• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to decide my main(s)

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
After a while of thinking about who I want to main I have thought about 4 potential choices, but I'm trying to skim it down to just a main and a secondary.
I've been trying to decide what pairs would work well and who should be my main and who should be my secondary.
I play a more offensive style, trying to get damage in while also making sure I will be okay approaching. So I'd say I also do a lot of "hit and run". I also have a tendency to move towards the lesser used characters for some reason.
The characters I'm deciding between are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf and Falcon.
If any of you could help me decide, that would be great. Thanks for all the help! :kirby:

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
I'm assuming your sig includes the 4 choices you have. Glad to know that you put your foot down on that whole fox issue.

To be honest, I think you should pick up Falcon. Falcon is fast, and all about offense. He is blessed with the longest dashadance in the game, and has a good ledgehop/stall and techchase game.

If you are interested in falcon, www.twitch.tv/20GX is the place for you lol.

Falcon is fun to watch, so give him a try.

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
I'm assuming your sig includes the 4 choices you have. Glad to know that you put your foot down on that whole fox issue.

To be honest, I think you should pick up Falcon. Falcon is fast, and all about offense. He is blessed with the longest dashadance in the game, and has a good ledgehop/stall and techchase game.

Yeah I was originally a Falcon, but was having troubles and dropped him so I already have experience with him too. Since I know Bizzarro_Flame (I make his emotes on twitch and such), he told me that I should try Ganondorf. I'm thinking either Falcon and Ganon or Ganon and Pikachu. And yeah Fox just wasnt working out for me (even though he was fun). Couldn't get his tech down

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Some of the members on here believe that falcon is really a dedicated main, and shouldn't really have a secondary (mostly because if he's your main, any other character above him on the tier list has a better match up against the other characters on the tier list anyway).

Not deterring you from falcon, but if you want a secondary, I wouldn't main captain falcon. I suppose he makes a good secondary though. Mango likes falcon for the IC's and falcon match ups. Realistically, Falcon is best against IC's and Peach, he's even against marth and jiggs (and of course, other falcons), but disadvantaged (according to most people), against fox, falco, and shiek. So if you have a main that covers fox/falco/shiek well, you could have a falcon secondary for the other 5 characters. Couldn't tell you about the other options though. Don't know enough about the game.

I will say, it helps to learn the game through a single lense. I'd highly recommend picking one character first, learning how melee works through that character, and then maybe looking into a secondary.

ShadowzVoid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadowzVoid
Some of the members on here believe that falcon is really a dedicated main, and shouldn't really have a secondary (mostly because if he's your main, any other character above him on the tier list has a better match up against the other characters on the tier list anyway).

Not deterring you from falcon, but if you want a secondary, I wouldn't main captain falcon. I suppose he makes a good secondary though. Mango likes falcon for the IC's and falcon match ups. Realistically, Falcon is best against IC's and Peach, he's even against marth and jiggs (and of course, other falcons), but disadvantaged (according to most people), against fox, falco, and shiek. So if you have a main that covers fox/falco/shiek well, you could have a falcon secondary for the other 5 characters. Couldn't tell you about the other options though. Don't know enough about the game.

I will say, it helps to learn the game through a single lense. I'd highly recommend picking one character first, learning how melee works through that character, and then maybe looking into a secondary.
Well the reason I was saying Ganon and Falcon is because they are very similar and it seems that (from what I've seen) most Falcons have a Ganon and most Ganons have a Falcon. It's just how I choose who I actually want to focus on. I'm still having trouble deciding that.

Falcon is a simple character to learn, but he's difficult because of his bad matchups. Fox, Falco, and Sheik will give you a lot of trouble. The thing about him is that his priority is really weak, meaning you'll lose most of your challenges against another character's attacks. You've got to run around a lot and find those small openings for your attacks and you'll need to be able to combo off of those hits well. That's kind of the way this character is played, relatively more than other characters in the game

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Falcon is a simple character to learn, but he's difficult because of his bad matchups. Fox, Falco, and Sheik will give you a lot of trouble. The thing about him is that his priority is really weak, meaning you'll lose most of your challenges against another character's attacks. You've got to run around a lot and find those small openings for your attacks and you'll need to be able to combo off of those hits well. That's kind of the way this character is played, relatively more than other characters in the game
This is why movement is one of the most important things to practice with Falcon. He is the fastest character in the game and has the best movement options (decent WD, can moonwalk and stickywalk, has the longest DD, etc), so you can get in your opponent's head, learn their habits, adapt, then outmanouver them to start a combo. Falcon is easily comboed and gimped, but he can also combo and punish extremely well if played correctly. Falcon only has three horrible MUs, but they are unfortunately three of the most commonly played characters.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would play Puff and have Falcon as a secondary. Puff has very few bad matchups and while shes kinda boring, she is good for winning. Falcon has a lot of bad matchups but he is lots of fun, and is great for messing around with.

With these 2 characters you could both see good tournament success while also having fun and not alienating your friends.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman

I agree. Not only is he fun to watch, but really fun to play. I've never had such fun L-Canceling :p

Top Bottom