• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnips

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've noticed that I've been back and forth on my opinion of turnips. When I first started, I spammed them because I thought it looked funny (haha, you got owned by a veggie). After that, I used to use them almost never (1-2 per match, if at all, and only as an edgeguard) because of opponents that liked to catch and throw them back at me, reflect, cape, etc. Once I learned how to get around that, I started using them very frequently, as in any moment i could possibly pull one I did. And recently, I reverted back to using them infrequently.. Mostly for the speed increase gained from not always stopping to pull them, and so I don't depend on them too much vs. opponents that won't let me pull them anyway.

What do you guys think? Spam a lot, hardly ever, or something in the middle?

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
i tihnk you should use them sometimes
maybe not spam
but they do help you a lot
kinda like link, he uses every projectile afor his advantage
you should try it
or at least carry one around just in case you need to throw it
my friend usually takes them out every time he can
like link, always using the bombs
you can start combos with turnips
or like my friend does
he throws the turnip and when the opponent blocks it he runs and grabs them
somethin like that
be creative with those turnips
they are life savers

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The amount of veggies you use depends on your matchup and stage area. On small stages, you would do your best to spam at times. On matches like Marth, you have to set the pace in middle: Not too much, but not too little. Really, the best time you would spam is if your opponent is off the field.

Really, it all depends on your matchups, stage, and your taste. I like to keep it in the middle.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Personally I don't think I use them as often as I should. That being said, I prefer playing without using them ridiculously, only if it's a match up where I might need to rely on them more (ie: Marth).

Normally I'd rather rely on my fc's etc and technical to work my Peach and take out turnips to add on to distraction and what I love doing best z-drop into bair's. Everyone who plays me usually says I need to spam more, and I just don't like it to be honest.

But everyone plays differently, I think the one thing I love about playing Peach is that almost everyone who plays her can be creative and have such a distinct style. But yeah I'm pointing out the obvious there XD

shotafan

Smash Cadet
depends on your opponents style of play (and your match-up). For example, againts a good falco you won't be using to many of those (cuz you'll be floating in mid-air most of the time).

LysanderBlack

Smash Apprentice
The amount of veggies you use depends on your matchup and stage area. On small stages, you would do your best to spam at times. On matches like Marth, you have to set the pace in middle: Not too much, but not too little. Really, the best time you would spam is if your opponent is off the field.

Really, it all depends on your matchups, stage, and your taste. I like to keep it in the middle.
I second this to a certain degree.
There are certain characters you should be wary against when it comes to your Turnip-Game;
Mario/Doc
Fox/Falco

Also, it depends on your style. Personally, I love turnips, and I prefer to play a defensive style for a few reasons;
1) I like to force my opponents to make aggressive actions, instead of doing so myself.
2) I like pulling beamswords/Bombs/Stitchfaces. If you aren't using DownB alot, then it lowers the chances of you getting one of these items.
3) I loooove using items of any type, and since I've started playing competatively, I've had to resort to turnips when it comes to items. Also, whenever I end up playing on Mushroomkingdom 2, I like to catch Birdo eggs and use them to attack with.
4) Turnips work as an effective combobreaker against some characters. press Z while you are being combo'd in the air to drop a turnip, and You will see what I mean... you have to be smart about it though.

I'm the type of peach player that will cycle through turnips (DownB, downthrow) in an attempt to fish out an item or stitchface while my opponent is recovering, or falling to their doom.

Top Bottom