• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TSM ZeRo's Complete Tier List

As of September 4th, the final anticipated video of Team SoloMid's Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios, Super Smash Bros for Wii U #1 player, tier list has been released and completed.

Aside from being a strong competitor in the smash scene, TSM ZeRo has been making YouTube content for the past year that provides helpful tips for beginner players, his opinion on controversial topics in smash, tier lists, etc. One popular question that ZeRo gets asked constantly on Twitter is, " ZeRo, what does your tier list consist of this 1.1.6 patch?" ZeRo has an answer for that and has been quite consistent this time around releasing his opinionated tier list videos as of late. Now that the final video has been released, ZeRo's long awaited tier list has finally been completed.

BOTTOM TIER
  • Mii Swordfighter :4miisword: #56
  • Jigglypuff :4jigglypuff: #55
  • Zelda :4zelda: #54
  • Mii Gunner :4miigun: #53
  • Ganondorf :4ganondorf: #52
LOW TIER
  • Mii Brawler :4miibrawl: #51
  • King Dedede :4dedede: #50
  • Bowser Jr. :4bowserjr: #49
  • Little Mac :4littlemac: #48
  • Samus :4samus: #47
  • Link :4link: #46
MID TIER
  • Falco :4falco: #45
  • Roy :4feroy: #44
  • Pac-Man :4pacman: #43
  • Wario :4wario2: #42
  • Wii Fit Trainer :4wiifit: #41
  • Duck Hunt :4duckhunt: #40
  • Palutena :4palutena: #39
  • Ike :4myfriends: #38
  • Mr. Game & Watch :4gaw: #37
  • Kirby :4kirby: #36
  • Charizard :4charizard: #35
  • Dr. Mario :4drmario: #34
UPPER TIER
  • Shulk :4shulk: #33
  • Bowser :4bowser: #32
  • Donkey Kong :4dk: #31
  • Luigi :4luigi: #30
  • R.O.B. :4rob: #29
  • Robin :4robinm: #28
  • Capitan Falcon :4falcon: #27
  • Lucas :4lucas: #26
  • Peach :4peach: #25
  • Yoshi :4yoshi: #24
  • Pit/Dark Pit :4pit::4darkpit: #23
  • Greninja :4greninja: #22
  • Olimar :4olimar: #21
HIGH TIERS
  • Toon Link :4tlink: #20
  • Ness :4ness: #19
  • Megaman :4megaman: #18
  • Pikachu :4pikachu: #17
  • Corrin :4corrin: #16
  • Villager :4villager: #15
  • Meta Knight :4metaknight: #14
TOP TIERS
  • Marth/Lucina :4marth::4lucina: #13
  • Lucario :4lucario: #12
  • Zero Suit Samus :4zss: #11
  • Mewtwo :4mewtwo: #10
  • Bayonetta :4bayonetta: #9
  • Mario :4mario: #8
  • Diddy Kong :4diddy: #7
  • Cloud :4cloud: #6
  • Fox :4fox: #5
  • Sheik :4sheik: #4
  • Ryu :4ryu: #3
  • Sonic :4sonic: #2
  • Rosalina & Luma :rosalina: #1

Now that ZeRo's opinionated tier list has been completed, do you agree with it? Do you think that Rosalina is best character in the game? Please comment down to let us know what you think! Please don't forget to follow him on twitter @TSMZeRo for more updates, subscribe to ZeRo's YouTube channel for more quality content such as his tier lists and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Olalde

Comments

Zero's reasons for why Lucina and Marth are together are wrong to me. Just because you need one for certain matchups does not make them equally viable. That's like someone saying, "Oh well Shiek and Bowser cover each others weakness because Bowser can kill, and Sheik is good in the air and can land well. Both should be in the same Top Tier spot!"
Marth and Lucina are clones, and Shiek and Bowser aren't.

Marth and Lucina are clones, and Shiek and Bowser aren't.
The difference here is that Marth and Lucina are 99% the same character, so i can see where ZeRo is coming from. Comparing it to Shiek and Bowser wouldn't work, since Shiek and Bowser are two completely different characters.
They're clones, but their moves are all different in properties (except for dair). I'm saying that the reason he gave for being in the same spot, because one helps the others weaknesses, is just not right in my eyes. They both help each other in terms of match ups and weaknesses, but that doesn't make them equal. Comparing Sheik and Bowser was probably not a good idea but do you get where I'm coming from?

Last edited:
Parts of these are a little shocking. The diddy placing and ZSS placing did surprise me, but thank god it's not off results, otherwise mario and zss would probably be at the very top.

Parts of these are a little shocking. The diddy placing and ZSS placing did surprise me, but thank god it's not off results, otherwise mario and zss would probably be at the very top.
ZSS has been falling off lately. Yes Nairo did win Smash Con, but he's been a hit or miss ever since patch 1.1.5.. Even Marss was predicted to beat Nairo at Smash Con.

Lucina at top tier boggles the mind. The tipper literally makes all the difference and no other Marth main has ever pulled out a pocket Lucina.

For the most part, I agree with his tier list with a few exceptions. First of all, Lucario should not be as high as he is. In my opinion, he is without a doubt high tier. However, he isn't top 10. His recovery is way too easy to punish at higher percents, and he just doesn't have the ability to approach at percents that HE can kill, considering the opponent AND him have to keep distance. Secondly, Cloud shouldn't be 6th. Yes, it's SUPER rewarding to gimp him, but at the same time, most clouds know how to work around the recovery traps, and if a stage spike is tried... Well... We tech those. Third. Rosalina is definitely top 3, but I wouldn't put her as the best. She dies way too early, and without luma, she drops a full tier. That's really all. My final point is that Marth and Lucina should be different characters. I watched his video, and understand why he put them at the same spot, but the thing is, Marth has an easier time killing, setting up neutral, etc. 90% of people who play this game would argue that Marth is better than Lucina, due to the tipper effect. If you watch this video (sorry for self advertisement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLm19RSOl-w
you'll notice that marth's tipper kills a R.O.B. at center stage, with little rage.

In conclusion, those are just my thoughts, and I hope you agree. If you don't, just reply with what you don't agree on.

This tier list has positives and flaws. Marth and Lucario could be in high tier, though only Marth has a valid case to be in top tier, Lucario is not a top tier character and doesn't have the strong results that Marth has shown since his recent buffing.

Mid-tier is up for debate as always and in truth shifting characters around in Mid-tier is a waste of time. Link has a argument to be in Mid-tier but his spot at the top of Low-tier is a fitting spot, once he has more consistent results he could be shifted up to Mid-tier.

Top-Tier could be shifted around a bit, maybe Zss could be slightly higher but she doesn't deserve to be any lower.

Cloud is tiered to high, he doesn't have a bad match up spread but because of his bad recovery and lack of major finishes he could be put slightly lower, but should not fall out of top ten.

Rosa is not the best character in the game, she has a few losing match ups against some of the other top tier and high tier characters and has yet to win a major. With only Dabuz being the most notable name maining her there is cause for concern about her full worth and potential. Top 3 to top 5 character but is not #1.

Sheik was the best at one point, but with her nerfing and slow decline in strong finishes she could easily fall out of the top 5. Void and Mr. R do continue to solo main her (Yes Mr. R does have a Bayo but he has yet to bring her out for a serious match(yes he did use her in his last match at SSC but it was more as a way to show that he was yielding the match, a lot like ESAM did with Samus at Shine)) and they still have good finishes but that is more showing of the players and not the character.

A character that could be #1 is Bayonetta, Sonic, Ryu, Diddy Kong. All four characters have show good placements, high potential and a fast growing player base. Bayonetta has shown strong finishes in recent months, even with her nerfs she is still a strong character with a lot of upside and can played in a varity of unique ways with her customs combos, with Salam, Pink Fresh and Saj being three big name players who has shown different styles of play and unique ways to wield the Umbra Witch. (She is perfect as she is, there is no need for more nerfs)

Sonic has always been a top tier character and with a great match up spread across the board could argue for best in the game, no character has a perfect spread(besides pre-patch Sheik) but Sonic with smart play can beat out his bad match ups like Rosa.

Ryu has a lot of potential and has had decent results. His argument for best in the game is small but there a case for him to be there.

Diddy held the top spot at one time and now with Zero picking him back up and other Diddy mains finding more ways to play the monkey there is always a chance that he could return to his old throne.

End of the day a tier list is a opinion based matter that will never be perfect and is nothing more than a reference tool. To take Zero's, BR4 or the hobo down the street's opinion as law is completely up to you. I say Bayo is the best in the game, both as someone who plays her and someone who has watched some of her strong finishes lately. The meta for this game is still evolving and even if there is another patch put out or never again, this tier list could and will be different 6 months from now.

Last edited:
Wait a minute... Why are Mii Fighters on the bottom of the Tier List..?
Because no one plays them, and since they are now only allowed to be 1.1.1.1 none of the Miis are worth anything. They are not competitively usefully characters and there is someone else that plays like their style in the cast that are better. Miis are for fun characters only and even FG thinks so.

Because no one plays them, and since they are now only allowed to be 1.1.1.1 none of the Miis are worth anything. They are not competitively usefully characters and there is someone else that plays like their style in the cast that are better. Miis are for fun characters only and even FG thinks so.
I see. I thought it'll be weird since Miis can literally be anyone, and that they're not playable online. I honestly think it would make sense to remove Mii Fighters from the Tier List considering you can make the Mii anything you want, OP or weak.

I think that Captain Falcons Tier placment is a bit over rated, which is funny because I main Captain Falcon, but it has nothing to do with me being good or bad with him.

this tier list DOES get some things right, and I do say his reasoning on Lucina and Marth have changed my perspective on them.

From a standpoint of which characters will tend to have an easier time in competitive play this is generally a good list.

However I am that guy who's personal list is a single tier that is 58 characters. That is ladled "Viable" or simply "Good". Because every character is actually pretty good in this game regardless of what the current meta says.

I accept the incoming flame grilling for the above comment.

Tbh this is quite damn terrible.

Am also wondering why Ike is so low all of a sudden...

ALSO LOL LUCINA... :facepalm:

Tier positions are okay, but the individual placements? Terrible

Boring.

I'll stick with an actual Smash game, thank you very much.
:)

you don't believe yourself right?

How lol.
It's just a tier list of a good player
there is no way to be a good palyer at smash4, even tournaments and champ title doesn't count.
the last update/patch is not even one year old, smash4 is just a newborn game...everyone is good until a meta really exists and makes its way upon the time.

Last edited:
ZSS has been falling off lately. Yes Nairo did win Smash Con, but he's been a hit or miss ever since patch 1.1.5.. Even Marss was predicted to beat Nairo at Smash Con.
Anyone who is higher seed than someone at an event is projected to beat them (for that example I was 9th seed and he was 8th so it will put him > me) that's normal if you are looking at a projected bracket.

also if Im hit or miss then there are definitely many other players in that category too

Last edited:
From a standpoint of which characters will tend to have an easier time in competitive play this is generally a good list.

However I am that guy who's personal list is a single tier that is 58 characters. That is ladled "Viable" or simply "Good". Because every character is actually pretty good in this game regardless of what the current meta says.

I accept the incoming flame grilling for the above comment.
I see you're not a low-tier main.

Anyone who is higher seed than someone at an event is projected to beat them (for that example I was 9th seed and he was 8th so it will put him > me) that's normal if you are looking at a projected bracket.

also if Im hit or miss then there are definitely many other players in that category too
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you, I just meant that I either see you getting really high at top 8, or I don't see you at all, and you get top 24, but I'm guessing that's because of streaming. When I think of you though I think of top 3 so you either get that or you don't get top 8. I guess it's how highly I think of you as a smash player and how good you are. I know about seeding but Marss was seeded to go higher than you so that was a bit suprising to me. A real hit or miss to me would be Esam in my opinion (sorry Esam). I guess I should've worded my statements differently.

FINALLY someone with common sense!! I dislike ZeRo a lot but this is the first time I can agree with him on something! I've said it since the very beginning: Rosalina is obviously the best character in the game, not by too much advantage, but #1 nonetheless!

I might not fully agree with the tier list, and Zero can have some wacky ideas it seems like sometimes but I find it comical how alot of people who probably couldn't place top 8 in even their local scene pretend to know better than the most decorated smash 4 tournament player.

I'm just wondering this but do we all agree Shulk is not better than Ike and Ike should be in Upper Tier? Not a secret Ike main just saying.

Last edited:
Ryu over Sheik !!!?
ZsS 11th !!!?
Diddy not top 5 !!!?
Rosalina 1st !!!?
HELL NO!!

Ryu is waaaay to high
ZsS is waaaay to low
Diddy is easily in top 5 or even top 3
No way Rosalina is the best character, top 5 maybe but the best !!?

Its just his opinion...but his opinion is wrong at xD

Falling off...even tho she has been present in most major Tournament's top 8...
Hell there were 2 ZsS in top 16 at evo: 13th and 9th, thats not bad at all.

In terms of result she is easily top 6~8, 11th is just to low for a character with that many good results

Last edited:
holy crap lucina went from low/bottom to top 10. Unless zero had her higher on his original tier lists, this is just absurd. I enjoy using her, and willingly want to main her over Marth(though I'll respect and admit Marth is better). Even still, I don't think she belongs here 0_o. Might as well put ganon in top 20 with this placement

Falling off...even tho she has been present in most major Tournament's top 8...
Hell there were 2 ZsS in top 16 at evo: 13th and 9th, thats not bad at all.

In terms of result she is easily top 6~8, 11th is just to low for a character with that many good results
The only one I can think of Summer wise is Low Tier City and Smash Con. Results wise I would probably put her below Bayo, Rosa, Shiek, Sonic, Mario, Diddy, Cloud, and maybe Mewtwo.

Glad to see more top players aknowledge Marth and Lucina as the same character! Thanks ZeRo
-The Marcina community

The only one I can think of Summer wise is Low Tier City and Smash Con. Results wise I would probably put her below Bayo, Rosa, Shiek, Sonic, Mario, Diddy, Cloud, and maybe Mewtwo.
Bayo, Cloud and Mewtwo dont have better results than ZsS wtf ._.

Bayo is being overrated cuz what Salem did on a very small Tournament...thats it.
On top level (Nationals and Majors) both She and Cloud disappears and ZsS is still a consistent character so results wise...Bayonetta is probably 10th at best and Cloud like 7th or 8th

Bayo, Cloud and Mewtwo dont have better results than ZsS wtf ._.

Bayo is being overrated cuz what Salem did on a very small Tournament...thats it.
On top level (Nationals and Majors) both She and Cloud disappears and ZsS is still a consistent character so results wise...Bayonetta is probably 10th at best and Cloud like 7th or 8th
Mewtwo has better results with Abadango Nairo after getting top 8 3 times in CEO, EVO and Smash Con. Nairo won Smash Con and got very far at the other tournaments but not top 8. Not completely true with Cloud either. Tweek has beaten Nairo more times, and M2K has been doing very good as of lately but not as good as Nairo I guess. Also, Anti won EVO with Cloud. Bayonetta Saj and Pink Fresh as well not just Salem but he did 3-0 Nairo. I'm not going to act like Marss isn't here and isn't also amazing (he almost got top 8 at EVO) but it's the same thing as Nairo. Although ZSS has better results than Bayo and maybe Cloud, that doesn't mean she's necessarily better. Besides Ryu, she also has the least representation out of all the top tiers.

Last edited:
Mewtwo has better results with Abadango Nairo after getting top 8 3 times in CEO, EVO and Smash Con. Nairo won Smash Con and got very far at the other tournaments but not top 8. Not completely true with Cloud either. Tweek has beaten Nairo more times, and M2K has been doing very good as of lately but not as good as Nairo I guess. Also, Anti won EVO with Cloud. Bayonetta Saj and Pink Fresh as well not just Salem but he did 3-0 Nairo. I'm not going to act like Marss isn't here and isn't also amazing (he almost got top 8 at EVO) but it's the same thing as Nairo. Although ZSS has better results than Bayo and maybe Cloud, that doesn't mean she's necessarily better. Besides Ryu, she also has the least representation out of all the top tiers.
Just wanna correct that Im like 7-3 or so with tweek my favor haha! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom