• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with 3.5 bomb jumping

THEDADPOOL

Smash Cadet
I used to be able to bomb jump fine in 3.5 but now the only way i seem to get it is if use my double jump. Is it just me or does it require that now.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I used to be able to bomb jump fine in 3.5 but now the only way i seem to get it is if use my double jump. Is it just me or does it require that now.
There IS a way to do it using the AGT upwards. It's not the best and it's unorthodox. I play Link in Melee as well so I'm used to the way it's done now. The stale moves property still applies(if you use spin attack within the same 10 moves and then try to spin attack it will fail due to the move having less knock back and damage to break the bomb). In order to perform the bomb jump in 3.5, you need to soft throw the bomb upwards, spin attack upwards and drift backwards into the bomb striking it with the very last hit of spin attack in the air. The bomb jump is different due to a multitude of things. AGT(Aerial Glide Toss) decay, item weights being changed, and throw distance changed. The weight of items is now scaled to what it was in Melee. Throwing a bomb while grounded, you can clearly see how items weigh more than they did before. Now after you hit the bomb jump, make sure you're aware of this as well. In order to go towards the stage, you need to be facing away from the stage when performing the bomb jump and have the proper DI so when you are hit by the bomb, you will be knocked back toward the stage. Hopefully some of what I said helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Roddy

Smash Rookie
I made a video about this, like a month ago, I don't know if it helps but there are 2 different ways to perform a bomb jump

Here's the video:

It is pretty tricky to do, thou.
You can either perform it like in melee (withouth AGT) now I'm not sure but doing it this way i think it gives you less height and it's kinda risky due to you keep falling when you're throwing it, and the second way is as always with AGT, you just need to do it pretty fast and as Italian N1nja said, hit it with the last hitbox of the spin attack. I hope it helps :)

I'm new to the community and english is not my first language, so... sorry about my possible bad grammar ^^'

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
I made a video about this, like a month ago, I don't know if it helps but there are 2 different ways to perform a bomb jump

Here's the video:

It is pretty tricky to do, thou.
You can either perform it like in melee (withouth AGT) now I'm not sure but doing it this way i think it gives you less height and it's kinda risky due to you keep falling when you're throwing it, and the second way is as always with AGT, you just need to do it pretty fast and as Italian N1nja said, hit it with the last hitbox of the spin attack. I hope it helps :)

I'm new to the community and english is not my first language, so... sorry about my possible bad grammar ^^'

You posted that on the 18th, so I assume that's pre-3.5?

Derp, nevermind, I thought 3.5 had come out after that.

Last edited:

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Italian ninja put it pretty nicely
To put it simply, while recovering toss a bomb up and try and strike it behind you with up b
I find its easier to do with the least horizontal momentum, that way you can up b straight up and hit right and left quickly to catch the explosion (assuming recovering from left stage)

Hunter Sidell (Gus)

Smash Rookie
NNID
huntersidell
There IS a way to do it using the AGT upwards. It's not the best and it's unorthodox. I play Link in Melee as well so I'm used to the way it's done now. The stale moves property still applies(if you use spin attack within the same 10 moves and then try to spin attack it will fail due to the move having less knock back and damage to break the bomb). In order to perform the bomb jump in 3.5, you need to soft throw the bomb upwards, spin attack upwards and drift backwards into the bomb striking it with the very last hit of spin attack in the air. The bomb jump is different due to a multitude of things. AGT(Aerial Glide Toss) decay, item weights being changed, and throw distance changed. The weight of items is now scaled to what it was in Melee. Throwing a bomb while grounded, you can clearly see how items weigh more than they did before. Now after you hit the bomb jump, make sure you're aware of this as well. In order to go towards the stage, you need to be facing away from the stage when performing the bomb jump and have the proper DI so when you are hit by the bomb, you will be knocked back toward the stage. Hopefully some of what I said helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
So I have a question. If you can't use spin attack to bomb jump within 10 moves because of stale properties, then could you say spam a move like nair 10 times removing the stale from up b? Also when bomb jumping why would you want to be facing away from the stage? Is it even possible to turn Link around when recovering?

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to throw this out here... Instead of doing melee bomb jump, everyone needs to be doing the AGT in place method. It works just like melee but you lose less height, which allows you to do it lower without dying.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
So I have a question. If you can't use spin attack to bomb jump within 10 moves because of stale properties, then could you say spam a move like nair 10 times removing the stale from up b? Also when bomb jumping why would you want to be facing away from the stage? Is it even possible to turn Link around when recovering?
I think so. That's a great question actually I've never tested that myself. When you're performing the bomb jump, Link will be sent in the opposite direction that he is facing when the bomb connects and the explosion occurs. If you are facing towards the stage and bomb jump, it will be more difficult for you to recover although you will successfully refresh your aerial spin attack. Go to Versus>Rules on the top of the screen>set it to time>select the infinite option>Go to any stage you'd like in a controlled environment>practice. When you practice this enough you'll understand what I mean. You can turn Link around with special moves through a technique called B-reversals where you input the special move and immediately afterwards input the direction to go on the analog stick.

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
I've never heard of a requirement of facing away from the stage? To bomb jump just try and do the trick with no agt and the least horizontal momentum you can get. You can land the explosion hit box with the backwards shoulder of the up b if you go straight up and quickly hit forward backwards, just like in melee. Of course there are slight other ways of doing this but I've had the most success like this.

Hunter Sidell (Gus)

Smash Rookie
NNID
huntersidell
Well I finally figured out how to do it consistently. I just throw bomb upwards, then immediately up b straight up and leant back into the bomb. And then of course I DI towards the stage. However because of stale properties, I can only use it once per stock. Which sucks because that means I can't use Links up b against someone without sacrificing a bomb jump

Top Bottom