• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Sonic's instant edge guarding...

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
I find it's tough, I watched LuCKy's videos (and they were really good ^^) but I can't just seem to master that instant edge guard let alone how to pull it off with out rocketing off the edge.

Can anyone fill me in on some usefull way(s) I can pull this off? :3

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
It's tough. It seems some people can nail it without a problem. I tend to do it in training mode for like 20 mins every couple days and start to get it down but than the next time I play it's like my hands go all ******** and can't nail it everytime anymore. It's sad.

Umby

Smash Master
If all else fails, I think either Izzy or TwinkleToes suggested turning tap jump off and just holding diagonal up and back toward the stage.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Would have been Izzy, the only thing I say to people is don't bother with the "hadoken" method. Just hit down right after you run off the stage. If you fast-fall soon enough you'll grab the edge.

Kiro13

Smash Cadet
Yea I use Twinkle Toes method it just kinda makes it easier for me to just short hop backwards off the stage and go for the edge.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Er, that's not what I'm talking about. If you're short hopping you're wasting time. Also, there's no need to do it backwards since you can grab ledges even if you're not facing them.

Kiro13

Smash Cadet
Sorry if I misunderstood but I meant the way I play because I tend to wait at the edges and I always have my back turn so I can easily do sonics Back Air since to me it seems to have longer range and better priority on some attacks, I mean the better it can actually be for sonic in priority, and it seems pretty good on how far and hard it can send people. Though I may be wrong it is just how I play Sonic, so don't get mad at me if I saying something utterably wrong.

Greaseman

Smash Rookie
I'm not a sonic main, but I found that this instant edge grab is fairly simple. All that i do is dash for the edge and than right as my character is starting the balancing animation (like hes gonna fall off) I smash down on the thumb stick, works every time.

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys for the input... I can't seem to get these techniques down. I don't know if I read wrong or I'm totally off with the button timing -- I never tried the hadouken but that follows my next question. Again, thankyou ^^

And that question being, what exactally IS a "hadouken?" The right button combonations and discription would be useful XD

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
A hadoken is a ball of awesome that you spam to win at Street Fighter. Haha. The hadoken motion is when you spin the control stick in a quarter-circle, starting from the bottom and ending facing your opponent.

If your control stick were a compass, and your opponent is to the right (Or east) of you, then it's south, southwest and west, in one motion.

If you opponent is to the right of you, then it's south, southeast, east.

The reason that Sonic needs to do this is because at full speed, he runs off the edge too fast to snap to the edge. Going into fastfall lets him do it though, hence the hadoken motion.

Top Bottom