• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Trouble with Solo True All Star Normal w/ No Healing

pmort

Smash Cadet
Hi folks. I'm making some solid progress on my Challenge board, basically have the Classic 9.0 No Stock, C9 No Customizations, the All Star Hard modes, collecting stuff, and a bunch of Crazy Order things left...for the most part I'm doing great.

But a couple that are giving me a hell of a time are the All Star Normals without healing between rounds. I struggled to do this on Easy with Zero Suit Samus, and now am going for two challenges by doing this as Captain Falcon (one Challenge with him, and another with anyone that isn't hammer-able) on Normal to kill two birds with one stone, but even though I like Falcon and am comfortable with him, I keep getting destroyed. I'll oftentimes find myself taking 50% damage in the FIRST round, particularly when it's that Pokemon level.

Any tips? I feel like this should be easier than it is, but so far this has been more frustrating than any of the Event w/ rewards conditions, mainly since there's a bigger time investment and I usually get hosed around the 6th match (f'ing Duck Hunt).

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
I don't really have any tips for Captain Falcon, but there are a few easy ways to beat the un-hammer-able challenge. Just use Robin and spam Nosferatu when you have high damage, or use Lucario and wreck at high percentages.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Ahhhhh, thanks for the tip. Should've jumped in here earlier because about three tries after I posted this I finally beat it with the Captain. No tricks, just getting in there and smashing the hell out of everyone. I was running at 278% at the end, nearly got smashed by PacMan, who was my last opponent, but pulled up a shield JUST in time. Was literally shaking afterward.

No joke, this was probably the hardest thing I've done so far.

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
Ah, congrats. Sorry I couldn't help. I didn't even know this was a challenge before I read your thread. I just gave it a go and completed it at 136%. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I also play Captain Falcon quite a bit, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, for anyone who wants this challenge without a hammer, I have a few tips:

• Don't rush unnecessarily.
  • Use the side-b for kills and launching. I found while playing that the AI don't react well to it for some reason.
  • Finish with up-aerials (the tips of his toes decide angle), back-aerials, side smashes, or the knee of justice (watch that landing lag).
  • Don't try meteor smashes unless you're absolutely comfortable with them. The AI tend to air-dodge whenever possible.
  • Don't stay too close to the ledges. The Cap has very bad recovery.
  • Abuse the blast zones. The AI in All-Star don't take much to kill. A smash near the edge can kill at very low percentages.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I don't know what it is, I feel like it shouldn't be nearly as hard, then again maybe I'm not quite as good with Cap as I thought. Maybe because I blew an early attempt and was getting impatient and that was affecting me even more so.

Now I get to do this thing with Duck Hunt on Hard; at least they weren't so sadistic to put in a "No healing" clause on this one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did this challenge today and actually beat it on my first try.

Best advice I can give is play a patience game, but don't be afraid to make follow-ups either. All-Star Mode makes your character hit way harder even on Hard difficulty. Getting an uncharged Side Smash in from the beginning could do 50%-ish no problem. Captain Falcon's U-Air is also really good as a finisher in this mode, as is Raptor Boost (Side B).

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
Now I get to do this thing with Duck Hunt on Hard; at least they weren't so sadistic to put in a "No healing" clause on this one.
Good luck. I'm so trash with Duck Hunt that I've failed that challenge a good dozen times at least. I've only gotten close to beating it maybe once. The up aerial is a good kill move, but the smashes are so laggy, and they only work on flat surfaces for the most part.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did the Duck Hint Duo challenge today. He's one of my mains, so it wasn't too bad. Very tense though.

pmort

Smash Cadet
I did this challenge today and actually beat it on my first try.

Best advice I can give is play a patience game, but don't be afraid to make follow-ups either. All-Star Mode makes your character hit way harder even on Hard difficulty. Getting an uncharged Side Smash in from the beginning could do 50%-ish no problem. Captain Falcon's U-Air is also really good as a finisher in this mode, as is Raptor Boost (Side B).
Yeah, I noticed the enemies have a higher launch (and the player seems a bit lower, I was in 200%+ for a few matches as Duck Hunt). Very grateful for that.

I don't know what it is about All Star that's giving me problems; I'm doing a run through with everyone on Normal for the trophies, and I can do great one moment and then completely bomb the next. I had to retry with DK like five times. I know I can do Easy but my pride demands at least Normal for now (I hammered the All Star Hard with everyone already).

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Did this with the Cap after a few tries; thankfully his forward smash and dash attack are fast and damaging enough to wreck most of the AI on Normal. I really hate Gamer on All-Star now, though, especially if there's a couple of solid platforms on it. Dedede spamming Gordos and Fox and Falco spamming lasers the second they get out of range... *shudder*

pmort

Smash Cadet
Did this with the Cap after a few tries; thankfully his forward smash and dash attack are fast and damaging enough to wreck most of the AI on Normal. I really hate Gamer on All-Star now, though, especially if there's a couple of solid platforms on it. Dedede spamming Gordos and Fox and Falco spamming lasers the second they get out of range... *shudder*
I've gotten burned by Gamer a couple of times. There was one time the mother appeared from the window with almost no warning and the vision lasted barely a second. I got launched.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Lucario is a good choice for this because his attack strength goes up the more damage he takes, was able to two-hit KO most characters by the end but you still can't be too reckless with him.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lucario is a good choice for this because his attack strength goes up the more damage he takes, was able to two-hit KO most characters by the end but you still can't be too reckless with him.
Not to mention that there actually is a Challenge that requires you to beat All-Star with Lucario on at least Normal difficulty. You can use healing items for that Challenge, though.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Not to mention that there actually is a Challenge that requires you to beat All-Star with Lucario on at least Normal difficulty. You can use healing items for that Challenge, though.
I actually done that one with the no-healing challenge together myself. Like I said, Lucario is quite OP at high damage and cus its all stars with everyone having higher launch rates, they can go down in around 2 strong smash attacks starting from about 130% or so.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Absolutely non-plussed right now, but I just beat Hard mode with Duck Hunt. Went into final battle with 100%+ and actually got out of that one relatively unscathed.

Still think that was less frustrating than Falcon on Normal without healing though. :p

My run through with Lucario was pretty low stress. As much as I don' use him, he was pretty good and I felt comfortable with his moveset.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I did the no-healing run with Capt. Falcon last night. It just takes several tries, mostly due to all of the stage damage you are bound to take from time to time. The fights themselves aren't that bad if you stick to a certain set of moves. Use dash attacks or side-B as initial strikes, and follow up with up-airs when you get the chance. Smash attacks should be used sparingly but can be useful at the right time. Those were basically the only attacks I used, and I was able to pull it off.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So, can someone PLEASE tell me how the hell to beat All Star on hard with ****ing Duck Hunt? Before I throw my controller through the wall? This is not ****ing possible.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I've actually done by spamming dash attacks, projectiles and rolls like a For Glory scrub. Ranged attacks can slow down enemies and dash attacks can ramp up damage. I took my sweet time to defeat each opponent, basically I played like the No healing challenge.

Don't random charge smash attacks because in hard mode enemies will hit and/or grab you most of the time, so basically go for an attack, roll away, rinse and repeat THEN go for a kill, it will take some seconds for every character. Every time I've tried to rush a kill I ended up by taking (useless) damage, resulting in a wombo combo and most of the time in a KO, so do not attack stacked enemies unless you're 100% sure you will hit all of them.

All in all is very luck based, because if you fight the last battle in the Luigi Mansion you can easily join at over 100% damage and tech every attack, but if you begin your journey at the pokemon hall you have to kill yourself and try again. I mean, really, is there an hidden script that make those F****** SWORDS fall upon my head EVERY. SINGLE. TIME?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, you basically have to get the "good" stages to have a chance. I have done alright with Kanto, but basically you need Galaxy , Garden of Hope, Onett (I finished a battle there with only 10% damage once), and Halberd for the first four. And Luigi's Mansion for the final battle since you have some protection from getting launched. Not sure about the rest because I have yet to even get to the 6th battle.

And I have been trying a strategy similar to what you described, I just always end up getting a smallish stage where they CPUs just gang up on me and I can't get any spacing or good openings for attacks. And if you throw in a stage like Port Town it's hopeless. You may as well suicide as soon as you draw certain stages.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah, I still can't do this. I've tried it about 100 times and I still. can't. ****ing. do it. I will get to the 5th match and then Yoshi, Falcon and Dr Mario will just annihilate me and there' s not a goddamn thing I can do about it. Duck Hunt's aerials have terrible range, his smash attacks are bad, his trick shot will always backfire when the CPUs are ganging up on you. There is nothing you can do. I HATE this challenge more than anything.

Have I mentioned DH's moves have terrible KO potential? I have to get every CPU up to 220% damage before they ****ing die. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

pmort

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I still can't do this. I've tried it about 100 times and I still. can't. ****ing. do it. I will get to the 5th match and then Yoshi, Falcon and Dr Mario will just annihilate me and there' s not a goddamn thing I can do about it. Duck Hunt's aerials have terrible range, his smash attacks are bad, his trick shot will always backfire when the CPUs are ganging up on you. There is nothing you can do. I HATE this challenge more than anything.
The frisbee/can/shooter mix is handy when they're at a distance, but it's a massive PITA to do in practice. Typically the start of the match is the worst and I tried to get them bunched together so they were easier to manage, but they definitely make it a point to get on both sides of you which makes doing this rough.

I found that using those moves can be handy if you want to try to confuse the CPU, but I ultimately wound up getting better with Duck Hunt and employing a mix of direct engagement and special spam to get through this one. I would directly engage a separated opponent with the exception of those with counters because jesus f*** they seem to counter EVERYTHING. Duck Hunt's neutral air seemed to do a fair bit of damage and I employed that fairly liberally when they would keep ganging up on me.

Try and keep at it. It seems hopeless then BAM suddenly you finish it off.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Welp. Made it to the final battle (at LAST), with 117% damage, praying for Luigi's Mansion. Nope. Got Delfino Plaza, and got combo comboed before I could KO a single computer. **** this.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Man, the No Healing w Captain Falcon challenge was a piece of cake compared to the Duck Hunt one. It did take a bit to get it down though.

Just got the Classic on 8.0 with 2 characters challenge, so I have 3 no-hammer challenges left. So close.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Man, the No Healing w Captain Falcon challenge was a piece of cake compared to the Duck Hunt one. It did take a bit to get it down though.
I was the other way around. I found Duck Hunt manageable (hard still, but could work a little bit more with it since I could heal), but with Craptain Falcon it was a case of a thousand little cuts that ultimately added up and I always paid for it in either round 6 or 7.

I dunno why I had a hell of a time with it, but the Captain Falcon no-heal has been the hardest thing I've done (at least, up until this Classic 9.0 no death nonsense which is my last non-collectible).

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Right, but you only have to do it on Normal. There seems to be a world of difference between Normal and Hard. Seriously, it is a damn miracle if I can finish the first round with <60% damage. And there is ALWAYS someone along the way, usually multiple characters, who just **** me up no matter what I do. They read everything I try to do and counter it perfectly and there isn't a goddamn thing I can do about it.

I only have that and the Classic 9.0 no death challenge. I have no idea how I'm going to do that one either, but it will probably involve both auto-heal and vampire equipment. I'm guessing Mega Man or Fox are the best candidates at this point, but I don't have any auto-heal equipment for Mega Man yet.

Top Bottom