• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with DJC

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble executing a double-jump cancel. Which seems kind of silly; How hard can tap y twice and then attack be? Does anyone have a technique that'll make my DJC more fluid or is it just a matter of practice? Is it better to use the control stick or a button when DJCing or perhaps a combination of the two? Basically any help with Double jump cancelling will make me happy.

Thanks

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
You have to do it fast lol. I find it better to do it with one button. Double tap (real fast) X or Y, whatever you prefer and then right after you press Y or X the second time, press A (immediately) and do a Nair for example. Soon as you hit the ground press Z, L, or R to cancel. Rinse and repeat. :)

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Izuhu. Not sure why this is giving me so much trouble, hitting button sequences fast has never really been a problem. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to something different. I'm really only using this to improve my mewtwo during super casual matches, heh. Other than that it was just something I was curious about.

Also, is it better to use A for DJC characters? Most of the time when I'm shffling I use the c-stick since it's easier to space aerials. Might be different for the DJC crowd though. Anyways, thanks again.

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
The character that you're using might change how you approach doing it.
For example, I find with Yoshi you need to wait a little bit longer than with the other characters with DJC before cancelling your double jump or you pretty much won't do anything because of how low Yoshi goes in his double jump animation. With Ness, go as fast as you want really, I've rarely gone too fast that my aerial doesn't get out. I don't know enough about Mewtwo and Peach to tell you about them.
In terms of methods, what I prefer is to just double tap X-->aerial, but I know that some people like to use a combination of X/Y and control stick, and another method you can use is to roll your thumb across X, Y, and A.
I don't know if some people prefer to use C-Stick when DJCing, I find it easier to use A because it lets me cancel faster since it's closer.
But overall, my recommendation is to go into training mode with whichever character you are gonna be using DJC with and get used to that character's specific DJC mechanics, use slow-mo if you like, and keep in mind that DJC has more uses than just being able to use aerials faster / closer to the ground than with a SH, you can also use it to surprise your opponent because of the awkward timing in which you begin to fall, and remember that you can of course FF out of it, which is really helpful in many situations.
Edit: Made this post before I saw you mention Mewtwo
Sorry, I don't know too much about Mewtwo, but I hope this helps! :)

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
if it helps you can press y then x the a+direction to get the djc out really fast. sometimes i do that, namely for the really fast mewtwo nairs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Keep in mind that it still matters whether or not you full hop. I noticed DJC uairs with Yoshi are a lot slower if you don't FH because you take longer to reach the minimum height necessary to aerial. Also practice all the different heights, DJ timings, and aerial timings. It can be tempting to just learn one timing when you're first starting out, and until you get the general finger patterns down that's fine, but you should expand your arsenal with different timings as soon as you can so it becomes natural and lets you do what you want more easily. For the record, I use YY -> A + control stick.

Top Bottom