• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to get into the Pokemon TCG, any tips?

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I want to start playing the Pokemon TCG, but I'm not entirely sure where to start in regards to deck building. I have a few questions about the game and about deck building. I played Magic for several years, so feel free to use TCG jargon if you want.

1. Are there different formats like in Magic? From what I understand there is a "standard" format using the most recent sets of cards, but is there also a "legacy" format that uses all released cards? Are the old wizards of the coast cards still legal to use?

2. How much do top tier cards cost?

3. Do "staples" exist in this game? Browsing briefly through some deck lists, it seems like almost every deck has some variation of Cheren, Professor Juniper, Ultra Ball, Switch, etc. Are these staples more or less uniform throughout every deck or is there significant variation?

4. Is there a "color wheel"? From my brief experience with the game, certain types of Pokemon seem to exhibit certain characteristics. I noticed the fire types seem to have the highest damage output, but usually have to discard energies to do so. Do type-specific traits exist for all types of Pokemon?

5. Does the game get old quickly? I know the game is simple and designed for kids, but it is still fun to play. I get the feeling that the game comes down to who gets their "tutor" cards first to set up their strongest Pokemon. I guess I'm asking if there are a lot of viable and unique decks, or a few top tier ones that everyone uses.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There is no legacy format because there are some old accidents that are broke as hell and make it completely unplayable.

Top tier cards are expensive until after worlds, where you can buy the top 3 decks from a pack for $80. After that all the cards are cheap since you can get basically all the top tier cards from that year for super cheap.

Yeah those staple cards are staples. Hypnotoxic lazer is pretty omnipresent too

There used to be a color wheel but it's been so long that the whole thing has been jumbled up. There were decks back in the day that didn't use a single dark card that basically function like Sableye now. If it wasn't for old cards being cycled out you could play any type of style with any card type, basically.

There's probably like 10-15 usable deck types, maybe 3-5 that are usable at top level play (plasma, darkrai, blastoise, maaaaybe big basics or eelectross. I feel like I'm forgetting a deck type that's good right now but w/e). It can come down to who gets the better draws to get **** set up first but stuff like crushing/enhanced hammer can put your opponent back and put you back in the advantage. It's about as draw reliant as any other tcg. If you're not playing at top level there's enough variety, but top level you see a loooooooooooooot of plasma and darkrai decks

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I found this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unlimited_format_(TCG)
Does anyone actually play Unlimited or am I wasting my time trying to make a deck for that format?

I really don't like TCGs that don't have a strong "legacy" following because it means you basically have to drop $150 for a new deck every few months.

Another thing, what is the typical pokemon/trainer/energy split? I've been messing around with the Pokemon TCG online program and I'm using roughly a 20/20/20 for now. I scraped together a fire/fighting deck using heavy energy accel and focusing on Conkeldurr and Blaziken to sweep.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nobody plays unlimited

Pokemon cards take like 3 years to rotate out. If your deck doesn't get countered or outclassed by a new release, you're not buying every couple months just to stay in the game.

Decks are like 10-15/30-40/10-15 Pokemon/Trainer/Energy. Evolution based decks are going to have more mons, and EX decks are generally going to have more energy. Trainers are basically fit as many as possible without strangling your mon or energy count.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
That's interesting, I thought you'd want to minimize trainers to make room for Pokemon and energy. I played primarily big green in Magic so I like big creatures and lots of lands. Fire type seems to fit that playstyle for me. Maybe the way you need to play the game with the crappy starter decks they give you threw me off. With those decks I never seem to have enough energy for what I want to do, I always have too many trainers or supporters, and I am always flooded with basic pokemon.

I can see how having the majority of your decks being trainers is a good thing. Depending on the number of draw cards, energy accel, and tutors in your deck, you could probably set up a very threatening Pokemon very quickly. Is there a go-to site for the Pokemon TCG community? It would be interesting to poke around there to learn more about the game.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Iunno I follow this stuff by watching matches and videos but don't really participate, so I don't know a good community for the tcg

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I havent played the tcg in forever, but i distinctly remember building a Wigglytuff 'do the wave' deck and it was nearly unstoppable. Also, we always adapted some house rules because we took pkmn tcg a little less seriously or strictly as mtg. We disregarded the same-trainer evolution rule. For example, we were perfectly ok if you wanted to evolve koga's koffing into a regular weezing, or dark weezing for that matter.

Edit: sorry I'm not qualified to comment on the current meta-game lol but as far as I remember it was generally better to focus on building a deck of the same color unless a really pertinent strategy required multi-color. Nothing worse than contantly drawing the wrong energy or having to waste card spots on energy searches. Is this accurate for the 'professional' players or am off base on that?

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Check the thread post dates before bumping a thread by responding to the questions the OP poses, please. I'm pretty sure they've either figured it out or stopped caring by now.
I noticed the date it was posted only after I posted my comment. Sorry. :nervous:

Top Bottom