• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two new (I think) Link gimps

MykalOfDefiance

Smash Cadet
Okay, first, I was fighting someone, and my boomerang went past them, and I don't know how, but when it came back it carried them all the way across Smashville into the blast zone.

Also, if someone is hanging on to the edge in certain stages (e.g. Battlefield, Smashville), if you do Link's aerial spin attack and hit them with the last strike, it'll make them bounce against the side of the stage and fall to the bottom. Now if only someone could do that and not die in the process...

Rizen

Smash Legend
A more common way to stage spike is run off the stage and Bair. There are many variations to those gimps, phantom boomerang, gale guarding, Bomb/Dair/Nair/Bair stage spike. Keep experimenting for effective ways to pull gimps off. Good job.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
MykalOfDefiance said:
Okay, first, I was fighting someone, and my boomerang went past them, and I don't know how, but when it came back it carried them all the way across Smashville into the blast zone.
Do you have vid proof of this? I'd love to see this one, it sounds so cool.

MykalOfDefiance said:
Also, if someone is hanging on to the edge in certain stages (e.g. Battlefield, Smashville), if you do Link's aerial spin attack and hit them with the last strike, it'll make them bounce against the side of the stage and fall to the bottom. Now if only someone could do that and not die in the process...
I've had the UpB stage spike happen a few times. The most lol one was in a tourney set where the opponent didn't even need to edgeguard me but he did anyways and lost the game :laugh:. Skip to the ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4ifBRE87c

MykalOfDefiance

Smash Cadet
Do you have vid proof of this? I'd love to see this one, it sounds so cool.

No, unfortunately not. :( I don't even know how to record fights.

I've had the UpB stage spike happen a few times. The most lol one was in a tourney set where the opponent didn't even need to edgeguard me but he did anyways and lost the game :laugh:. Skip to the ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4ifBRE87c
That's amazing. Favorited. Five-starred. XDXDXD

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Nothing is particularly new about these, actually. I've been trying to find this one particular video where the boomerang carries a Marth player all the way into the blastzone while he's using his sideB moves, and although for some reason I can't seem to find it, it happened about a year and a half ago.
UpB stagespike is just a revenge killer for anyone who fails to roll back onto the stage in time when they ledgeguard. You actually *can* do it and recover, but Scabe was juuust too far away for it to work.
It's quite common, too. Probably the most common stagespike for Link.

MykalOfDefiance

Smash Cadet
Nothing is particularly new about these, actually. I've been trying to find this one particular video where the boomerang carries a Marth player all the way into the blastzone while he's using his sideB moves, and although for some reason I can't seem to find it, it happened about a year and a half ago.
UpB stagespike is just a revenge killer for anyone who fails to roll back onto the stage in time when they ledgeguard. You actually *can* do it and recover, but Scabe was juuust too far away for it to work.
It's quite common, too. Probably the most common stagespike for Link.
The character I did it on was Marth. So I guess he has to do his foward special while a boomerang is returning for it to work. I was kinda hoping it'd be less situational than that. :/
Oh, and since this post, I actually have got the stage spike and recovered. :D

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Yeah, I wondered if it was the SideB for you.

Certain momentum-changing moves, like SideB, cancel out the normal physics the characters undergo; so moves like Marth's regular B, sideB, Ike's sideB, Jiggz' rollout, Lucas' sideB, all open them up for the boomerang's full physics effects.

Dekar173

Justice Man
It's when Marth goes from in the air > onto a platform/stage during sideB, under NOT normal conditions (example: the platform appears from nowhere, like when Halberd raises up or a new transform on Pictochat appears).

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No Dekar, there's a vid I recorded for a guy where Marth is planted solidly in the floor of FD, trying to do SideB, and the boomerang whisks him off to his death.

Since you can't really jump while in the middle of SideB, and somehow I doubt FD has any floor changes, I think it has more to do with simple physics changes of the move than any outside influence. But that is probably true of a lot of other moves.

That's the vid I'm trying to find.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, I've been on the receiving end of this as Ike. I jumped into the boomerang my opponent had trhown, figuring I'd ride with it back toward him while I charged up side B. I hit him, but the boomerang carried me off the nose of Great Fox in Corneria super fast and upwards (the same angle as the nose of Great Fox) and killed me :/

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
What the-
You're all talking about Link and gimping- but at the same time you're talking about Link NOT being gimped? And furthermore, Link is the one gimping???

You all's crazy.

Also, the spin attack stage spike happens lots of times. If they run out of invinc frames just as Link comes level with the stage on his last swipe of the spin attack, it will stage spike the opponent (rather ferociously, I might add) and Link will then in turn, grab the ledge.

Top Bottom