright because we already know everything about IC uair combos and grab combos and stuff. They are moves that abuse disjointed hitboxes and invincibility for offensive and defensive purposes.

Once again, my main objective when giving IC's advice is to inspire CREATIVITY. My threads are always the tip of the iceberg when it comes to expanding your IC play. My goal is to help everyone develop that mentality that cookie cutter ice climber strategies are very easy to counter. If you play a regular ice climbers, you will not succeed. A great ice climber player is noted NOT by his ability to wavesmash and chain grab, but by two things:

1. his creativity in his gameplay
2. his ability to play solo popo

let's take a looksee at the good ic's of today:
ChuDat has pioneered this character from the start, and has invented/perfected almost every basic/advanced IC technique that we use today. one person once said "every ic player is an afterthought of chudat" which is true

wobbles likes to infinite, and has worked his gameplay around the infinite. since then, he has morphed into this very technical and risk-taking ic's that is very unique and his combo inventions are off the chain

azn_lep has taken to heart every grab combo in existence and uses them very well. he is a very experienced ic's and has given advice to every ic player on these boards. i like him a lot lol, he is good and helps me out. if it wasn't for him, i wouldn't have taken a round off silentspectre.

as for me, i am known for NOT KNOWING how to wobble correctly, and chain grab poorly, so i make up ridiculous combos and techniques and i have to master my mobility to be able to get those grabs in. i always expect people to escape my CG's and infinite attempts, so i do a couple cg's/wobble hits and then do something else. that's me. that's my ice climbers.

so now i ask you, what makes YOU a good ice climber player?

Discuss.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Ha, the belay is a good attack. Cort has killed me with it a few times.

Now, I would never consider myself a great ICs player, but there is something I've found through experimentation. It's well known, but I still don't see many people do it that often.

Desynced ice blocks **** recovery.

Just being hit by the ice block during recovery catches most people off guard, and their immediate reaction is to go right back into their up-b recovery. This can easily lead to a fsmash/dsmash that can't be teched since they are above the stage.

The key isn't the attack itself, it's the mindgame aspect. Your opponent puts themselves in position to be killed because they panicked and up-b'd at the wrong time. It'll probably only work once a match since they'll be expecting it afterward, but that one KO may be the difference between victory and defeat.

I'm glad that this thread is around, and I'd like to discuss skill in general for a moment.

I've been thinking alot about Smash skill for the last few months, and I've been comparing it to other sports. Every sport requires a certain level of individual skill in order to be successful, be it football, basketball, soccer, etc. But I think the sport that Smash compares the best to is track and field. Both are individual sports, and it is entirely up to the competitor to control his or her own destiny. There are no teammates to fail you or let you down (obviously I'm not including relays or team tournaments in this analysis).

However, this brought up an almost unavoidable conclusion for me: in track and field, there are just some people that are faster than others. Call it better conditioning, more fast-twitch muscle fiber, longer strides, whatever. For most of us, no matter how hard we work, how hard we train and how badly we want it, we will never be able to compete in the Olympic 100 meter dash. It;s nature, we just simply aren't fast enough.

So is the same true for Smash? Is there a point that most players cannot cross? Will M2K, Azen, Chu Dat and the rest always be better than us because we simply cannot "run as fast" as them?

I find this conclusion logical, but hard to accept at the same time. For example, Smash runs at 60 frames per second. PC Chris cannot break that rule. Fox's shine cannot be canceled any faster than the physics of the game allow. So theoretically, we can all train to the point where we can jump cancel our shines just as fast as PC Chris can. Basically, what I'm saying is that the game imposes the same limits on all of us, and we all have to play within the same confines of what is possible and what is not. Some people may be "faster" than others, but there is a speed limit.

Yet we've all seen it: someone picks up a controller for the first time and is better than someone who's been playing since the game came out. That definitely is natural talent. But is this sport like track and field, where we all have a peak and nothing we do will ever get us past it?

I don't think so. I think that, just like any other sport, it doesn't really matter who's bigger, stronger, faster, or even better. It's all about who makes the plays. Think about your favorite sport, and think back to an incredible upset in it. One team may have been bigger, faster, and better in every way, but for that one game, the underdog simply outplayed them. It happens all the time, and that's what makes sports so exciting: the possibility that anything can happen. It's the "Any Given Sunday" effect.

I think that it's important that we Smashers gain an appreciation of the "Any Given Sunday" effect. In any given set on any given day, anything can happen. It doesn't matter which player is better; all that matters is who makes the plays when they need to be made. A waveshine to upsmash is a play, just like a backhand slam. A wobble is a play just like a pick and roll. The winner isn't necessarily the better player- it's the one that executes better. Smash is all about making plays, whether its a ledge-hop double laser or a Ken Combo. It doesn't matter if you can perform every advanced trick in training mode. It only takes one tipper to change the course of a match.

Don't worry about being better than your opponent, or the people around you. Take it one match, one game at a time. Say to yourself, "In this game, I am going to execute my gameplan better than my opponent." You're not saying that you ARE better than your opponent; you're saying that you're going to PLAY better than your opponent. I think that's an important distinction that can lead to good results.

Wow, I hope I didn't ramble too much there!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Jam Stunna: You did.

Don't worry though. It was fun to read.

Also, on Belay:

You can't use belay while Nana is doing an attack. I have tried to Belay while Nana jabs the enemy and I don't get an up+b from it. Sometimes, Nana also de-syncs weirdly, and is in range for an up+b, and is NOT attacking and is NOT tumbling and she STILL won't teleport. So wtf.

I also like using the up+b cancel on the edge because even though it throws Nana out there as bait, it puts her in a spot that makes the enemy choose between her and you. Plus she has a ton of invincibility, so sometimes opponents run into her. I generally belay-cancel on the edge into a ledge waveland because the opponent jumps and gives me the chance for a safe up-air.

As for blizzard, I use this move all the time and it's awesome. It's got the most range and when Nana uses it it's an amazing shield that gives you tons of safety and openings. It's also the only way I know of to keep Luigi from coming in whenever he wants and messing you up bad.

-----

As for skill, my personal style evolved from the way I learned to win. I got good playing against Taj and Forward, and an unknown Arizona player by the simple name of B. All three have incredible spacing and use it to rock most opponents they play. B is incredibly lazy and doesn't ever practice, which is why he doesn't much improve or advance, but his talent and timing are still walls that keep him near the top of Arizona smash.

So I had a choice; I could either learn to space as well as those players so they wouldn't remain untouchable, or I could learn to punish so hard that the few inevitable mistakes they make would cost them an entire stock. I chose the second one.

So now I do ridiculous combos, silly edgeguards, infinite grabs and inescapable chaingrabs, and still have trouble landing them because my spacing is still garbage. A lot of my matches are won because I use silly tricks the opponent doesn't know about, and then kill them from those openings. I use back-throw to ice-block on space animals and they don't tech, which gets me a free grab and infinite. I use roll to blizzard, which traps enemies and gets me a free infinite. I use weird platform cancels and de-synced ice-blocks to trick the opponent into shielding, which gives me grabs--coincidentally, I then infinite them.

I also tend to work very hard on predicting my opponent, which helps me minimize my crappy spacing. Not surprisingly, this lets me get lots of grabs when I bait a dodge or roll. Guess what I do then.

My skill tends to be greater against enemies who have never played me before than against my friends. I also--for whatever reason--tend to play near the level of my opponent. I do about as well against average players as against near pros--against most full pros, I just get rocked like a hurricane.

Not many people know that my SoPo is actually one of the stronger parts of my game. I sometimes get two stocks or more with a single climber, mostly by using odd edgeguards and tech-chases. I also practice a lot of odd movement tricks so I become much harder to hit with a single climber. In fact, a lot of the time I will take a stock while having Nana at high percent and me still at 0.

That's how I see my own game. My weaknesses are a tendency to get very angry at myself for mistakes, and to let single brief segments of a round determine my mentality and, as well as my weak spacing and poor judgment. I also have very shaky hands as a result of a neurological condition, so when I'm nervous this becomes exacerbated greatly, leading to inconsistent technical skill. In fact, some of my friends know that I occasionally miss buttons or the joystick completely when I'm nervous.

My strength is incredible lethality whenever I land a grab or start a combo. If I could overcome my crappy spacing and mercurial temperament, I think I would be significantly better. As it is, I'm kind of stuck in the same rut.

Congratulations. You now know way more about me than you ever wanted to.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Thanks. Oh, and good news folks: I finally got off my *** and made a ledge chaingrab video. It's actually a series of very short videos, and they're all HORRIBLE quality. Like, nearly unwatchable. I was using my laptop's webcam to make a brief video and had no way of changing the video format or quality or resolution, so it's low-res and low length. In fact, you won't even really know what's going on in it. I'll make the thread kind of soon, once youtube processes them.

Edit: Wow. Youtube decided that my videos weren't awesome enough as is, so it quadrupled the speed and you can't tell what the hell is going on. I'll still link to them though, because they look funny.

Reside

Smash Apprentice
one thing you can note on your belay section is when you land from the belay you are desynched.

If you land right near nana (nana lands first) nana can still respond while popo is in his landing animation.

If you land far from nana she will not run toward you untill you actually land, so on her way she wont listen to commands and you can start a desynch.

Just something to mention.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Another thing about blizzard is that even though the grounded variant deals 1/2 dmg, you can desynch from it. the people i play usually back out after getting hit by it, usually dodge-rolling or sheilding. if they roll, you could possibly nanapult if your fingers are fast enough(havent tried this variant yet but i've made nana perform aerials). if that doesnt work, you could just block-chase into a grab. if they sheild, make nana grab and start some chains. if they persist, maybe nana can tilt/smash?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
sorry for the double post. posting from a psp while my roomie is playing wow and my other two roomies are playing halo 3.

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
^ I take it that that's really important?

While making the video compendium for the Ice Climbers, I noticed that ChuDat used the Belay the same way you (chok) did. I can't seem to find it and I'm too lazy to search through to look for it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nice feedback from Jam Stunna and Wobbles, and all of you

Wobbles, that is actually quite a lot of insight on how you play, and it makes a lot of sense. I really hope you can get that spacing down. We seem to be polar opposites... my combos are usually very unreliable, and spacing is pretty much my entire game. I have trained against Peach and Doc players, and I always have trouble approaching fast fallers... and the way my friends play, it is very difficult for me to get grabs. So I rely on spaced moves like dash attacks and well placed smashes, tilts, and blizzards to be able to create those openings.

Funny thing to note: I am better against Peach and Marth than I am against Falco and Sheik. Isn't that silly!? Why, you ask? Because I am not much of a grabber! I am so used to playing against Peach that dsmashes hardly bother me anymore, and the peaches get frustrated because she's supposed to be a counter pick. She is, but I'm just great at the matchup.

Jam Stunna: I think M2K is a prime example of someone reaching that echelon through hard work alone. In the early days of smash, those were the times where the prodigies reigned. Ken, Azen, and Wes were prime examples of players being so naturally good at the game that they dominated for a long time, and Azen still dominates today. He is incredibly talented. However, as for Mew2King... he did start out pretty noob at the game. He was your generic technical fox, but the thing about him was that he REALLY REALLY loved the game, and he put all his time into researching the physics of just about everything. When he finally started THINKING about pro-level play, he was able to achieve it by using his knowledge of the game to his advantage. And now, his Marth has been one of the most influential gimp-fashion playstyles SSBM has ever seen. Marths don't play like Ken these days; it's more acceptable now to be able to gimp a stock as soon as the person is grabbed.

The reason I like Ice Climbers is because even though their potential as a character played to win is limited, their potential as a character played creatively is almost infinite (through desynching.) This is why every IC player is unique and has his own way that he got good. You can't just get good by watching videos of stuff... to play IC's well, you have to REALLY REALLY understand deeply how they move and feel. This is why IC players are rare, but all have that same drive to invent their own techniques.

Thanks for the extra info on belay wobbles. Some attacks can be interrupted, some can't. For example, I couldn't stop a blizzard or a tilt today with a belay... but I COULD stop an upsmash... and because of that, I invented a sweet, situational combo.

Roll toward opponent, hold c-stick up for nana usmash, instant belay. CHOKNATER BELAY COMBO

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Seeing this thread I had to comment because this is a discussion I try to have with every player that I see has a very dominant capability in the game. I have only been playing this game about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years now and I had picked IC's as my main from the start. After 4 months of gaining the skill to perfrom all the advanced techniques to smash and most IC specific techniques.

To relate back to the topic I have found that in SSBM one of the most powerful tools a player can have is the ability of what I call improving but really is just the ability to completely drop the opponents jaw catch them with something they never thought of, This is where the belay and blizzard come in. My crew I practice with had trained me with fox peach and marth obviously all rough matches for the IC's. But I began to Belay people I had comboed to the top of FD, once the Belay connected jaws would drop. I began to blizzard back onto the stage as I ledgehopped blocking all super shots and nasty up smashes.
Overtime with my IC's I gained a very strong capability to change my gameplay, throw wrenchs in other players playstyles and really take advantage of peoples lack of answers to my techniques. I agree with the tier system and that is why I play the IC's people complain about he IC's due to the presence of nana, yet they are still only high tier, good players gimp nana, and I like Solo Popo better anyway even if he is only mario tier level.

To finish this off I was told single IC up-B sucked up until I found it had an insta grab and can ride the wall to the edge on FD from almost half way down, I play a very good solo Popo, I can spike with IC's very well and also make a very nice play out of ice cube chasers to spikes, I chain throw falcons with down throw to nana Up air and no one expects it, I chain throw fox with down throw Sh Ice block and Falco's laser dont hurt me because I WD lightshield them all, I throw cubes at marth and it helps, and finally I chose to fight peach with IC's on Dreamland 64

I am an up and coming IC player as I only have 2 years under my belt about a year of tourny style play. I have developed my own technique called the flick and have high hand speed along with great DI. Overtime I have gained my knowledge and capability to improve quite well with the IC's mainly due to attention to your own current playfield. The more you try the better anwsers you'll find. Thanks to people like Chudat, Chok, Wobbles, and all other IC players I have been quite influenced and you guys are leading to the future of IC players. These players who share their gameplay and knowledge with the community make the IC's become a harder character to fight against overall :p.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
ever since then, I have been freely experimenting with less used moves like Belay, dtilt, blizzard, squall, and nair in friendlies.
One thing that I've I've noticed is that players tend to fear IC Jabs because they lead into a grab, which basically means death or ALOT of damage. I've been doing a lot of Jab -> SHFFL Nairs lately. When you SHFFL a Nair, they tend to Tipper desynch you instead of having both climbers connect, making Nana able to act first. A thought that I've just gotten is SHFFL Nair -> Nana Dtilt -> follow-up. The Dtilt pops them up relatively nicely. Depending on their fall speed, this can lead to a Fair spike for the tech chase or just a simple Uair juggle. I've yet to try this because my Wii is still being repaired but I THINK it may work.

A variant that I HAVE made work a few times though is SHFFL Nair -> Nana Ftilt -> follow-up. at low percentages, this pushes them back a decent distance but still close enough to follow-up. I usually tend to P-block -> n-blizzard to a grab or a Utilt depending on how I feel. You could also Dash attack also the ftilt. Beware of CC though.

It's so hard to make my playstyle viable... D: I don't think it'll work.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
naw, it's not that bad. i think nair is a pretty good move because it's rarely ever cc'd, because once again, no one uses it. also, whenever i use nair, i usually just wait, or dash attack right after... reason being, it usually hits people onto the ground. if they don't tech, or tech in place, dash attack leads to a combo. but it can also give them the chance to tech roll, leaving my dash attack open and the mindgames resume. it's better to extend the combo... but in order to extend combos, sometimes you have to stop. so when i nair, i like to wait, maybe shield wavedash so i can follow their tech/techroll/whatever wakeup they use for another hit or grab. nair -> tilt might work, but you'll need some fast reflexes because the nair can be di'd so that the tilt could miss. if your reflexes are fast enough, then by all means.

to ice ****:
that's very good that you can play ice climbers that way! i hope you continue to develop as an IC... but there's one note i wanna let you know before you keep making up crazy tricks. every ic player has his own bag of tricks, and as always, they can only go so far. always keep in mind that there are the basics (dthrow dair, dthrow smashes, wavesmashes) that make ic's such a good character. the only reason ic players use their own tricks is because their opponents have learned how to escape the basics. but there are times where the basics ALWAYS come in handy and can help you do 0-death combos.

so continue to make your ic's as solid and fluid as possible, and then open up your bag of tricks when need be. good luck

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Used the up b alot more on the recent (GulNer) tournament and it seemed to work quite well, grab to dthrow-usmash to up B against shiek (if I remember correct) got me a KO with like 70 %...

Cornerias right part on the stage, will be working on it more when I get the chance to play against other players.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nice idea smasher, corneria is a sweet stage where i have killed this peach player many times at low % when he tried to camp me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nope sorry mang.

i'm probably not gonna play in tourmanets till brawl

and i'm changing my main to king dedede ^_^

(but i'll still play ice climbers 2nd most!)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm going to Pound 3. It will be righteous.

Also, I'm not going to be an explicit IC main either; I will be changing my name to Meta-Wobbles to reflect this.

Bwahaha.

Binx

Smash Master
LOL traitors, it's ok I think of all the new brawl characters I will still main ICs, Im not sure who to second yet, probably whoever I am most confortable as/is the best character/beats whatever counters ICs in brawl. Maybe starwolf or ROB

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I have to say goodbye to the ICs as well when Brawl hits...it's all about Toon Link now.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I'm dropping all my old mains for...

Oh wait... GaW, IC AND Young Link made it into Brawl? Sweet!

Yeah, I'm sticking with my current mains if they're all as fun as they are in Melee.

Of course. Wario might join the ranks as my Newcomer main.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I'll probably main Olimar, Trainer, and Sonic. It's kind of depressing how all of the Ice Climber developement has been undone in Brawl.

On another note, can someone check if the following works? I busted my Wii but kind of threw this together in my head. I know some part of it must be impossible.

Start with a edge chain-grab. As she f-throws, wavedash backwards to a Nana-Rocket! My hope is that Belay can interrupt the throwing animation, and that Nana will be able to hit them with Belay out of her own throw. Seems unlikely, but sounds nasty.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
My Ice Climbers suck. Here's why.

My best strategy as ICs is sit in my light shield doing nothing. This works against any opponent who isn't spamming range or projectiles. Basically, just shield until they let you shieldgrab. I know this sounds stupid and easy to avoid, but I've been up and down the West Coast using this strategy and unless you're facing one of CA's top 20 or better, it would probably get you a good stock or two. Lots of people don't know how to fight ICs. They won't know why you are just sitting there and they'll consider it an opportunity to attack. Grab death. This absolutely will not work against a good player, but try it out in the beginning of every match or like right after you respawn from your first death and see how it works. Don't be stubborn with it - if it doesn't work begin fighting like normal, but when you do start it be patient, and just sit there until you can be easily shield stabbed (that's a good amount of time if you're lightshielding). If they attack you, shieldgrab, WD grab, or aerial, and if they grab you (Popo) hold the Control Stick down and start mashing C-stick down so which makes Nana D-smash. If they grab Nana, continue holding your shield and as soon as Nana gets thrown away, just grab them. Proceed with techchase to grabdeath.

Don't **** around with dumb neat combos if you are reall determined to win. Wobble if they don't struggle out of grabs, Blizzard + Dtdair if they don't DI, and if they do both start with Dt Dair or double jab reset, then wobble at about 30 or 40%. Always use your best combos that are working against the specific opponent you are playing. Keep tabs on everyone you play so you know their DI/struggling habits. There are players who can't get wobbled at low percents (Silent Spectre/Tang) and other players who always wait for the Dair to DI out (GERM). These are just NorCal examples but they give the point. Find the right grab for your opponent.

My next IC tactic is spacing and randomly attacking. There are times when mindgames are pointless. One of these is when you are playing OTHER PLAYERS WHO DON'T MINDGAME. Don't beat the stone at chess - smash it into bits. If someone is playing a blind-aggressive strategy, fight Feuer mit Feuer. Just do the same, give pressure with quick fast attacks like IASA jabs, f-tilit, Bair, etc., and wait for a combo opportunity. You have the advantage for two reasons. One, you have mindgames to back you up and can predict them better. Second, you have two ****ing characters. If they stop one with say a SHL, the other climber will continue. The most common attacks used like this are Nair and Dash attack, because they give you the most horizontal range while approaching. Dash attack beats spamming Falco, forcing them to jump or roll. Remember that IC that got hit by the laser. Well they now have no lag so follow that jump or roll into the ideal CG. EDIT: This usually won't work if the enemy outranges and/or outpriotizes you.

When these two tactics of mine fail, I know I am facing a good player in which case I know that the entire metagame changes. This happens from the top 40 or so WC players. At this point you can't win with dumb tricks, but 0-death combos still help, and also serve to disorient your opponent. Abuse the hell of your opponents' fears. A good metagame is all about situation. Position and spacing, and the knowledge and ability to apply possibilities which at all times are closing and opening. These are specific instances which you'll have to learn for yourself when the time comes, but these first couple tactics should at least get you to the level where you don't lose to your scrubby friends.

vipercaleb1

Smash Cadet
My Ice Climbers suck. Here's why.

My best strategy as ICs is sit in my light shield doing nothing. This works against any opponent who isn't spamming range or projectiles. Basically, just shield until they let you shieldgrab. I know this sounds stupid and easy to avoid, but I've been up and down the West Coast using this strategy and unless you're facing one of CA's top 20 or better, it would probably get you a good stock or two. Lots of people don't know how to fight ICs. They won't know why you are just sitting there and they'll consider it an opportunity to attack. Grab death. This absolutely will not work against a good player, but try it out in the beginning of every match or like right after you respawn from your first death and see how it works. Don't be stubborn with it - if it doesn't work begin fighting like normal, but when you do start it be patient, and just sit there until you can be easily shield stabbed (that's a good amount of time if you're lightshielding). If they attack you, shieldgrab, WD grab, or aerial, and if they grab you (Popo) hold the Control Stick down and start mashing C-stick down so which makes Nana D-smash. If they grab Nana, continue holding your shield and as soon as Nana gets thrown away, just grab them. Proceed with techchase to grabdeath.

Don't **** around with dumb neat combos if you are reall determined to win. Wobble if they don't struggle out of grabs, Blizzard + Dtdair if they don't DI, and if they do both start with Dt Dair or double jab reset, then wobble at about 30 or 40%. Always use your best combos that are working against the specific opponent you are playing. Keep tabs on everyone you play so you know their DI/struggling habits. There are players who can't get wobbled at low percents (Silent Spectre/Tang) and other players who always wait for the Dair to DI out (GERM). These are just NorCal examples but they give the point. Find the right grab for your opponent.

My next IC tactic is spacing and randomly attacking. There are times when mindgames are pointless. One of these is when you are playing OTHER PLAYERS WHO DON'T MINDGAME. Don't beat the stone at chess - smash it into bits. If someone is playing a blind-aggressive strategy, fight Feuer mit Feuer. Just do the same, give pressure with quick fast attacks like IASA jabs, f-tilit, Bair, etc., and wait for a combo opportunity. You have the advantage for two reasons. One, you have mindgames to back you up and can predict them better. Second, you have two ****ing characters. If they stop one with say a SHL, the other climber will continue. The most common attacks used like this are Nair and Dash attack, because they give you the most horizontal range while approaching. Dash attack beats spamming Falco, forcing them to jump or roll. Remember that IC that got hit by the laser. Well they now have no lag so follow that jump or roll into the ideal CG. EDIT: This usually won't work if the enemy outranges and/or outpriotizes you.

When these two tactics of mine fail, I know I am facing a good player in which case I know that the entire metagame changes. This happens from the top 40 or so WC players. At this point you can't win with dumb tricks, but 0-death combos still help, and also serve to disorient your opponent. Abuse the hell of your opponents' fears. A good metagame is all about situation. Position and spacing, and the knowledge and ability to apply possibilities which at all times are closing and opening. These are specific instances which you'll have to learn for yourself when the time comes, but these first couple tactics should at least get you to the level where you don't lose to your scrubby friends.
Thanks, this helped TONS!!:laugh: thnx!

Top Bottom