• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two mid-air jumps?

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I haven't made a thread here in a LONG time, but when this happened I thought, eh, what the hell.

I don't know if this would be classified as a glitch or not, but it's pretty awesome, not to mention extremely useful if you learn how to do it. Anyways, I was playing a match on Battlefield against my friend's Pikachu (I was playing Fox). I had f-tilted him off the stage, and was waiting for him to recover. When he did, his recovery took him right in front of the edge and under the far right platform. Here's a diagram just in case you aren't following.

Anyways, Pikachu flicks on his shield when he notices my approach. However, instead of going straight for Pika, I jumped onto the platform above him, then fell through with a shine. My first shine (the one I fell through the platform with) hit his shield. This is where it gets weird. I jumped out of that shine (note that this is a mid-air jump, considering I fell through the platform and shined whilst airborne), and while holding down fell through the platform once again with another shine, which connected. Now, instead of having to wait for the shine's animation to end, I was granted another mid-air jump, which should not have happened considering you only get one. It was then I jumped out of my second mid-air shine into another, at which point I did have to wait for the animation to end.

I honestly don't know how it happened. Maybe it's because I didn't completely fall through the platform, and the game registered Fox landing on it, hence granting me another mid-air jump, I don't know. Just in case you're confused, here's the order of events.

1. Land on right platform.
2. Fall through platform with shine. Shine hits shield.
3. Jump out of shine, at which point Fox is a tiny bit higher than the platform itself, if not "merged" as I'll call it.
4. I held down and "fell through" the platform once again with another shine. I should not have any more jumps left after this.
5. I mysteriously jump out of my last shine into another. This is where I have no choice but to wait until the shine's animation ends.

I'm sorry for the choppy explanation, but it's the best I could do. Especially since I don't know what the hell happened.

Discuss.

pdk

Smash Lord
doesn't shine have a little bit of initial lift when you're in the air?

FastFox

BRoomer
A tiny bit, yes, as well as it's movement-stopping ability. However this wouldn't have accounted for a whole extra mid-air jump.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
wow strange i dont know how this could have worked. either it registered u as touching the ground when u did the second shine going thru the platform or some other supernatural reason.
this is quite odd

FastFox

BRoomer
I agree. I couldn't recreate it when I got home. Maybe it was just a one-time thing?

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
I agree. I couldn't recreate it when I got home. Maybe it was just a one-time thing?
Then it would certainly be a glitchy something.
I had a one time thing with fox (recorded =) )

Fox -> Runs to edge -> Me flicks control stick -> Fox hanging on the ledge -> Me: wtf??!!?? O_o

A_mArIo

Smash Cadet
Hmmm.....sounds weird. Im tryin that out when I get the chance...
P.S. lol at pikachu and fox....I almost burst out laughing

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I JC shines a lot and this hasn't happened to me. If you, in any way, land on the platform or ground for any amount of time you get your jumps back.

RebellionASG

Smash Cadet
Then it would certainly be a glitchy something.
I had a one time thing with fox (recorded =) )

Fox -> Runs to edge -> Me flicks control stick -> Fox hanging on the ledge -> Me: wtf??!!?? O_o
Ummm what you described there occurs sometimes. its not really a glitch, and i've seen it recreated/done it myself a coupla times. I believe it happens when the character is running toward the edge, turns right before it but not early enough to do the faster-turn animation that occurs at the edge, and their sliding momentum just barely takes them off the edge so that they end up hanging on the ledge. thats what i always figured was the explanation for that... correct me if i'm wrong.

also, in reference to the thread topic, i believe that what probably happened was you went just high enough with the first double jump that you barely, if at all, registered touching the ground. then, due to your holding down on the control stick, you fell through and continued into shine-jc-shine which leaves you with no jumps. Just my opinion though, so we'll see

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
what happened i believe is you landed on the platform. It's more obvious if you use falco, simply shine almost above the platform, I think the shine pushes you up a little and and then you start too fall after that. Once you land on the platform you can do any jump-canceled move out of it and have both jumps too, the thing is it can be done so fast it seems like you simply gain another jump.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The only logical explanation is that you must have tapped the platform on the fall through to get your jump back, imagine if you could time that though, haha Double Platform Shined FTW

Top Bottom