• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trump's Travel Ban Lifted; Mr. R, Others Can Enter US Again

On Friday, Jan 27th, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order changing America's immigration policy. The order prevents immigration from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen for 90 days, suspends all refugee admission for 120 days.

During the suspension, the vetting process for refugees was under review and potentially under reform. Team Elevate's newly signed Super Smash Bros. for Wii U player, Ramin "Mr. R" Delshad, has already expressed his concerns about traveling to the U.S. for events:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Mr. R currently lives in the Netherlands but he is of Iranian descent. Seeking an answer that could guide his Smash career plans, he reached out to the U.S. Embassy and received the following email:

This put a temporary halt to Mr. R's plans to travel to the U.S. to train and compete leading up to EVO 2017. In addition, Mr. R would have missed out on four events on the 2GG Championship Series Circuit. This would put him at a huge deficit on his shot at making the championship finale in December.

The order does not affect American citizens with dual citizenship in one of the seven nations. Eager on finding a clear answer, Mr. R looked into information regarding dual citizenship:

An article posted by CNN Politics explains that persons holding dual citizenship with any of the seven aforementioned nations are also not permitted to enter the U.S. during this 90 day period.

“Travelers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or non-immigrant visa,” a State Department official said. “Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or non-immigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period. Visa interviews will generally not be scheduled for nationals of these countries during this period.”

It seems that Mr. R, as well as any others with exclusive or dual citizenship in the seven nations mentioned in the order, will not be allowed to attend American events for the next 90 days. To continue his Smash career, Mr. R has made the decision to travel to Japan to prove that the ban will not affect is passion and desire to play.

However, as of Feb 4th, The U.S. State Department will allow people with valid visas into the United States, a department official said on Saturday. This is being done in order to comply with an opinion from a federal judge in Seattle which bars President Donald Trump's executive action.

"We have reversed the provisional revocation of visas," the State Department official said in a statement. "Those individuals with visas that were not physically canceled may now travel if the visa is otherwise valid."

Many people and organizations in the Smash community are excited and relived that Mr. R can travel back to the United States to compete this spring and summer.

Team Note: We at Smashboards wish Mr. R, as well as other players in the FGC across the globe, well in their futures. In tumultuous times such as these, we can still stand united as a community. Stayed tuned to Smashboards.

Josh Olalde

Comments

the festival of the penis you do know about it its so weird only in Japan
only in Japan
ps that is an actual holiday smashboards plz don't ban me or something like that

Last edited:
oh then why do I hear so much. Should I also mention the fact that I can own an r34 in Japan as well you know we're hindered by a 25 year rule on imported cars

D
By banning muslims he publically stated to the global community that America has an anti-muslim agenda. This fuels hatred and radicals wanting to kill us. Had he just done vetting without making a fool of us with ****ing useless bans then we wouldn't have a problem of war.

Trump is literally fuel for radical islamic terrorism. By electing him you've almost ensured there will be more war. Discriminating against muslims is just going to keep fueling this war.
As pointed out in Paul Joseph Watson's video , it wasn't a "muslim" ban. It's a ban towards terrorism-linked countries. Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nigeria have not been banned. Why? Because those countries don't have a history of exporting terrorism. Also, why is it that people only care about a ban towards countries for the sake of security when it's Trump doing it? If you saw the video, you'd know Obama did the exact same thing towards Iran for 6 months, as opposed to Trump's originally intended 3 month ban. Hell, the Obama administration made the list. Again, if you saw the video, you'd know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
if I remember correctly Obama restricted travel but didn't ban kind of like Syria before trump and right now but many of the countries that weren't banned in the area had terrorists but trump does major business there and only Syria of the few banned counties had a major terrorist group against America the rest yes had terrorist groups but on very minor scale not any that is a major threat and every country has at least one terrorist group even the US. Someone should really turn replies off because this whole conversation is turning into a flame war im out.

D
if I remember correctly Obama restricted travel but didn't ban kind of like Syria before trump and right now but many of the countries that weren't banned in the area had terrorists but trump does major business there and only Syria of the few banned counties had a major terrorist group against America the rest yes had terrorist groups but on very minor scale not any that is a major threat and every country has at least one terrorist group even the US. Someone should really turn replies off because this whole conversation is turning into a flame war im out.
Well Trump has already cut all ties to his company, it's in the hands of his sons, Don and Eric now. And again, they are considering adding more countries to the list. And yeah, I think these topics should be kept in the Debate Hall, so someone might as well turn replies off, I'm fine with that.

As pointed out in Paul Joseph Watson's video , it wasn't a "muslim" ban. It's a ban towards terrorism-linked countries. Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nigeria have not been banned. Why? Because those countries don't have a history of exporting terrorism. Also, why is it that people only care about a ban towards countries for the sake of security when it's Trump doing it? If you saw the video, you'd know Obama did the exact same thing towards Iran for 6 months, as opposed to Trump's originally intended 3 month ban. Hell, the Obama administration made the list. Again, if you saw the video, you'd know that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

The obama administration did not "make that list", the former US President did not sign an executive order that used that list of countries in anyway. The US congress at that time....

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-114hr2029enr/pdf/BILLS-114hr2029enr.pdf

Obama did not ban iranians, that was jimmy carter. You really don't know what you're talking about do you?

Well Trump has already cut all ties to his company, it's in the hands of his sons, Don and Eric now. And again, they are considering adding more countries to the list. And yeah, I think these topics should be kept in the Debate Hall, so someone might as well turn replies off, I'm fine with that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_trust

"In order for a blind trust to be a QBT, the trustee must not be affiliated with, associated with, related to, or subject to the control or influence of the government official."

Trump has ethical violations. The courts are too slow to pick up on all of his illegal behavior and hold him accountable.

Last edited:
D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

The obama administration did not "make that list", the former US President did not sign an executive order that used that list of countries in anyway. The US congress at that time....

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-114hr2029enr/pdf/BILLS-114hr2029enr.pdf

Obama did not ban iranians, that was jimmy carter. You really don't know what you're talking about do you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_trust

"In order for a blind trust to be a QBT, the trustee must not be affiliated with, associated with, related to, or subject to the control or influence of the government official."

Trump has ethical violations. The courts are too slow to pick up on all of his illegal behavior and hold him accountable.
Meant to say Iraq, messed up. And I found out that the countries were listed by the DOHS rather than the Obama administration, and that Iraqis had their travel to the US made more difficult as opposed to a complete ban. I admit, I was wrong.

Top Bottom