• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Techiniques

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Egh, So I am having issues jab canceling. Like I always do the third jab jab even though i only hit the button twice, why? Sometimes the jab cancel -> spin works, but i am having issues doing the other combos.

So when I want to do the dash>cdownstick>upz, is there an easier way to do that, or do i really just have to hit up z RIGHT after i do the cstick dash attack?

Like I am having problems hitting Ness and Lucas with the Zair, they just seem very small and impossible to hit, maybe i am just jumping wrong, i dunno.

Also, a character list which shows who can tether gimp rather well might be useful, that is common sense though.

What is a FHDA?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Link's z-air is better against bigger or taller characters like DK and Marth. It is also good against characters and people that like to shorthop, approach with aerials, and just like staying in the air, like Jiggs, and more Marth.

Ness and Lucas just grab and spam a lot, and they're smaller, so Z-air wouldn't work as efficiently on them. You're probably using z-air as soon as you jump, so it goes over them. Try waiting a bit first.

FHDA is Full Hop Double Arrow (cancel?) which is pretty much a good spamming technique for Link to make it hard to approach.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Yeah, on a FHDA the second arrow will be canceled; if done properly. Otherwise you'll just do a normal slow arrow on the ground after a full hopped arrow. This timing is tricky to get down. I use the arrow cancel, but I generally don't tend to use FHDA.

D

Deleted member

i've heard that the kara cancel is easier if you set Z to attack instead of grab

to get the timing down wait for link to lunge forward and then press up B, the closer you do it to the start of the lunge the farther you go

Deva

Smash Lord
Egh, So I am having issues jab canceling. Like I always do the third jab jab even though i only hit the button twice, why? Sometimes the jab cancel -> spin works, but i am having issues doing the other combos.

So when I want to do the dash>cdownstick>upz, is there an easier way to do that, or do i really just have to hit up z RIGHT after i do the cstick dash attack?

Like I am having problems hitting Ness and Lucas with the Zair, they just seem very small and impossible to hit, maybe i am just jumping wrong, i dunno.

Also, a character list which shows who can tether gimp rather well might be useful, that is common sense though.

What is a FHDA?

Alright, there were a few technical issues in Izaw's vid. That wasn't jab cancelling. You can't do it the same way in melee where you just attack with a d-smash or spin attack out of a jab. Instead, you actually have to cancel the jab. After you jab or jab twice, press down and a little behind you. You will then cc the jab and be able to jab even quicker between jabs. This is really great for extending damage on the jab lock too. I'm pretty sure you can also cancel it into any attack so any of the ones you mentioned. And yeah, just wait a second before launching the zair to hit Lucas or ness.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks, I had some success today versus those too, but I had to ease up on the zair to start winning again. jab jab spin is keke. I love doing that now, like i hardly ever use the spin in brawl since it doesn't spike, but now it has purpose.

Top Bottom