• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying To secondarize Kirby... Tips?

B_Smash07

Smash Apprentice
I main mario, third samus, and wanna switch my second to kirby to compliment my link user friend. Since i cant seem to use my Doc style for kirby, any1 got any tips? like combos, stratagies, etc? o and advanced vods help too.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
So you're doing it for teams?

Just stay evasive and be a life hoarder. Get in your pot shots when you can. Let Link knock them off the stage and you edgeguard.

Basically if you can keep your opponent occupied while Link fights his while sneaking in pot shots on his opponent and helping him to recover you'll do great. Use d-throw more than usual because it sets up better for team combos and you can techchase. Always be ready to swallowcide.

Once I was off the edge and Ganon was getting ready to reverse u-air me and my partner, Kirby, b-aired his Ganon (It was Joe Bushman and Anuj as "Team Double Samus" that was actually double Ganon.) ran across the stage and SH a swallowcide and ate him mid attack just before I got hit and his momentum carried him off the stage for a perfect swallowcide. I protected the edge while he recovered. You should have heard the scream the Ganon let out when he was eaten. It sounded like someone stabbed him.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If you're going to be using Kirby paired up with Link, your main goal should be to let Link do most of the fighting and, odd as it sounds for Kirby, try to life tank as much as you can. Your main job is to keep Link alive by interferring with other characters who would otherwise combo or gimp Link.

Seeing as Link likes to keep his feet firmly planted when edge-guarding, get on that ledge and take Edge Hog initiative. Drop off and ward off recovery with b-airs and have Link Edge-Protect you (keeping the second opponent away from the ledge).

Keep low to the ground and evasive. If you're mindful of your partner, Kirby will be very unlikely to ever KO Link should one of your attacks go awry. And - unless you get knocked into d-airs, F-smashes, etc - Link won't be likely to hit Kirby with anything dangerous. This will give him more room to breathe and take offensive position. Use d-tilt and f-tilt to either knock opponents off the ledge or toward Link where he can catch them with something more effective.

You can use this crouching tactic in various ways. Crouching next to Link as an opponent tries to recover should allow you to sneak in a d-tilt at the same time Link uses Spin Attack making for an awesome team Edge Guard. Ducking under his hookshot, arrows, bombs, and boomarang give Kirby cover as he approaches.

Link recovers slowly, and can do a good job at stalling with bombs and hookshots. Keep your eyes open for his return and clear the edges for him. If that's risky, you can always jump out and attack him (he should be aware of this ahead of time, seeing as he's partnering with Kirby) - use Copy, or even n-air -> wall-tech, and other attacks as the situation calls to give him a second chance should he fall short in his recovery.

Kirby's horizontal recovery is next to worthless without his jumps. Link can help out by throwing bombs for you to hit, sending Kirby up and allowing DI toward the stage as well as another chance at Final Cutter.

Top Bottom