• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble With Learning Characters

Umby

Smash Master
So I was talking with Roxy just now:

[23:11] tehumby: Man, I don't get it
[23:11] Pervatasaurus: Sup?
[23:11] tehumby: I've been playing Melee with my brother a lot lately
[23:11] tehumby: to get SOME kind of practice in
[23:11] tehumby: I alternate between Marth and Fox, using mostly Marth
[23:12] tehumby: And for a couple of days, all I did was tech chase and edgeguard him
[23:12] tehumby: For the past few days, I've been trying to work on Fox
[23:12] tehumby: and I gradually started getting accustomed to him
[23:12] tehumby: doing **** I didn't think I'd normally do
[23:12] tehumby: I switch back to Marth for like the next 20 matches, and I can't seem to get back in the groove with him.
[23:13] tehumby: This happens with like every character I play in any Smash game.
[23:13] Pervatasaurus: duh
[23:13] Pervatasaurus: you tasted the power of fox
[23:13] Pervatasaurus: but seriously
[23:13] Pervatasaurus: just stop alternating until you're fully solid with them, i would think that would solve your problem
[23:13] Pervatasaurus: when you're solid it's still going to take a few matches to warm up, but you'll get back into your character
[23:14] Pervatasaurus: since well, you know what to change in your playstyle with each character
[23:14] tehumby: Well Sleepy suggested the same thing too
[23:14] tehumby: and when I chilled with him at that random SPSU smashfest, all I used was Marth, and I got soooo bored.
[23:14] Pervatasaurus: yeah
[23:14] Pervatasaurus: it sucks
[23:14] Pervatasaurus: lol
[23:15] tehumby: I just honestly need the change to have fun
[23:15] tehumby: Unless it's tournament
[23:15] tehumby: then it's only a matter of who I'm doing better with at that moment.
[23:16] tehumby: Hours of Smash though? I can't stay on one guy.
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: I understand that
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: smash becomes a chore more than a fun event for you when tha thappens
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: even though i play peach/snake
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: i still use ike and other character i'd never touch in tourney, just to do something different
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: just t otry something out i'd never be willing to try
[23:16] Pervatasaurus: but then again, the problem with that is that i have no discipline, and because of that when the time comes for me to play in tournament
[23:17] Pervatasaurus: i haven't gotten to small points of sklil that i've needed with the characters I will used because I spend time using other characters
[23:17] Pervatasaurus: like, if the idea of competition and getting better isn't fun to you, and doesn't drive to play a whole day of marth, you probably aren't doing well competitively because of it
[23:18] tehumby: Getting better is definitely fun, but I like shifting focus between characters to get better with both of them.
[23:18] tehumby: People have a main and a secondary for a reason, after all.
[23:19] Pervatasaurus: that's true
[23:20] Pervatasaurus: however it goes the same way
[23:20] Pervatasaurus: if you don't understand everything about your first character (primary, most important) you shouldn't begin with your secondary

It's not that I don't want to get better with my characters, but I'd like to be able to compromise so that I can get better with at least two characters at the same time. I generally can't have fun in anything I do unless there's a break in the monotony. What opinions do you guys have to offer on the matter?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Have you tried switching often? When I practice, I try not to get into the habit of using one of my characters for a long period of time. Just switch every set or so; that way, it stays fresh in your mind.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I do this when I'm practicing almost all the time, unless someone wants to train on a certain character (in my case, usually MK). I'm in agreement with Reflex in that it's a good way to keep things fresh, and in some ways it helps you understand other characters better, more or less.

Also in my case, there's always the risk of MK getting banned (and with MK's dominance becoming more and more obvious, I feel it's getting closer to actually happening sometime, but I can't say for certain when it might happen), so learning to play other characters is a good way for me to fall back onto something should that ever occur. >_>

BBQ°

Smash Champion
yes. switch characters often. it keeps things fresh plus your skill between characters will get better. I used to only know how to play marth, but I've played fox/falco/falcon enough for me to only suck with them, and not be completely unusable.

I used to have the same problem as you, Umby, where I had trouble accumulating whenever I switched characters. That problem went away when I started playing more. Even now when I don't play as much smash, I don't have that problem, so it's only a temporary thing for your level of skill.

Rayku

Smash Lord
I can't say I've ever had this problem so I'm sorry. Throughout the years I've shuffled through so many different mains (in Melee) that it's embarrassing, but it gave me a full grasp on a lot of things.

All I would suggest is that if your mindset is to get better with your character and overall as a player, then keep to the characters you would play in tournament. If it gets boring, then you're not learning/studying what you're doing in order to make yourself better, but it really helps if you have someone of equal skill to you or someone better (in which case, if you get bored and you're studying, just ask the person you're playing with for some advice)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Wise words from Rayku.

Also, if you're getting bored, then you're not being creative enough and you're not being risky enough (and as stated, you're probably not learning much either). During my first few months at SPSU when I had Rayku training, I would do a bunch of ******** **** to learn my limits and just to figure out stuff. It also made it a lot of fun =D

Purple

Hi guys!
Wise words from Rayku.

Also, if you're getting bored, then you're not being creative enough and you're not being risky enough (and as stated, you're probably not learning much either). During my first few months at SPSU when I had Rayku training, I would do a bunch of ******** **** to learn my limits and just to figure out stuff. It also made it a lot of fun =D
Why in the hell would you -want- to do ******** ****.

Purple

Hi guys!
Playing unorthodox is different than playing ********. Going for snake spikes on stage is unorthodox, however you still can live since you're on stage and if they get hit they get spiked. Jumping entirely off the stage to your doom to spike someone is ********.

Matthew Jackson

Smash Cadet
I have a lot of fun just being one character, just so long as I'm playing with other human beings and not the CPU or my feet.

Top Bottom